50 somethings

cstein71
cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
Looking for other people my age for support trying to manage weight, and fitness with the challenges that also come with being in 50s.

Replies

• ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    Hi! I'm 52 and am newly active with the app. I don't really enjoy exercise, so keeping in touch with a group may help motivate me. Thanks for creating this group! Cathy
  • RetireeWanabe
    RetireeWanabe Posts: 8 Member
    Hi There! I am 51 (I keep saying 52 because it's only a month away and I am trying it out for size). I definitely understand those challenges!
  • sheilahg99
    sheilahg99 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there: I just started today and am so impressed with My Fitness Pal. Its so easy to use. I would definitely love to be part of a group to support and encourage each other. I am 52 year old. I need to lose weight, exercise, and get healthy!
  • tgrodzki123
    tgrodzki123 Posts: 1 Member
    Good morning. At 52, I am just re-starting for the third time in three years. After having been plagued by a series of injuries, my weightloss has sidelined each and every time. This injury has completely eliminated my ability to work my upper body and has forced me to focus on diet and only cardio. Since, diet is the main catalyst to my weightloss goal I met with a dietician to develop a healthy and realistic weight loss diet. I learned so much. My starting weight is 155 lbs while my goal weight is actually to get to a size 4 by May 2019. My objective is not just weight loss but rather to be stronger, firmer and healthier than I am now.
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Hi All! Just checking in. I’ve just finished with day 3 and so far so good. I’m spending a lot of time logging my food, but I hope as my “library” of foods increases it will get easier...
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Have no idea how to add friends but would love some if you want to add me!

Tammy - it's easy to add friends. This is for the computer app.

1) Click on the username in the left sidebar. A window will open.
    2) Click on the username again. That will take you to the user's profile page.
    3) Click on the "Add Friend" button to the right of the profile photo. There is an option to send a message with a request. Just note where you saw the user - something you might have in common - a little bit about yourself. It always helps to introduce yourself - even on the intarwebz!

• alteredsteve175
    Hi All! Just checking in. I’ve just finished with day 3 and so far so good. I’m spending a lot of time logging my food, but I hope as my “library” of foods increases it will get easier...

Hang in there, Kathleen. It does get much easier once your list of foods is entered. Rarely have to look anything up after a month or two

• alteredsteve175
    edited July 2018
    There's an over 50 group here. It doesn't get a lot of activity, but maybe we can change that.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

Add me as a friend if you like. I'm over 50 - way over - HAHA! Please send a message with the request.
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    cabwj,

Congratulations on being smoke free! I’ve known people who have quit and it is very difficult so kudos to you! Best wishes on your weight loss journey!

Kathleen
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    There's an over 50 group here. It doesn't get a lot of activity, but maybe we can change that.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

Add me as a friend if you like. I'm over 50 - way over - HAHA! Please send a message with the request.

I just joined the group.
  • ecoughlin2014
    ecoughlin2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I just started MFP about 2 weeks ago. Looking to find support as well. My daughter used MFP to lose 30 pounds! She is now a rockclimber and super fit. Anyway, I'd like to lose 40 pounds but I'm taking it one pound at a time. Please add me as a friend if you like. Thanks!
  • Johnk942
    Johnk942 Posts: 109 Member
    56 here! This is a great app with equally good support. I think there are a lot of peers here as well. All of them I have gotten to know have been really encouraging.
  • radicalmom
    radicalmom Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi. I am a formerly fit person who moved 5 years ago and have since put on an additional 15 pounds. Trying to get fit again and see if I can take some of the weight off as well. I lost my daily bicycle commute and stopped running as much. Well ...I am slowly trying to run three days a week and go to the gym twice a week and do Group Power (weights) and yoga once or twice a week. . I have logged in for over a week and have made a serious effort on changing some bad habits of eating over stress and boredom and because it looks good and I can't say no. Would love to make friends for support and encouragement.