I keep binging

Every time I see a certain number on the scale it's like my brain goes right binge time and I have no Idea why I'm not being overly restrictive I'm fitting treats into my daily allowance although I'm not sure I should be because then it becomes a habit sometimes I'm just having my treat because I have calories left I'm not actually hungry. I've read that you shouldn't aim for more than 1% of your body weight to loss per week well I'm 178lbs so I should be able to lose 1.5 per week but that puts me at 1200 calories. Please help

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    Puts me at 1450 to lose 1lb a week but I'll never get there doing it that slow that takes me right past Christmas :( I don't have a problem with the calories it's the binging when I see 11.11 or there abouts on the scale

so you think what you're doing now is more sustainable? ok. good luck.

Well I was eating anywhere between 1200-2000 calories or more but it didn't stop me binging when I saw that "magic" number on the scale thing is I never binged before mfp I overate sure but never binged
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Puts me at 1450 to lose 1lb a week but I'll never get there doing it that slow that takes me right past Christmas :( I don't have a problem with the calories it's the binging when I see 11.11 or there abouts on the scale

Well I was eating anywhere between 1200-2000 calories or more but it didn't stop me binging when I saw that "magic" number on the scale thing is I never binged before mfp I overate sure but never binged

why is it 'magic' for you?
  • angelsja

its not just my brain seems to think so its not even my goal its 11-12lbs off my goal but my brain doesn't seem to care
  • angelsja
    dirtswife wrote: »
    You may not want to take advice from the newbie with no posts, but I have many, many years of experience. Limit how often you weight yourself. The scale is just a number that may or may not reflect the work you have done. If you can stay off the scale and only weigh in once a month it may help. It's a journey, not a race.

think only weighing once a month would be worse cause then i'd think oh i have all month to "fix" this eat what you want
  • angelsja
    Deviette wrote: »
    If the scale is your trigger, stop looking at the scale. Either step on it less often (think once a month) or don't use it at all and use other methods of measuring your success. Measure yourself with a tape measure or how much you can run or lift or whatever. Something that isn't a scale.

How long has this been going on for? Personally I get an awful need to binge at certain times depending where I am in my menstrual cycle. When it sets in, all I can do is try my best to limit the damage. I want to eat an entire jar of nutella? I have a couple of teaspoons of nutella. I want all the chips? I have half the chips. Sometimes the decision isn't between eating something and not eating something. It's eating something, or eating less of that thing. And in that case, less is always a better option.
    At the end of the day you have to control your bingeing. Sometimes there isn't an easy fix, you just have to try hard to resist. I've found it does get easier.

from the data i have from my weigh ins 4 times since January started in April with my first binge then pretty much every month since then :(
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    I would suggest just managing your calories and don't weight at all. Since weighing is a trigger for you. Measure something else waist size, pant size whatever doesn't create this trigger with a negative outcome.
  • angelsja
    edited July 2018

its not just my brain seems to think so its not even my goal its 11-12lbs off my goal but my brain doesn't seem to care

so what are you going to do about it, if eating more isn't an option?

by the way, being 11-12lbs from goal means you should not be eating at such a steep deficit.

no more than 1% of your body weight per week is what ive consistently read on here which for me would be 1.7lbs im set at 1lb per week :/ and im not at 11-12lbs from gaol now that is my trigger number im 18lbs away from my first goal
  • angelsja
    i also struggle with the should i eat if not hungry thing like today ive logged all my food and come in at 1067 should i eat more even if im not hungry
  • angelsja

so what are you going to do about it, if eating more isn't an option?

by the way, being 11-12lbs from goal means you should not be eating at such a steep deficit.

no more than 1% of your body weight per week is what ive consistently read on here which for me would be 1.7lbs im set at 1lb per week :/ and im not at 11-12lbs from gaol now that is my trigger number im 18lbs away from my first goal

you obviously have an answer to everything, so again i'll just say good luck.

im not not eating enough as i explained earlier im ok with the calories im on and dont feel deprived as when i exercise i eat some of those back too