intermittent Fasting

Is anyone doing this? Does it actually work? and is it healthy?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Does it work for what?

When I wanted to lose weight it worked when I ate in a deficit. It also worked when I wanted to maintain as I ate at maintenance. When I wanted to purposefully gain weight it also worked as I ate in a calorie surplus.

It was healthy because I ate what I consider a healthy diet.

I do it because it can make being in a deficit easier for me, and it suits my schedule and how I like to eat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    If you like eating one or two meals a day instead of the traditional three meals a day with snacks, then do the two meals a day.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    It seems to be a significant part of Keto but I am not that far into it yet. I can say this though, when I was counting calories to a deficit there was no way I could skip a meal and still needed snacks. It is now noon and wonder if I could skip lunch? I guess it is time for more research on this.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I do it because it helps me keep a deficit. Basically it stops the mindless evening snacks for me. Also, once I eat in the morning, I want to keep eating for some reason. If I wait to start eating until later, it cuts out a morning snack.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    I regularly practice IF, usually sticking to two meals per day, and occasionally throwing in a 24 hour fast. It helps me keep to my calorie deficit and to enjoy larger meals as I'm definitely a quantity eater. I follow a Keto diet which I find to be very satiating making it easy for me to go longer between meals.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    I personally eat based on CICO, but a couple weeks ago stopped having breakfast. I did this to allow myself more calories for later in the day when I was really more hungry and wanting to eat. It kick started the plateau I had been on. I don't think I could do actual 16 hours without food though.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member

Alidecker wrote: »
    I do it because it helps me keep a deficit. Basically it stops the mindless evening snacks for me. Also, once I eat in the morning, I want to keep eating for some reason. If I wait to start eating until later, it cuts out a morning snack.

Exactly why I do it....I found that when I ate breakfast at 6:30ish...by 9 I was hungry again so I would have to have a snack, so now I just wait until lunch. Plus I am pretty disciplined now with not eating after supper.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think IF has a few possible health benefits for people. I know it can improve insulin resistance even without weight loss.
    rsclause wrote: »
    It seems to be a significant part of Keto but I am not that far into it yet. I can say this though, when I was counting calories to a deficit there was no way I could skip a meal and still needed snacks. It is now noon and wonder if I could skip lunch? I guess it is time for more research on this.

I think keto and IF happen often together because many keto'ers have a lower appetite.

I used to eat every couple of hours or I'd end up up with the shakes, headaches, and hangries. Before keto, about 2pm was when I'd be eating for the third or fourth time. After a few months of keto, 2 pm became breakfast.

This was me also. I would have an egg McMuffin or two eggs with english muffin w/ butter & jam and bacon at 6:00 AM. By 9:00 I would literally shake so bad it was difficult to write my name. I would than have a snack bar. Compare that to today with scrambled eggs with cheese & bacon, Never wanted food til lunch and wasn't starving either.
  • mazarasltm
    mazarasltm Posts: 205 Member
    edited August 2018
    Is anyone doing this? Does it actually work? and is it healthy?

Doing it. Working so far. Upon thinking about this I did this without knowing throughout highschool. No breakfast. No money for lunch. Only dinner. Eat what was put in front of me. No second portions. No wonder my family called me skinny. Healthy? Dieting is crashing your metabolism. Be prepared mentally. Lifestyle change means dieting for life. No going back. I comes back on real fast.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I love it. I have spent lots of time doing it. Your body loves it also when it comes to burning unwanted fat. Your body takes approximately 12 hrs to stop producing insulin. Insulin stores glucose (sugars) in fat cells for later consumption. That 4 hours after that process has stopped is a great time to pick up your heart rate and burn some much needed fat storage. Work hard during this time and you will see results quickly

Completely wrong.