Keto diet

Replies

• xrsize4dad
    xrsize4dad Posts: 29 Member
    So far it's working for me.. Time will tell, but as other stated you still have be mindful (track) your micro's.
  • Junebug2022
    Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
    I’ve been trying on and off for the last 6 weeks, i get super moody and depressed after 3 or 4 days of 20 grams of carbs.

My appetite is under control and the small meals don’t bother me, but my mental state is in the gutter, so I can’t do it. Be aware of that.
  • RichardG156
    RichardG156 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm on my second week of keto and starting to reduce calories. Send me a friend request Rachel if you want to see how i get on and feel free to look/laugh at my diary. Good luck with achieving any goal you have set yourself. 😀
  • michael_m1989
    michael_m1989 Posts: 37 Member
    I love the Keto diet! But it's just not sustainable long term. Plus every time I've gotten off of it, the weight came back. It's great for a quick weight loss, but for a long term healthy choice, I wouldn't do it.
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    I have done Keto and love it, but I have a hard time sustaining it. What I find works for me is M-F I try to keep my carb intake to 20-25% most of that comes from fruit. On the weekends I’ll splurge and have some toast or a pancake with my breakfast. I’m T2 and I’ve been able to bring down my A1C from 6.7 to 5.6 by following this plan, it works for me because I don’t feel deprived of anything! What you need to do is play around with different eating plans and find one that works for you. As mentioned many times in previous responses, you have to expend more calories than you take in to lose weight. Good Luck on your journey!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I love the Keto diet! But it's just not sustainable long term. Plus every time I've gotten off of it, the weight came back. It's great for a quick weight loss, but for a long term healthy choice, I wouldn't do it.

What part do you consider to be unhealthy? I'm curious because I'm someone who's done it for a fair bit.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Are you interested in keto becaused of the alleged "extra" weightloss, or because you naturally prefer foods high in fat over carby foods?

I guess I’m interested in Keto because I’ve just had a hard time sticking to calorie restrictive diets

So you're going to try a calorie restrictive diet with extra restrictions?

I’ve heard you should feel more satisfied on this diet than a normal calorie restricted one...

I am doing the Whole 30, which isn't exactly keto, but low carb and higher fat than I've had before. My appetite is significantly suppressed and I've lost 7 pounds in 24 days -- much more than I would have expected. I'm just not terribly hungry. It's partially the filling meals, and partially the 'inability' to snack on chips/crackers/bread the way I used to.
  • yurita87
    yurita87 Posts: 18 Member
    I'm on my second week of keto and starting to reduce calories. Send me a friend request Rachel if you want to see how i get on and feel free to look/laugh at my diary. Good luck with achieving any goal you have set yourself. 😀

Can I add you? I'm on day 4 and loving it! Even went for a work out yesterday. Feeling happy and energized!
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    If you like fatty foods, it might be for you. Personally, I can't stomach so much fat (and small amounts don't satiate me), and I don't really like eggs or eat a lot of meat, so Keto would be not sustainable for me. Try it and find out for yourself.
  • Junebug2022
    Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I’ve been trying on and off for the last 6 weeks, i get super moody and depressed after 3 or 4 days of 20 grams of carbs.

My appetite is under control and the small meals don’t bother me, but my mental state is in the gutter, so I can’t do it. Be aware of that.

There is a chance that your mental state is due to low electrolytes. The most common symptoms are fatigue, moodiness, headache and brain fog.

You need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. There is 2300 mg sodium in a teaspoon of salt. Drinking a couple of cups of salty broth or boullion, eating salt tablets or a teaspoon of salt with water, or drinking shots of pickle juice may help.

Thanks for the comment, idk what it was, but it was really bad. I just eat around 40 net carbs a day and that crazy stuff stays away.
  • aledcatherall
    aledcatherall Posts: 2 Member
    I personally don't buy into diets which cut out foodgroups. I suspect they do more harm than good. For me counting calories works best. I eat whatever I like (which can include burgers and pizza and Ice cream) and over a period of a week has a good balance across all food groups. My problem is portion control and snacking, not the food itself. But, if the diet works for you then go for it!
  • LtRedShirt
    LtRedShirt Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm doing keto now and have lost a lot of weight and inches because of it. I try to stay around 20-30g a day. I had an unexpected side effect when I first started working out hard and not getting enough carbs. I started to feel less and less hungry as I started to workout more to the point of almost starving simply because I got sick at the thought of eating. Someone told me that the body needs a certain amount of carbs to regulate appetite and keep that balance. I ate more carbs and it worked itself out. Overall, I think I'll stick with it.
  • tiffie_taffy
    tiffie_taffy Posts: 17 Member
    I’m new to the Keto diet but have been doing fantastic since Sunday. If you looking for a new Keto buddy feel free to add me!
  • derekcrowther
    derekcrowther Posts: 1 Member
    Keto for life. I've lost 70 LBS since I started in March.