What to do cardio-wise after losing weight?

I reached my goal weight. I was doing 1 hour -1.5 at the gym whilst losing weight. Now I’m done, but this seems like a lot as it’s beginning to strain my joints day-to-day. I know some will recommend strength training but I have little interest in building muscle and wish to just stay as I am. How much cardio is OKAY? And what is a routine you would reccomend. Thank you! I appreciate all that respond 😁

Replies

• chloevieira3918
    chloevieira3918 Posts: 14 Member
    Do 20-30 mins of walking on the treadmill or doing the elliptical. You'll maintain with this.

That sounds great. Thank you
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Just do what you enjoy and can keep doing for the long term and balance it out with how much you eat. If you like to walk, walk. If you like to dance then dance and so on
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Find activities you enjoy doing. Walk the dog, hike in the mountains, swim, bike on a rail trail, dance, take classes like Jazzercise or Pilates or Orange Theory. As stated above, do at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise for health and fitness. You may find an activity you enjoy enough to do more than that.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I reached my goal weight. I was doing 1 hour -1.5 at the gym whilst losing weight. Now I’m done, but this seems like a lot as it’s beginning to strain my joints day-to-day. I know some will recommend strength training but I have little interest in building muscle and wish to just stay as I am. How much cardio is OKAY? And what is a routine you would reccomend. Thank you! I appreciate all that respond 😁

It depends on you. I lean bulk (gain weight to add muscles and gain minimal fat) and cut (lose weight and try to preserve as much muscles as I can). Therefore when I end my cut, I usually stick to maintenance for 2 weeks and then I start my lean bulk.

In your case, you are not interested in building muscles, so I suggest you just stay at maintenance. Cardio is all up to you, it is not necessary for you to do cardio in order to maintain your weight. Calories matter for body composition. With that said, you can still do them for health reasons, just make sure you still eat at maintenance.

As for a routine, I don't know what routine to give you considering that you do not want to build muscles. The whole point of a workout routine is for you to build some muscles or at least maintain them.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I'm a wimp. I walk 3.5 miles most days and always do 30 minutes of walking with elevated heart rate.
  • dani_lopera
    dani_lopera Posts: 27 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I'm a wimp. I walk 3.5 miles most days and always do 30 minutes of walking with elevated heart rate.

How does that make you a wimp?
  • chloevieira3918
    chloevieira3918 Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you everyone!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Wondering the same. I do about this amount maybe more of walking. Also weight training. They work great together.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member

Exactly. The cardio (if we are calling the 3.5 mile walk "cardio") simply helps to burn some additional calories. That might allow you to eat some more food. :-)

I find that - while weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories out - that I do much better when I am in the gym (training sessions). I just recently added cardio to the mix (I used to run a lot and really enjoy running....but all I am doing now is about 30 minutes on the treadmill four times a week...maybe five times a week). But, that is just me. Everyone is different.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Exactly. The cardio (if we are calling the 3.5 mile walk "cardio") simply helps to burn some additional calories. That might allow you to eat some more food. :-)

I find that - while weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories out - that I do much better when I am in the gym (training sessions). I just recently added cardio to the mix (I used to run a lot and really enjoy running....but all I am doing now is about 30 minutes on the treadmill four times a week...maybe five times a week). But, that is just me. Everyone is different.

Walking is considered low impact cardio. So, yes, we are.

I do not disagree.....that thing called L.I.S.S.! Some people get funny and call their walking "NEAT"! :-) 6:1, half-dozen the other.....all part of "calories out"! No matter what the letters associated with it are!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

Walking is considered low impact cardio. So, yes, we are.

I do not disagree.....that thing called L.I.S.S.! Some people get funny and call their walking "NEAT"! :-) 6:1, half-dozen the other.....all part of "calories out"! No matter what the letters associated with it are!

Can't they be both? For example, I walk all day at work which explains why my metabolism is high. On one hand, I know it's kind of a low steady cardio, but at the same time, these little walks and movement I make at work can also be classified in the NEAT definition if we read the definition on this website https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12468415

Zactly!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    I exercise for health benefits. I think the american heart association recommends 150 min. of low intensity (such as walking) per week or 75 min of high intensity (such as running) - after a quick google search.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I exercise for health benefits. I think the american heart association recommends 150 min. of low intensity (such as walking) per week or 75 min of high intensity (such as running) - after a quick google search.

This for me as well. I consider weight management a secondary benefit.