Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    hwg63 wrote: »
    I just found this discussion, and this is what I need. I can go AF for a few days, and I enjoy feeling healthy, strong, rested and clear headed. Then, I slip, and I don't know why. I look forward to giving and receiving support here.

Welcome, @hwg63 We look forward to having you around.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Before bed, I went looking for an article about why my brain never lets me stop at one drink... this article enlightened me a little bit.

https://fit-recovery.com/top-reason-alcoholics-just-cant-stop-one-drink/

Good night, friends. Xo

I seemed to prioritise things in that order, with alcohol at the top, but I still had alarm bells go off after a couple of drinks and would stop before doing anything stupid or getting drunk.

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    edited July 2018
    hwg63 wrote: »
    I just found this discussion, and this is what I need. I can go AF for a few days, and I enjoy feeling healthy, strong, rested and clear headed. Then, I slip, and I don't know why. I look forward to giving and receiving support here.

Welcome to our group! I'm glad you found us. There are lots of links, hints, and information on the first page. You will find lots of support here. Post when you can, or want to. Success and not so successful are shared, so feel free to share your journey with us.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Thank you <3 I feel fine with my decision not to drink I guess I'm just a tad upset and wondering to myself am I not fun when I'm sober? Just kinda bugs me,,besides its too hot for a hangover! I was reading the blog "off dry" and they mentioned loving and taking care of the "tomorrow you" it resonates cuz we all know when you're wrapped up in drinks the night before it gets easy to forget how you'll feel the next day,bleh,will update how it went B)

Sounds like the family would be drinking and under the influence, so how would they know if you are not fun while being sober? ;)
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    @JulieAL1969 stay strong
    You can do this.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    andysport1 wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969 stay strong
    You can do this.

I feel quite determined. I woke up early and will go on a morning jog in our beautiful park system. How are you? Hope you are enjoying the weekend. Xo
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Mornin' y'all. Im doing the 16/8 intermittent fasting thing and I am hangry. I'm only eating between 11-7 and its 10:40 am now so the time is fast approaching to be able to eat. Yay! I've been doing this 3 days and have lost 1.2 lbs. Does anyone else do this and has it been successful for you? I hear it's good for all kinds of health reasons, not just weight control.
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Mornin' y'all. Im doing the 16/8 intermittent fasting thing and I am hangry. I'm only eating between 11-7 and its 10:40 am now so the time is fast approaching to be able to eat. Yay! I've been doing this 3 days and have lost 1.2 lbs. Does anyone else do this and has it been successful for you? I hear it's good for all kinds of health reasons, not just weight control.

Good for you! I think IF builds discipline and is good for the mind/body connection. You’re so motivating! Xo
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,482 Member
    @jjohnstonkay Welcome! You will find lots of support here, whatever your goals may be.
  • RubyRed427
    So, I was going to watch a short video update on Demi Lovato who overdosed , but first watched a commercial. You know the commercials you sit through on a news show before the video plays. It was a Seagram’s cooler commercial with girls in bikinis at a pool having fun. This was on the entertainment tonight website. Poor taste.

Since going AF I've started to notice more and more how engrained alcohol is in our current culture. The whole "mommy juice" "rosé all day" "wine o clock" gimmick is spiralling out of control. I was at the dog park Thursday and saw a woman wearing a shirt that said in huge letters, "vodka is always a good idea." I was floored, disgusted, and discouraged because these are the messages we have to fight through and against on a daily basis. These are the messages that provoke family and friends to judge US for abstaining. It's pretty sad, but I'm extra proud of myself and my husband because last night was the first Friday we've had without vodka in over a year!!!

Congrats ! You and your husband woke up so happy I bet! One of the things that always troubled me was all the neighborhood parties I've been part of that were mostly drink fests. And the kids would see all that drinkng and toasting. I just never felt good about the example I was setting.

You're right about alcohol being accepted and almost encouraged in our society. And yes, there is a stigma to quitting alcohol as opposed to quitting smoking. Good observations you have !
  • RubyRed427
    What a great site. I too am struggling with my drinking and know that it is hurting my efforts to lose weight. Thanks for all the great resources!

Happy to hear from you! Xo