Bulk or cut

I recently dropped to 160 pounds at around 16% bodyfat, should I continue my cut or add some muscle to my frame? 9k8z8kkfpr0h.jpg

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,127 Member
    Stay exactly the same, in maintenance, for one year, then decide. Your body will be demanding change, figure out how to maintain.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited July 2018
    You could do a recomp, lift heavy while maintaining weight, and see where you are in 6 month.
    Or, small, 250 deficit, while lifting.
    Depends on your goal.

Cheers, h.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Nice job! General rule of thumb (for men), cut until you get to 10% - 12% and then bulk.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Well what are your goals? Do you want to lean up more or do you want to gain some muscle? Or both?
  • RichardG156
    RichardG156 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm doing similar, 183 to 154lb, currently 170. I'm repeating what I did a couple of years ago but trying a different approach this time to make it more sustainable. Looking at your comparison I think you have around another 5lb to lose if you wanted to. You are in good shape, but every lb lost has a big visual impact when at this level. Good luck moving forward.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Nice job! General rule of thumb (for men), cut until you get to 10% - 12% and then bulk.

I would bulk. Recomp is also a good option if you're new to lifting. I am not a fan of recomp though just because I want to see results faster which is why I always choose to bulk and cut.
  • jimmyb2043
    jimmyb2043 Posts: 7 Member
    I think I'm going to continue to cut to 10-11% and then I will bulk from there
  • jimmyb2043
    My main goal is general health and to gain a good physique
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You look fairly lean and could bulk if you wanted.
    Or cut down a touch more (depending on your stats). How tall are you?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    How many inches is your waist?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Keep cutting!
  • jimmyb2043
    I'm 5'8" 32 inch waist
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    jimmyb2043 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to continue to cut to 10-11% and then I will bulk from there

It's up to you, there is actually no right or wrong answer in your case, it's about how you feel. I know when I am lean at 10-12%, I feel too small with a shirt on, I now know that my preference is to be somewhere around 12-13% body fat before bulking again. Just don't go too lean, like 6-7%, it's unecessary. I would say the minimum you should stop is at 8% if you really want to be extremely lean, but 10% is the rule of thumb in general. I notice my strength drops big time by 10%, so 8% would just be RIP for my strength at the gym, but that's just me.