New products that caught your eyes recently?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't really add ketchup to many things, but this was delicious on top of steamed broccoli and sandwiches. I loved the subtle sweetness and honey flavor. I am not a huge ketchup fan to begin with, but really liked this kind better. I could taste the difference from regular ketchup. It was much sweeter.8gixnnn6rhnu.png

I wouldn't buy it for the "reduced sugar" claim though, lol.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited July 2018
    These are the best low calorie wraps ever! They are HUGE! They are the biggest I've found for the calorie amount of 80. 10inch wrap only 80 calories with 7-8g protein. My favorites are the rye, pumpernickel, sourdough and everything bagel in that order.
    omrt4b9p2snm.png
    o44cn1l39qc1.png04ybz077am6q.png

These are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE WRAPS!!! I eat 1-2 a day. I wish my stores carried the rye, but they only carry sourdough, everything and pumpernickel. My favorite is pumpernickel for savory things and sourdough for making sweet wraps, tacos, etc. Ah, who am I kidding they are all good with everything.

They used to break easily when you tried to wrap things but I have noticed in the past 8 months or so, the formula a bit and the packaging steps (allowing them to cool fully before packaging so they don't stick together).

They used to stick together in the packs and it would annoy me I would only get 1 usable one when they aren't cheap! They are now way more pliable and I NEVER have the sticking together issue. Have you noticed this change too? I was really happy about it. The sourdough is so pliable now and stretchy I noticed.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited July 2018
    hgycta wrote: »
    Sp1tfire wrote: »
    Frankly, I'm terrified of the amount of fiber in a whole Quest pizza. And i KNOW i'd want to eat the whole thing.

I was terrified to learn the amount of fiber in two servings of the ThinSlimFoods Impastable Pasta was 72g, and that my total fiber consumption yesterday was 120g... but here I am... completely normal! I guess my body built up a HIGH tolerance for fiber! But Lord help me if I have as little as 10g of erythritol, I’ll be gassy all day! I really shouldn’t eat those low calorie ice cream pints, they make me smell awful, but I still do! I just make sure I only eat them at night after I’m done with all my important social interactions for the day ;p

Regarding food labeling standards and fiber: the FDA is currently reviewing all soluble fiber sources like those found in Quest products, diet ice creams (Halo Top, etc), Fiber One products, yogurts, etc. Basically any product with fiber added that wouldn't typically have fiber. They're analyzing how each source affects the body and whether or not these company's can claim it as an accurate source of fiber, which affects net carbs and the total calorie count, of course. So, for example, a Quest Pizza has approx 18g of fiber per serving and 6g net carbs as it stands. But depending on what the FDA mandates, they may not be able to count the fiber source as "true" which would really impact everything they advertise (net carbs) and would dramatically increase the advertised calorie count. Same goes for these other company's. They'd have to label the total calories based on the true carb count. There's still a lot up in the air, but this is why I track macros and don't track net carbs lol.

BUT simply put, even with the 18g of fiber, it probably won't affect you the same way 18g of fiber from, say, fruits and vegetables would.

I always thought they should do this. I find I always gain weight eating too many of the foods they count that way. I don’t know if I believe that having fiber impairs digestion of the carbs. If that were the case couldn’t I just add a bunch of added fiber to every meal and then not count the carbs ?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    These were delicious ! Nice and crispy. The chocolate ones were my favorite. Did anyone else get them from when I posted the samples ? jx4o9tbegk9q.jpeg
    upocus52s30j.jpeg
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Frankly, I'm terrified of the amount of fiber in a whole Quest pizza. And i KNOW i'd want to eat the whole thing.

I was terrified to learn the amount of fiber in two servings of the ThinSlimFoods Impastable Pasta was 72g, and that my total fiber consumption yesterday was 120g... but here I am... completely normal! I guess my body built up a HIGH tolerance for fiber! But Lord help me if I have as little as 10g of erythritol, I’ll be gassy all day! I really shouldn’t eat those low calorie ice cream pints, they make me smell awful, but I still do! I just make sure I only eat them at night after I’m done with all my important social interactions for the day ;p

Regarding food labeling standards and fiber: the FDA is currently reviewing all soluble fiber sources like those found in Quest products, diet ice creams (Halo Top, etc), Fiber One products, yogurts, etc. Basically any product with fiber added that wouldn't typically have fiber. They're analyzing how each source affects the body and whether or not these company's can claim it as an accurate source of fiber, which affects net carbs and the total calorie count, of course. So, for example, a Quest Pizza has approx 18g of fiber per serving and 6g net carbs as it stands. But depending on what the FDA mandates, they may not be able to count the fiber source as "true" which would really impact everything they advertise (net carbs) and would dramatically increase the advertised calorie count. Same goes for these other company's. They'd have to label the total calories based on the true carb count. There's still a lot up in the air, but this is why I track macros and don't track net carbs lol.

BUT simply put, even with the 18g of fiber, it probably won't affect you the same way 18g of fiber from, say, fruits and vegetables would.

I always thought they should do this. I find I always gain weight eating too many of the foods they count that way.

That’s a little confusing to me, I thought they used like a bomb calorimeter or something to heat up the food and determine the calories. So really they just manually calculate it based off fat, carbs-fiber, and protein? I know there’s a difference between soluble and insoluble fiber (not too sure of it though). Are you saying some of these diet products might be more calories than their labels suggest, or are they really low calorie but the fda will make them market them as being higher calories?

Personally I have never noticed any weight gain from ThinSlim Foods. Unfortunately, some of my other favorite low calorie products like Simply Scrumptous and The Dough Bar doughnuts do make me put on weight if I continue eating them long enough.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Finally got to try the sweet earth pizza. @hgycta mentioned the protein lovers was vegan but it has cheese so I think you meant vegetarian right ? I got the veggie one.

Pretty good. It was crisp and I loved all the veggies. I thought was weird to have corn but It added a nice sweetness. I did think it was a bit boring though. I ended up adding hot sauce and onion powder.it could have used more cheese. I wouldn’t consider it like a pizza, but more of a veggie flatbread.okm51b8yhfjd.jpeg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited July 2018
    The problem really is that you'd have to eat a lot of those things, record every gram, have the same activity level every day, and weigh yourself every day, to be able to tell if you're gaining weight from those or not.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited July 2018
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The problem really is that you'd have to eat a lot of those things, record every gram, have the same activity level every day, and weigh yourself every day, to be able to tell if you're gaining weight from those or not.

Yeah, I wasn’t saying for sure just saying I’ve noticed. Since I stopped eating so many (4-5) quest bars a day I’ve had to increase my calories to maintain. But again could be something else at play. But if the fiber really doesn't exactly "negate" the carb calories as they advertise, that would be a few hundred calories less a day and make sense. Although I know this is not evidence at all, lol just my own personal observation.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

I always thought they should do this. I find I always gain weight eating too many of the foods they count that way.

That’s a little confusing to me, I thought they used like a bomb calorimeter or something to heat up the food and determine the calories. So really they just manually calculate it based off fat, carbs-fiber, and protein? I know there’s a difference between soluble and insoluble fiber (not too sure of it though). Are you saying some of these diet products might be more calories than their labels suggest, or are they really low calorie but the fda will make them market them as being higher calories?

Personally I have never noticed any weight gain from ThinSlim Foods. Unfortunately, some of my other favorite low calorie products like Simply Scrumptous and The Dough Bar doughnuts do make me put on weight if I continue eating them long enough.

Correct — many of the products that contain these fibers contain more calories than advertised. Now, the macros are correct or else it would be illegal.

But take a Quest Bar for example:

180 calories:

-8 fat
    -20 protein
    -23 carbs (4 net carbs due to soluble fiber)

So really there are approx. 240-250 calories in a bar [(8*9)+(43*4)] = 244. But because of the 4g net carbs they can say 180. [(8*9)+(24*4)]=168.

Same goes for Halo Top. They advertise 320-360 per pint based off the net carbs, but really there are upwards of 500 in a pint. Based on the macros :smile:

The FDA is examining whether they can continue advertising these as low calorie based on net carbs due to these fibers.

But, it’s like people say. You would need to eat a lot of these products for it to make the difference count.
  • pancakerunner
    These were delicious ! Nice and crispy. The chocolate ones were my favorite. Did anyone else get them from when I posted the samples ? jx4o9tbegk9q.jpeg
    upocus52s30j.jpeg

These were crispy? They look so much like Emmy's macaroons in the pictures!
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    jkojjt9gt1mp.png

I NEED THIS! Their partly cloudy pint is one of my FAVORITES but I can’t get it because I wind up eating the entire thing and blowing all my calories on it!!!! Normally I don’t like ice cream novelties as much but this looks like the best ice cream bar I have ever seen.... and hopefully I’ll be able to portion control with it much better!

That looks so pretty! So, I tried two new things: Quest Bar in S'mores and Breyer's Low Cal Ice Cream in Vanilla Cupcake. I was actually disappointed in the Quest bar as it just tasted like regular old chocolate chip to me, and none of the marshmallow and graham goodness I expected. Next time I'll try Birthday Cake. I tried a little taste of my Breyer's Vanilla Cupcake and I really liked it! Nice buttercream frosting flavor and crunchy rainbow sprinkles.

Melissa: I can't find the S'mores Enlightened anywhere! And none of my local stores can order it for me :( So you weren't a fan?
  • hgycta
    Finally got to try the sweet earth pizza. @hgycta mentioned the protein lovers was vegan but it has cheese so I think you meant vegetarian right ? I got the veggie one.

Pretty good. It was crisp and I loved all the veggies. I thought was weird to have corn but It added a nice sweetness. I did think it was a bit boring though. I ended up adding hot sauce and onion powder.it could have used more cheese. I wouldn’t consider it like a pizza, but more of a veggie flatbread.okm51b8yhfjd.jpeg

It's actually vegan cheese -- although you'd never be able to tell! I haven't had vegan cheese before the pizza, so I was actually really impressed with it!

Correct — many of the products that contain these fibers contain more calories than advertised. Now, the macros are correct or else it would be illegal.

180 calories:

-8 fat
    -20 protein

So really there are approx. 240-250 calories in a bar [(8*9)+(43*4)] = 244. But because of the 4g net carbs they can say 180. [(8*9)+(24*4)]=168.

Same goes for Halo Top. They advertise 320-360 per pint based off the net carbs, but really there are upwards of 500 in a pint. Based on the macros :smile:

The FDA is examining whether they can continue advertising these as low calorie based on net carbs due to these fibers.

But, it’s like people say. You would need to eat a lot of these products for it to make the difference count.

I'm sorry, but I'm awful with math and still not 100% getting this. I thought it could have around 500 in a pint, but with net carbs your body only absorbs the 320-360? Is this wrong, does your body actually absorb that 500? I'm worried because I do eat A LOT of diet products! But for the most part I've been able to maintain within a general range, so maybe I'm moving more than I'm logging. I track for a sedentary lifestyle, but I'm always on my feet at work and never get a chance to sit.
    jkojjt9gt1mp.png

I NEED THIS! Their partly cloudy pint is one of my FAVORITES but I can’t get it because I wind up eating the entire thing and blowing all my calories on it!!!! Normally I don’t like ice cream novelties as much but this looks like the best ice cream bar I have ever seen.... and hopefully I’ll be able to portion control with it much better!

That looks so pretty! So, I tried two new things: Quest Bar in S'mores and Breyer's Low Cal Ice Cream in Vanilla Cupcake. I was actually disappointed in the Quest bar as it just tasted like regular old chocolate chip to me, and none of the marshmallow and graham goodness I expected. Next time I'll try Birthday Cake. I tried a little taste of my Breyer's Vanilla Cupcake and I really liked it! Nice buttercream frosting flavor and crunchy rainbow sprinkles.

Melissa: I can't find the S'mores Enlightened anywhere! And none of my local stores can order it for me :( So you weren't a fan?

I'm not Melissa, but I know the S'mores (like the Glazed Donut) has a very limited availability to certain stores only. Around me, the only store that should sell the Glazed Donut is Safeway (which my Safeway store never got it) and for the S'mores the only store that should sell it is Wegmans, which only recently begun selling it. Personally, I LOVED the S'mores Enlightened! It tasted like graham ice cream with TONS of Hershey's chocolate syrup swirled in!
  • hgycta
    Saw these cookies in Target today, has anyone here tried them?
    dxv69nxvcxp7.jpeg
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    jkojjt9gt1mp.png

@skelterhelter Not saying I wasn't a fan! I love mix ins but the toasted marshmallow flavor of the ice cream was good, I would've like a little less mix ins to taste that more. Can't believe I'm even saying that! The peanut butter ones I want more peanut butter swirl as it's my favorite part. I'm buying another s'mores tomorrow. Along with tons of chocolate peanut butter and a marhsmallow peanut butter. I have that vanilla cupcake one in my freezer. I will try it soon. Thanks for the review. Stocking up before my surgery Tuesday morning.

@hgycta I made some awesome low cal high protein brownies you'd probably love! Also, molten lava cakes are super easy and fast to make. Only 3-4 ingredients and 12 min in the oven! You could totally make those yourself. Eating well had a good recipe for them.
  • hgycta
    jkojjt9gt1mp.png

@skelterhelter Not saying I wasn't a fan! I love mix ins but the toasted marshmallow flavor of the ice cream was good, I would've like a little less mix ins to taste that more. Can't believe I'm even saying that! The peanut butter ones I want more peanut butter swirl as it's my favorite part. I'm buying another s'mores tomorrow. Along with tons of chocolate peanut butter and a marhsmallow peanut butter. I have that vanilla cupcake one in my freezer. I will try it soon. Thanks for the review. Stocking up before my surgery Tuesday morning.

@hgycta I made some awesome low cal high protein brownies you'd probably love! Also, molten lava cakes are super easy and fast to make. Only 3-4 ingredients and 12 min in the oven! You could totally make those yourself. Eating well had a good recipe for them.

I was looking up recipes online and this one looked like something I might try, have you attempted it: https://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/low-carb-keto/keto-lava-cake/ ?

I love lava cakes, but I LOVE when they have that layer of chocolate ganache on top... I'm trying to find something with that velvety ganache! I don't mind if it has more ingredients, but I've noticed I'm not too big on stevia. I love erythritol, but Chatila's Bakery's chocolate e'toiles use maltitol, which I've never tried cooking with before. I want to order more but they're sold out on Linda's Diet Delites website, ugh!!!
  • pancakerunner

It's actually vegan cheese -- although you'd never be able to tell! I haven't had vegan cheese before the pizza, so I was actually really impressed with it!

180 calories:

-8 fat
    -20 protein

I'm sorry, but I'm awful with math and still not 100% getting this. I thought it could have around 500 in a pint, but with net carbs your body only absorbs the 320-360? Is this wrong, does your body actually absorb that 500? I'm worried because I do eat A LOT of diet products! But for the most part I've been able to maintain within a general range, so maybe I'm moving more than I'm logging. I track for a sedentary lifestyle, but I'm always on my feet at work and never get a chance to sit.
    jkojjt9gt1mp.png

I'm not Melissa, but I know the S'mores (like the Glazed Donut) has a very limited availability to certain stores only. Around me, the only store that should sell the Glazed Donut is Safeway (which my Safeway store never got it) and for the S'mores the only store that should sell it is Wegmans, which only recently begun selling it. Personally, I LOVED the S'mores Enlightened! It tasted like graham ice cream with TONS of Hershey's chocolate syrup swirled in!

@hgycta that's what's being studied: whether or not the sources claimed to not be absorbed by the body, hence subtracting from total carbs/calorie count, are credible or not. And if they aren't, the FDA will be enforcing labeling changes by 2020. :)
  • pancakerunner
    dxv69nxvcxp7.jpeg

I haven't, but if they taste anything like the picture looks, I'm in trouble :p
  • pancakerunner
    dxv69nxvcxp7.jpeg

I haven't, but if they taste anything like the picture looks, I'm in trouble :p

Oh... just kidding. The reviews on Target's site are awful.

"I thought these were cookies, like the picture on the front of the package. However they are tiny protein bars. Disappointing as the packaging drew me in for cookies and I feel that it is false advertising."

"I've tried all of Tone it ups products. This was highly disappointing. Pros: doesn't taste horrible Cons: overpriced, deceiving packaging, definitely doesn't taste like a cookie, extremely small (think the size of a thumb) The things that bother me the most are honestly that the packaging is really deicing, the product looks NOTHING like what's on the package. The second thing is that it says 3 of these is 1 serving, these things are tiny mind you, why not just make them each 1 serving size?... oh 'cause then you'd be paying $7 for 3 "cookie bites".. yeah. I do not recommend."

Even worse for the other flavors.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    @hgycta: Unfortunately there are no Safeways or Wegmans on Long Island *weeps*

Melissa: Oh ok! I agree that sometimes mix-ins can overwhelm a base. The Marshmallow Peanut Butter is sooo good! I love those thick sheets of peanut butter, and they don't distract from the marshmallow base at all :) I can't find it after the one time it was introduced during a big sale at Shop Rite. I wish I knew when the next $2.88 Enlightened pint sale was :(