PCOS and weight loss

Guys I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS although I'm suffering from it for past 8 years. Unexplained continuous weight gain and no way I can lose it. I've been put on inositol and multivitamins and it's been 2 months but no weight loss. Can you tell me what worked for you?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Calorie deficit is key to any weight loss. How have you been tracking your diet? Some with PCOS also do better on low carb (<150g/day).
    Are you doing any activity?
    I do advocate inositol and DCI, but this is mostly for PCOS symptoms and not so much for weight loss.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Hey @night_watcher - I was also diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago.

Here is my story. I was at my heaviest weight, 195, when I was diagnosed. I was put on metformin (insulin resistant). I crash keto'd and lost 30 lbs in 3 months. Kept that weight off for another 2-3 months. Got comfortable, stopped taking metformin, diet went back to non-keto (read ALL THE CARBS), and I put on FIFTY POUNDS in about 6 months. Ouch. Now I was back to a new record high at 215ish. Had a follow up with my endocrinologist - went back on my meds. I knew I was still eating like crap, but had little motivation to change that. Until one day, I decided I was ready to change. I was just uncomfortable in my own skin. So I planned to change just my breakfast to start. I was a drive thru junkie - so I decided to make my own coffee too avoid all temptation and started eating a protein shake for breakfast. I stuck to that for a week then changed my lunches. I set small attainable goals alongside the calorie deficit that I tracked on MFP. I'm doing moderate carbs, I try to keep it under 150g. I have not given up anything entirely except conventional dairy and that is more for acne than weight loss. I've been losing consistently at a rate of 1 lb/week for about 3-4 months now. I have to remind myself that how I eat now to lose the weight is the same way I will have to eat when I'm done losing weight. I don't do anything now that I dont want to do for the rest of my life. I eat food for fuel 80% of the time and I eat food to enjoy 20% of the time. My PCOS symptoms are improving - my cycle regulated from an average of 50 days, down to 28-34. My acne is improved. My mood swings are better. My fun chin hair growth has slowed down. I try to eat local and organic as much as I can. Grass fed/pasture raised meats/eggs, jersey cow dairy. And I cook a lot more of my meals at home. It's been work, but rewarding work.

I've never taken inositol - but I know it can be more effective when given with D-chiro AND Myo in the correct ratio dosage. Check out Ovasitol, which is both forms in the "correct" ratio. Also check out berberine another OTC supplement t. I'm not a doctor so definitely consult with your physician first on these. Have you talked with your doctor about other possible treatment plans? Do you know if you're insulin resistant, or if your testosterone is elevated? Really consider what symptoms you want to improve and then make a treatment plan with the help of your doctor if possible.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Why would anyone woo the OP's post??

I have PCOS too and it's a pain. I also eat lower carb (100g-ish a day) and count calories. I lost 45 pounds and have been maintaining it. My weight loss was slower than expected but the weight came off with enough patience and consistency.

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Hashimoto is somewhat common with PCOS and might explain the weight gain. I'd follow up with that, make sure your labs are in order outside of the PCOS stuff and if so, then just weigh and count your calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    me0231 wrote: »
    Why would anyone woo the OP's post??

Woo is misused for lots of reasons. In this case I imagine they may have been aiming for Hug and missed.

Often woo is misused because people think it is short for "Woo hoo!", a positive.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    Guys I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS although I'm suffering from it for past 8 years. Unexplained continuous weight gain and no way I can lose it. I've been put on inositol and multivitamins and it's been 2 months but no weight loss. Can you tell me what worked for you?

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member

Good afternoon! I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. But...at least you understand what is going on....and that you are not crazy! I can only imagine the conversations in your head.

I do KETO. It is a possibility that a low carb way of eating might help you. With emphasis on might. Have you considered trying that?

And, I am not carb bashing...I love carbs. They just dont love me. Keto is not THE answer to losing weight...eating in a caloric deficit is. Keto might help you and it might help with PCOS. Again, might! Keto is simply a tool here.