Is mfp the best to use to keep track of keto?

Hello I'm new to the keto diet. I know it's a lot of counting macros and eating low carbs.

Do any of you just use mfp for it? How do you figure out your netcarbs and are you using just the basic mfp or do you pay for it to get a different set up for keto?

Replies

• FoxAndOpal
    FoxAndOpal Posts: 14 Member
    There is no specific setup for keto even on premium. To calculate your net carbs you subtract your fiber from your total carbs. Your fiber is right below carbs on the nutrition tab.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Most keto users rearrange their diary view so that carbs is the first item and fiber is second (mine’s like that). It’s not as good as just having a net carbs section, but it makes the subtraction relatively quick and easy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    There's plenty of net carb entries in the database - if you can't find one for the food you want, make one of your own
  • Jeckia
    Jeckia Posts: 77 Member
    Thank you everyone
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Jeckia wrote: »
    Hello I'm new to the keto diet. I know it's a lot of counting macros and eating low carbs.

Do any of you just use mfp for it? How do you figure out your netcarbs and are you using just the basic mfp or do you pay for it to get a different set up for keto?

Hey hey....I follow Keto, too. But dont use MFP for any tracking or logging.

Side question: you aware of the so-called Keto Flu and how to mitigate if not avoid it?
  • Jeckia
    Jeckia Posts: 77 Member

Side question: you aware of the so-called Keto Flu and how to mitigate if not avoid it?

Yes I am aware of the keto flu. :) I've been on keto for almost a month and have had no symptoms of the keto flu thankfully. :)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    MFP is great for keto, and agree with @nvmomketo on changing the settings in your diary and also about the groups to join. Good luck. I know some people do keto without tracking calories, but it definitely wouldn't work for me.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I don't do keto but a lot of my friends that do use Cronometer as it tracks net carbs. I use it simply because the database is cleaner but I can't give up my MFP fam lol
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member

Yes I am aware of the keto flu. :) I've been on keto for almost a month and have had no symptoms of the keto flu thankfully. :)

Awesome. That is a huge issue for a lot of people. It seems like a fair number of folks dont know much about Keto and start it and find out about it the hard way and end up moving to something else. Glad that you have mitigated that fun!

I do track macros....I just dont use MFP for that. But that is just me. Lots of people use MFP for logging | tracking with great success. It is too frustrating for me so I use another way that works better for me. No matter the method used, I would strongly suggest logging | tracking. Keto is essentially a way of eating, a life style for me. I have high A1C and am insulin resistent so it works well. You still gotta stay within a caloric deficit to lose weight, though. I hear a lot of crazy things about Keto. All good. To each their own. CICO still rules.

How are things going for you? Are you fat-adapted yet? You might be doing this long enough...maybe!