Success doing 2 a day workouts?

mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
Has anyone had success doing 2 a day workouts? My goal is to try it for one week to see if it gives me a nice boost. My goal is weight loss.

My plan has been to do about 30 minutes cardio in the morning (end with sauna). Then I attend the gym in the later afternoon to do another round of cardio, lifting and end with sauna.

I did it today and feel very energized and like I got a good workout. Has anyone had success doing 2 a days for a week? I’m hoping to see a nice dip on the scAle towards end of week.

Replies

• DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Same as someone working out about an hour and 45 min daily. You’ll def burn some calories and lose water weight. If it’s the mental edge you’re looking for, enjoy. Sustainability though, as you know, not likely. Some people love the hard core push at the beginning. Others love doing something they know they can maintain for the duration. Depends what category you fall into. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Can it work, absolutely, but what are your goals? 2 days might be enough but also might be less optimal than another configuration.

My general concern would potentially be the ability to recovery.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Exactly......recovery may be an issue. All depends on you. Recovery is a huge thing. Ask me all about balls to the wall training that I used to do. But, we are all different.
  • mhlew
    I don’t think recovery is an issue here. As mentioned it’s just cardio in the mornings. Mainly to wake up, get a good sweat in before I start my work day (work an active sales job) then afternoon I do same amount of cardio with some weights (not power lifting or anything). Mind you this is only for a week I plan to do this.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Give it a go. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out for you and you stop.

Just keep in mind since you said your goal is weight loss, that weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. As the saying goes you can outrun your fork.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Rest days are recommended between strength training days. My concern would be the risk of injury.
  • mhlew
    I got the diet part down pretty good. I’ve been doing really good with my eating. In fact I’d say success lies in a good diet. Exercise helps minimally for weight loss, it’s all diet.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Nothing wrong whatsoever if you're doing only cardio in the morning. 30 minutes brisk walk for example would be encouraged. The onlybtjing is say is possibly do that early then alternate days with afternoon cardio and weights and then just weights the following day with no afternoon cardio. Obviously leave 4 days or so between training the same body parts and is recommend a rest day too.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Try it out. If it works for you - great! I'd be thinking about daily lifting and the recovery needed to be successful, so keep that in mind.

Personally, it would lead me to burn out.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    2 days will give you very slow results, but it's still better than nothing.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    mhlew wrote: »
    Has anyone had success doing 2 a day workouts? My goal is to try it for one week to see if it gives me a nice boost. My goal is weight loss.

My plan has been to do about 30 minutes cardio in the morning (end with sauna). Then I attend the gym in the later afternoon to do another round of cardio, lifting and end with sauna.

I did it today and feel very energized and like I got a good workout. Has anyone had success doing 2 a days for a week? I’m hoping to see a nice dip on the scAle towards end of week.

It really kind of depends how intense it is. As other posters have said, you cannot out-run a bad diet. In my experience (and many others), when it comes to weight loss it's probably 80-85% done in the kitchen. Two-a-days seems like a good recipe for burn-out.

There are really 3 ways I look at this (YMMV):

1. To lose weight, eat less than you burn. The easiest to control, and the part that has the most impact is your intake.
    2. Do Cardio if you want to become more fit aerobically. It should not be your prime mover for weight loss.
    3. Lift weights to maintain muscle or to build shape.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    mhlew wrote: »

I don't think you'll have any problems with doing this for a week. Heck, you can do anything for a week. And if you are just starting out and have been relatively sedentary, you'd probably see the "dip" after a few days. With that said, if (as you say) your goal is weight loss, this strategy alone won't drive long term results.

As you've noted, focusing on your diet is the answer for weight loss over the long term. As a high volume cardio guy (12-14 hours/week), that has been my experience.