Low Carb for Weight Loss

Options
Hi everyone, I’m 19 and training to be a musical theatre performer. It is currently the holidays and so I have reduced hours of classes etc so do not need the energy as much as I do in term time. A lot of people would assume that because I’m a dancer I’m very slim but even though I feel I eat healthily I’m always bigger than my fellow dancers. I know this partly genetic but while I don’t need the energy I’m trying to purge carbs to lose my excess weight. Can anyone tell me if this will work? Or if they’ve tried it before? What kind of meals do you recommend? Thanks! X

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why not just eat in a calorie deficit?
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You lose weight by being in a caloric deficit, not low carbs. On my last cut, my fats were at 15% and my carbs were around 50%, still lost weight simply because I made sure I ate less calories than I burned. In the end, you pick a diet that you prefer, individual macros have nothing to do with weight loss, calories do. With that said, if you feel fuller with higher fats, then you should do low carb, in my case, I need volume, therefore I thrive more on a high carb diet. But having low carbs doesn't guarantee weight loss.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not normally recommended for teens either.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't necessarily mean you'll be in a calorie deficit. Calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Aside from a quick drop in water weight in the initial stages (which has nothing to do with fat loss), low carb is not any faster or more efficient for weight loss than any other diet of equivalent calories. You lose weight by consuming less calories than you expend.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs in order to creat a calorie deficit is one way to go. As mentioned already, a calorie deficit is the key. I like very low carb for weight loss because it really reduces my appetite so I naturally eat less. Others prefer to restrict a little bit of everything instead. Continue to eat healthy, then decide what you want to restrict.

Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Low carb is not normally recommended for teens either.

I think this is wrong. Why would low carb not be recommended for teens? Do you have any information on that which I could read?