August 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 Sorry for your loss too. I love the idea of a run in honor of your MIL.

Maybe catch a local race director for direction. Be nice if you can turn the 77 miles into a relay for those that might want to participate but lack the endurance.

Best of luck.

@7lenny7 I am sorry for your loss too :disappointed:

I think the relay is an awesome idea. What if you could get 77 people each also raising money?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Sorry for your loss @7lenny7 I too think the charity run is awesome! Let us know how we can help.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @girlinahat - Awesome pictures! Looks like it was a great holiday!
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    @7lenny7 So sorry for your loss. I am a rehab nurse and have seen many times the ravages of this disease. A cure could not come soon enough. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @7lenny7 - I'm sorry for your loss. My ex-wife had MS. It does awful things to a person, though it had nothing to do with what sank our marriage. She ended up passing at the young age of 63.

On a charity race, I kind of like the way the Medved 5K to Cure ALS is organized. They try to get runners to raise funds, and anyone who raises $250 or more can have a message printed on the back of the race shirt. (Obviously, there is a deadline well in advance of race day.) I got a memorial to two friends who died of ALS put on the shirt this year, and all the shirt messages were read aloud at the start line. That was kind of nice. You might want to consider a similar model for a race to support MS research.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    @7lenny7 sorry about your loss. Sounds like a great idea to honor your mother-in-law and raise funds for a good cause.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Good news: Completed my last "long run" for my 10k training and registered for the race. Was supposed to run 5.5 miles but was closer to 5.15 miles because of...

Bad news: My Samsung Gear Fit 2 *kitten* the bed somewhere between 2.7 miles and 4 miles, so I had to improvise the last mile amd a hakf and guess in the distance. I feel confident with the mental part, so I will do my two shorter runs this week and definitely can run the full race mext Saturday.

Annoying news: Samsung customer service is a real *kitten* show, but thankfully will be visiting my daughter in NYC where there is actually a Samsung store. The device is still under warranty, but the company is notoriously bad about honoring it.

I feel a little lost without my watch. It has been a constant companion since I got it in October and it has been there through thick and thin (literally).

Any good app suggestions with audio prompts at certain mileage intervals? Is Map My Run good for that? I will miss looking down to check my progress...feeling a little panicked to have a change so close to race day.
  • PastorVincent
    Any good app suggestions with audio prompts at certain mileage intervals? Is Map My Run good for that? I will miss looking down to check my progress...feeling a little panicked to have a change so close to race day.

RunKeeper is what I use. I have it prompt me every minute, my wife has it prompt her every 1/4 mile. It is by far the most flexible in that respect of any app I have tested.

Also come join us on the September thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10593418/september-2017-running-challenge
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member
    @7lenny7 My condolences for your loss. Your charity run sounds like a wonderful idea to honor her memory and help others!

@girlinahat Great vacation photos! Sounds like you had some lovely adventures.

--
    I finished the month with 144.3 km. It should have been more, had I followed my training plan. But I missed a long run due to being ill with a stupid cold (at least I'm mostly over it now...).
    So it's a good thing I let the Fibonacci discussion at the beginning of the month tempt me to make my goal 144km instead of the 150km I had originally planned :wink:

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    @7lenny7 I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your plan to run for charity in her memory is a wonderful tribute.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    Thanks all for your kinds words and encouragement! You sure know how motivate a guy!

There are already a couple of MS events in the area (an MS walk and an MS Mud Run) so if I do this, I'd keep it a solo venture but would invite folks to run part or all of it with me.

I'm eager to drive the route I've found to see if it is indeed a runnable route. I hope to get chance to do that this fall yet.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @7lenny7 I don't know how receptive the group would be, but if you just wanna do a solo run like you said and present your FIL with a check, maybe consider letting us make donations to you? Pay pay maybe? Or I don't know how feasible a Go fund me kinda thing is.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I don't know how receptive the group would be, but if you just wanna do a solo run like you said and present your FIL with a check, maybe consider letting us make donations to you? Pay pay maybe? Or I don't know how feasible a Go fund me kinda thing is.

@Elise4270 The MS society site has webtools much like the AIM for the Cure for Melanoma site has where folks could contribute online with a credit card, get a receipt, etc. It's all very slick and is pretty much the same system used for events to benefit many charities.

I wouldn't present an actual check, but a fake one to represent the total of the donations. I'd have to have my wife transport it in the support vehicle so it doesn't get all sweaty.

I'm getting excited to do it. I was thinking about August of next year because it would be 1 year anniversary of her death, but from a practical standpoint, April or May would work out much better for me. I don't run enough in the summer to support a 77 mile road run and the heat could be tough. I'll have to see how this meshes with my other plans.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    AHA!!!!! So why is the September not linked in the main thread??? I've been looking and looking. Being a newb, I had no clue the monthly discussions stayed open after we transition to a new month.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Awesome, I'll try and keep myself available...hopefully I'm not chosen to sit in on a four-week murder trial.

ETA: @7lenny7 Welcome back, great to see you again!

If it interferes with your already planned travel you most likely would be released.

The last time I was called the first people they dismissed were those with already paid for travel plans during expected trial time.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Glad to see all the usual suspects in for August (welcome back @7lenny7 )! Throwing in for 420k/262mi since I have to cut some miles out of my training plan if I'm going to make a hard run at qualifying at Edmonton on the 20th.

How the hell is autumn running almost upon us btw? Slow down time!

Autumn? What is this autumn you speak of? :D
  • PastorVincent
    Nice thread necro! This is 2017's thread :smiley:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Nice thread necro! This is 2017's thread :smiley:

I realized that much too late. :s
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    I need to make a 2018 thread if someone didn't do so already....