Name something that was easy for you to give up

Options
Is there anything you guys struggled with but was able to give it up easily?

For me, it was alcohol. I was a heavy drinker but refused to be called an alcoholic because I could go days, weeks and months without a drink but my real problem was I didn't know how to stop once I started drinking. I would have to drink the whole damn bottle before I felt enough was enough. On July 7, I quit drinking cold turkey and changed my diet completely. I have since lost a total of 22 lbs and got my A1C back below 6.50.

If you are a drinking alcohol and you're struggling losing weight, I can almost guarantee that if you quit drinking, you'll see a huge difference immediately.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being sober!

I didn't give up any foods that I didn't want to give up. I did cut back on plenty of portion sizes once I learned just how many calories I was taking in. However, for me we're talking about sweets and starchy foods rather than alcohol.
  • cjrmack2014
    cjrmack2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me like others it was sodas. Now I drink water or tea.
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    Anything related to sugar
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly fast food was easy to give up. Almost all my food used to come from a drive thru (Taco Bell and Jack in the Box being my go to places) but I haven't been to a fast food restaurant since 1/1/17 and I dont miss it. I honestly though it would be more difficult to break that one.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ginger ale, by accident.
    I drank a couple of cans a day.

In 2009 I was close to my weight loss goal and we went on a trip to Italy and a med cruise.
    It was hot, it was hard carrying a can of warm fizzy pop around, so my SO and sister taught me how to say 'agua minirali con gas'.
    I was thrilled as I don't pick up languages, even phrases, well and just kept ordering 'agua minirali con gas'.

By the time we got home I didn't like the taste of ginger ale, or other pops anymore they were too sweet.

I finally dropped those last few lbs, and, 9years later, still don't drink pop, unless mixed with alcohol B)

Cheers, h.
  • Elucy321
    Elucy321 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing I gave up was pasta and bread. I decided to go low (almost NO) carb, and within a matter of just a few days, it had no appeal to me whatsoever. I was so surprised at how easy it was to go without it, and still feel like I was making meals that my son and I could really enjoy!
  • mholl15
    mholl15 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    same here, before i quit I told myself there was no way I could quit cold turkey, surprisingly it wasn't hard at all
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bread and noodles. The toppings are the best part, IMO.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'm not a "never, ever, can I have it again" person, so there's nothing I've completely given up.

I have, however, nearly eliminated soda, which used to be a pretty much daily thing for me, or at least a few times a week. Now it's a couple times a month (if that) when I'm on the road for a race weekend, occasionally with a dinner out with friends (which is pretty rare).

Sparkling water was the cure for my soda addiction. Bubbles were the key to giving that up!