Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Thanks for sharing Dasmyth! It is enlightening to see all the different paths you can take!
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    edited August 2018
    Still cutting here, that’s 12 weeks now and also today marks my 365th day of using mfp. Weight is down to 169.6lbs. I hope that 165 will have me at 10%

My first cut was Oct to Jan from about 200lbs to 170. I had a water weight fluctuation in January and I let it play with my brain so much that I ended up going straight to a bulk. By May I had put 17lbs back on. Not great.

Now I know better I use a weight trending app so this time water fluctuations don’t phase me as much. Feeling lean but must admit I feel better around 180lbs. I am 5’10.

Need to try and work back to maintenance this time, new to cutting so not sure of best course of action. Lose the last few lbs and then increase 100-200 calories per day?? So increase total calories by 1400 per week till I get back to maintenance?

I also want to start taking creatine again, I’m too scared to do it till I’m 10% as that initial water gain will annoy me.

Been cutting on 2200 calories, taking in 180g per day protein 60g fats rest from carbs. My Fitbit places my average burn at 3200-3500.

I haven’t dealt with refeeds properly, in 12 weeks I haven’t once ate at maintenance. At the weekend I maybe have 2500 calories and I know this is a mistake, I feel tired now. My lifts have generally held up with only minimal losses on my bench, so I hope this means I haven’t shredded muscle. I do feel I have lost some arm size but my abs are looking much better. I have never had a 6 pack before and this was my aim. Being a hairy chested Scotsman doesn’t show them the best but at least they’re now here 😂

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    My wife is in a wedding this weekend, so dieting is not gonna happen lol. Especially, since we are going to some amazing places in Philly. But i will be hardcore starting Monday... Travel is finally done for work for a few months and no more big parties coming up. My goal is to be 170 by November for Disney world. Right now i am about 178-183 depending on glycogen levels.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How is everyone doing? I started Lyle's stubborn fat protocol right now I only do it once a week, once I get more comfortable I might add in another day but it is pretty tough.

Weight is slowly moving down again... hopefully the physique changes will follow! I am not in a rush at this point, as I am really close to goal and just want to fine tune everything :)
  • psuLemon
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? I started Lyle's stubborn fat protocol right now I only do it once a week, once I get more comfortable I might add in another day but it is pretty tough.

Weight is slowly moving down again... hopefully the physique changes will follow! I am not in a rush at this point, as I am really close to goal and just want to fine tune everything :)

Workouts are tough, but doing pretty well in terms of compliance. Even sadly turned away some ice cream cake (I almost cried) since it was a keto day. Starting weight was 182.5. I can't wait until post refeed to see what my total loss was.
  • sardelsa
    psuLemon wrote: »

Workouts are tough, but doing pretty well in terms of compliance. Even sadly turned away some ice cream cake (I almost cried) since it was a keto day. Starting weight was 182.5. I can't wait until post refeed to see what my total loss was.

I'm sure you will do great! And don't worry the ice cream cake will always be there. ;)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2018

Workouts are tough, but doing pretty well in terms of compliance. Even sadly turned away some ice cream cake (I almost cried) since it was a keto day.Starting weight was 182.5. I can't wait until post refeed to see what my total loss was.

One of the reasons why I would never do keto or any diet that bans certain foods. It would feel like being arrested for a crime I didn't commit.
  • psuLemon
    fb47 wrote: »

Workouts are tough, but doing pretty well in terms of compliance. Even sadly turned away some ice cream cake (I almost cried) since it was a keto day.Starting weight was 182.5. I can't wait until post refeed to see what my total loss was.

One of the reasons why I would never do keto or any diet that bans certain foods. It would feel like being arrested for a crime I didn't commit.

Normally, i would agree. But at this point in my life, a structured program is what was needed to help me restrict. Its why I chose UD2.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member

Normally, i would agree. But at this point in my life, a structured program is what was needed to help me restrict. Its why I chose UD2.

I wasn't hating you for it,lol. I know it's all about personal preference or using whatever means necessary to stick with one's goal.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2018

I wasn't hating you for it,lol. I know it's all about personal preference or using whatever means necessary to stick with one's goal.

Oh i realize. It was merely explaining

Tonight begins refeeding.. should be fun.
  • sardelsa
    I have a question about refeeds.. I don't remember the exact research but let's say you have two refeeds days, should they be done back to back or is a day in between ok? Does it affect the benefit of it?
  • psuLemon
    I have a question about refeeds.. I don't remember the exact research but let's say you have two refeeds days, should they be done back to back or is a day in between ok? Does it affect the benefit of it?

Consecutive day is where you get the benefits of refeeds. For me, it's about glycogen supercompensation, plus mitigating reductions in Leptin (suppresses fat burner) and increases in Ghrelin (stimulates hunger)
  • sardelsa
    edited August 2018

Consecutive day is where you get the benefits of refeeds. For me, it's about glycogen supercompensation, plus mitigating reductions in Leptin (suppresses fat burner) and increases in Ghrelin (stimulates hunger)

Thanks! Yea that's what I figured. I had a high carb day yesterday and was wasn't planning on another today.

I do refeeds wrong anyhow (high everything) so not like it really matters in my case
  • psuLemon

Thanks! Yea that's what I figured. I had a high carb day yesterday and was wasn't planning on another today.

I do refeeds wrong anyhow (high everything) so not like it really matters in my case

Ideally, you would keep fat low on those days.

Did i read right that you are reading Lyles new book? If not, have you considered UD2? You practically cycle as it is. And the diet is designed to help address hard areas by incresing blood flow and suppression of alpha receptors.
  • sardelsa

Did i read right that you are reading Lyles new book? If not, have you considered UD2? You practically cycle as it is. And the diet is designed to help address hard areas by incresing blood flow and suppression of alpha receptors.

Yea .. I know. But carbs alone give me the sads.

I thought about it but honestly.. I am so bad with tracking and doing a strict meal plan. I just wing it most of the time and I have to be able to eat at family's house without too much restriction. I am doing the stubborn fat protocol right now and trying some hokey pokey targeted work. I love having some stubborn fat in some areas (Yay chest, hips, glutes and upper body) and not others (boo quads and hamstrings), so I am always fighting with this issue! Argg
  • psuLemon

Yea .. I know. But carbs alone give me the sads.

I thought about it but honestly.. I am so bad with tracking and doing a strict meal plan. I just wing it most of the time and I have to be able to eat at family's house without too much restriction. I am doing the stubborn fat protocol right now and trying some hokey pokey targeted work. I love having some stubborn fat in some areas (Yay chest, hips, glutes and upper body) and not others (boo quads and hamstrings), so I am always fighting with this issue! Argg

I do carbs plus protein. Right now its yakisoba noodles with shrimp. Followed by grapes, kiwi and some cool whip. Its like 154g carbs,14g fat and 48g protein.

It helps i am a really good cook. So much so i have all my wife's friends asking me to cook meals for everyone.
  • sardelsa
    Yea I was reading up about UD2, sounds really interesting but since I don't track, and um, maybe I read it wrong but no caffeine on the high days, whaaaaaattt? :s I would die! And probably no alcohol I'd imagine. Honestly... I can't do it. I am like 3-4lbs away from my goal is it really going to make that much difference? Sigh. :/ I am kind of starting to get a bit discouraged because I am getting so close to goal and my bod is not there yet... let's hope those last few lbs help.
  • psuLemon
    Yea I was reading up about UD2, sounds really interesting but since I don't track, and um, maybe I read it wrong but no caffeine on the high days, whaaaaaattt? :s I would die! And probably no alcohol I'd imagine. Honestly... I can't do it. I am like 3-4lbs away from my goal is it really going to make that much difference? Sigh. :/ I am kind of starting to get a bit discouraged because I am getting so close to goal and my bod is not there yet... let's hope those last few lbs help.

I went to a radical program like this because i got discouraged and struggled to get leaner. You only diet for 6-8 weeks at a time and then have a week or two of diet breaks.

So if you haven't been able to lose the trouble spots, maybe your strategy needs to change. Just something to think about.
  • sardelsa

I went to a radical program like this because i got discouraged and struggled to get leaner. You only diet for 6-8 weeks at a time and then have a week or two of diet breaks.

So if you haven't been able to lose the trouble spots, maybe your strategy needs to change. Just something to think about.

Yea I hear ya. I am already incorporating the stubborn fat protocol (which I can handle), I don't want to add too much to the mix and kill myself. For what. So I can look like a bomb fitness model for 5 min then when I go back to eating normally the fat comes back to where it used to be ..urg. I don't compete so really it's kind of pointless. Can you tell I'm frustrated, haha.

Thanks though, I do appreciate your advice and help :)

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

Ugh...all summer I have been 2-3 lbs from goal. I am 5'0" so the last few pounds really do make a difference. I am struggling - I had a job change where I am not on my feet as much so my activity level has dropped a little. Transitioning to needing fewer calories has been difficult. I am having hard time figuring out how many calories to eat. I keep adjusting calories/macros to try to find what will keep me satisfied. I am fine for a week to a week and a half and then lose control for a few days.

Looking back I felt most satisfied when protein was over 160 and fiber was over 50. The problem is that doesn't leave much room for fun! I do have several weeks coming up without parties/events to attend so I think I am going to try upping fiber and protein again to see if I can drop the last few pounds.