For the Lactose Intolerant, what protein powder do you suggest?

iowalinda
iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
edited July 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I assume that whey & casein are out?
Also hoping for something that doesn't taste too bad :)

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Casein is the milk protein, lactose the sugar, one does not have to be intolerant of both, it can be either. It will probably come down to reading the small print or even contacting the company, I've done that before. There are other protein powder options out there, rice, hemp some may come flavoured. I would not suggest soy, its something many can be intolerant of, not to mention it is often recommended to take soy in a fermented form, I don't know the veracity of those recommendations.

I've not seen Goat milk protein powders though this could be an answer for many with casein intolerance because bovine/cow is type 1 dominant, goat/sheep is type 2 all have types 3 and 4 but these do not tend to bring on issues. Goat/sheep with t2 casein can make lactose easier to digest comes down to digestive enzymes, generally. There is also A2 milk which is tested for t2 casein which would also make lactose more easily digested. So much to think about when one embarks on intolerance avoidance.

I'm sorry I can't suggest a particular product as I'm not in the US. Beg pardon, I may have made one big assumption, sorry if I'm incorrect.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I like S.A.N. brand, the chocolate strawberry flavor tastes pretty good with just water.
  • iowalinda
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Casein is the milk protein, lactose the sugar, one does not have to be intolerant of both, it can be either. It will probably come down to reading the small print or even contacting the company, I've done that before. There are other protein powder options out there, rice, hemp some may come flavoured. I would not suggest soy, its something many can be intolerant of, not to mention it is often recommended to take soy in a fermented form, I don't know the veracity of those recommendations.

I've not seen Goat milk protein powders though this could be an answer for many with casein intolerance because bovine/cow is type 1 dominant, goat/sheep is type 2 all have types 3 and 4 but these do not tend to bring on issues. Goat/sheep with t2 casein can make lactose easier to digest comes down to digestive enzymes, generally. There is also A2 milk which is tested for t2 casein which would also make lactose more easily digested. So much to think about when one embarks on intolerance avoidance.

I'm sorry I can't suggest a particular product as I'm not in the US. Beg pardon, I may have made one big assumption, sorry if I'm incorrect.

Thanks for sharing your insights :) And, you are correct that I am located in the U.S.
  • iowalinda
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I like S.A.N. brand, the chocolate strawberry flavor tastes pretty good with just water.

Thank you. I will check it out :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Many whey protein isolate powders are lactose-free. But double check the label or manufacturer's website to make sure.
  • 4nts
    4nts Posts: 14 Member
    Whey protein is not supposed to have lactose in it. I'm lactose intolerant and use it with no problems :)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'm lactose intolerant and I have no problems with whey (I'm using isolate right now). I don't believe it has any or very little lactose in it. However, my lactose intolerance is mild, I still consume small amounts of dairy with little incident.

I take lactose enzyme pills before I drink a protein shake made with straight milk or eat ice cream, otherwise I eat cheese and yogurt with no issues. The pills are cheap and allow me to eat without issue. If I forget, gas-x helps.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    I use the protein works vegan protein extreme & sometimes vegan meal replacement depending on my carb needs (the meal replacement is higher in carbs)
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I use Garden of Life - Raw Meal Vanilla. It's vegan, not very sweet, and uses a mix of pea, brown rice, hemp, quinoa and other protein sources. I can't do the whey or casein mostly due to my hormonal imbalances not specifically lactose intolerance.
  • yasiral
    yasiral Posts: 133 Member
    i am lactose intolerant i and I am using Dymatize ISO 100 whey isolate without any issue. Plus their flavors are awesome.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    I also issues with regular whey protein, but the ON hydro whey which is whey isolate I have no issues with.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    ON gold whey has never caused me a problem.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    I've tried many protien powders and ashamed at how much money I've wasted trying to find one I liked. The best plant based protien I've had to date is a pea protien called Orgain. I've tried chocolate and vanilla and both are great. Good price point as well.
  • Debgreasby2018
    Debgreasby2018 Posts: 30 Member
    I bought Cute vegan chocolate flavour from amazon. Really nice taste and not powdery.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Hemp seeds in the nutribullet, Nutribiotic Organic Rice Protein.