Body fat % estimated visually

Hi all,
I’m an olympic weightlifter in the UK trying to get as much as possible out of my bodyweight category of 71kg. Today I weigh 70.6kg (“dry” weight, first thing).
I have been told there are experienced people here that can give pretty good body fat % estimates via their objective view of a photo.
I appreciate that it’s just a guide, and I also did a four-site calliper test with a PT yesterday, but I’d value further opinion, if possible.0z2mofkhj2oz.jpeg
Very grateful for any advice, too.
The bruises are from missing my crease when receiving the bar back down after reps from the hang!

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I would guess around 24% - it is hard to tell with just one pic. What was the result of the caliper test?
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    no idea? 30 percent? You appear awesomely strong and powerful :)
  • Alendralouise
    Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I would guess around 24% - it is hard to tell with just one pic. What was the result of the caliper test?
    Yeah I agree- I thought one pic of me out in the open was more than enough!
    Callipers said 31.65%
  • Alendralouise
    elfin168 wrote: »
    no idea? 30 percent? You appear awesomely strong and powerful :)
    Thank you- trying to get stronger and more powerful all the time!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2018
    generally front, side and back flexed and relaxed is useful.

@heybales you do pretty good estimates for peeps, don't you?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Much respect, lady! I used to do powerlifting but kept hurting myself (poor programming....my fault...working at 85+% of 1RM three and four times a week in Squats and Deadlifts is not a bad idea, right? HA! Let me tell you how bad of an idea it is). I recently posted some pics (I am doing Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss diet) and was hesitant to do that but just did it. So, my point....those three pics (front, side, back) might further help....but, only if you are comfortable doing that.
  • Alendralouise
    Much respect, lady! I used to do powerlifting but kept hurting myself (poor programming....my fault...working at 85+% of 1RM three and four times a week in Squats and Deadlifts is not a bad idea, right? HA! Let me tell you how bad of an idea it is). I recently posted some pics (I am doing Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss diet) and was hesitant to do that but just did it. So, my point....those three pics (front, side, back) might further help....but, only if you are comfortable doing that.
    Ahhhhhh I understand all that! I see lots of people finding it hard to accept reload and volume phases as necessary / essential. Sounds like you learnt the hard way :( Can you go back to it? With olympic Weightlifting its slightly different as you know- more focus on technique and less about constantly hitting big weights. Yeah I might consider the other angles! Need to find a way of creating a collage... Thanks for the input!
  • Alendralouise
    Abs are almost visible! Quads are poppin'! I can't imagine 31% is accurate. I'd say around 20%, personally. Assuming that the little blip on your belly is loose skin?
    Thanks for the feedback! I think it’s because I have fat distributed on backs of arms, back of thigh, lower tummy etc...The calliper sites were places where I have more fat, apart from the bicep. I guess pics are hard to use for estimates too- I should probably post a relaxed pic too for a better idea.
    Ha yes that wibbly bit is skin- a warrior mark from the days when I used to battle with my weight 🌈🙏🏽👍🏽
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Abs are almost visible! Quads are poppin'! I can't imagine 31% is accurate. I'd say around 20%, personally. Assuming that the little blip on your belly is loose skin?
    Thanks for the feedback! I think it’s because I have fat distributed on backs of arms, back of thigh, lower tummy etc...The calliper sites were places where I have more fat, apart from the bicep. I guess pics are hard to use for estimates too- I should probably post a relaxed pic too for a better idea.
    Ha yes that wibbly bit is skin- a warrior mark from the days when I used to battle with my weight 🌈🙏🏽👍🏽

Whatever the % is, you look terrific! Keep up the good work.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Biceps 💪 look good, agree with quikslyver you rock
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Post flexed/unflexed from front & side.

Also what is your waist measurement?
  • Alendralouise
    yas4xgd9kqox.jpeg
    Unflexed front! Waist is 778mm / 30”2/8
  • Laces918
    Laces918 Posts: 36 Member
    My opinion 25-30 range. Do you have a goal you are trying to accomplish?
  • Alendralouise
    Laces918 wrote: »
    My opinion 25-30 range. Do you have a goal you are trying to accomplish?

I compete, and my bodyweight category is 71%. I fluctuate around 70kg but as you can see, I need to recomp some fat for strength, while maintaining at just under 71kg. I don’t really know how to do it! Thanks for your feedback!
  • lesockie
    lesockie Posts: 80 Member
    Wow! Not sure on the percentage, but you look great!
  • lesockie
    lesockie Posts: 80 Member
    I'd be curious to know what mine is too! I know it's not great, but I'll post some pics on my profile page if anybody wants to friend me and give me an estimate.
  • AnneMariSchmidt
    AnneMariSchmidt Posts: 4 Member
    I would guess about 25% Try some more measurements with the calliper to get the mean value - unless you were measured by a professional. DEXA scan is the most accurate but I am not sure it is worth doing