Deduct exercise?

Options
I have my settings at three 30 minute workouts a week. Should I ever deduct exercise or just go with default ?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are using the free version it doesn't matter - that setting doesn't affect your calorie goal.
  • skyllark
    skyllark Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    They way I've done it is if I'm on a large calorie deficit I will deduct so that I can eat a lil more. If I am on maintenance cals with little or no deficit I do not deduct.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    skyllark wrote: »
    They way I've done it is if I'm on a large calorie deficit I will deduct so that I can eat a lil more. If I am on maintenance cals with little or no deficit I do not deduct.

if you were at maintenance and you didn't eat back exercise cals you would be losing still... that's not what maintenance is?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I definitely deduct exercise calories. That allows me to eat a lot more than I would if I stuck to the 1600 calories I need for maintenance. I walk every day and run 5 days a week - that adds up.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Perhaps OP should explain what she means by "deduct exercise" - we all seem to have a different interpretation.

Normally exercise calories are added not deducted, I added my 881 cals from today's exercise, I certainly wouldn't deduct it!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is referring to the "goals" you set when you create your profile. She needs to clarify.

The "goals" are just that and not factored into your calorie deficit. So, you should be adding exercise calories in and eating those.
  • tinakaram2013
    tinakaram2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I put in my food and then when I work out i put what i did so if my calorie burn is 300 that would raise my amount of food I can take in. so I go from a 1200 cal I can eat to 1500 cals I can take in. Also monitor your cal, sugar, carb, soduium, etc. at the bottom as well.
  • lenguyenrealtor7098
    Options
    I have question: This Monday will be three weeks I have been on the low carbohydrate diet. Basically I only cheat two meals per week with carbohydrate and the rest are just salads with chicken and fish. I can’t eat sugar of any form! No fruits either. I tried to consume 970-1100 calories per day. I have been exercise 6 days a week. Monday-Friday at work: 15 min abs, 15 min walk, 30 min Mon and Fri Cardio kickboxing, Tue and Thurs Weight workout and Wed is Zumba. After work is gym Mon, Wed and Sat is 45-60min heavy spin class. Tuesday and Thursday is circut training and Friday is 60 min for power pump class. The last two days I feel very week and I can’t think straight and don’t want to talk even at night. I had to take a day off work and exercise today. So far I only lost two lbs but tone overall pretty good. Did I do too much exercise or because of my diets making me feel so weak? Please advise if you know
  • traleen
    traleen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry not had any free time lately to check for answers. My calorie setting is like 1790. I have myself down for 3. Thirty minutes work outs a week. If I walk two hours I should add that exercise in for more calories since it is over the 90 min I specified ? Thanks
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    traleen wrote: »
    Oh sorry not had any free time lately to check for answers. My calorie setting is like 1790. I have myself down for 3. Thirty minutes work outs a week. If I walk two hours I should add that exercise in for more calories since it is over the 90 min I specified ? Thanks

Whatever you put in the exercise goals isn't included in your calories. Log it and eat back at least a portion of those calories.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

The number of workouts you say you'll do has no impact on your calorie goal
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I have question: This Monday will be three weeks I have been on the low carbohydrate diet. Basically I only cheat two meals per week with carbohydrate and the rest are just salads with chicken and fish. I can’t eat sugar of any form! No fruits either. I tried to consume 970-1100 calories per day. I have been exercise 6 days a week. Monday-Friday at work: 15 min abs, 15 min walk, 30 min Mon and Fri Cardio kickboxing, Tue and Thurs Weight workout and Wed is Zumba. After work is gym Mon, Wed and Sat is 45-60min heavy spin class. Tuesday and Thursday is circut training and Friday is 60 min for power pump class. The last two days I feel very week and I can’t think straight and don’t want to talk even at night. I had to take a day off work and exercise today. So far I only lost two lbs but tone overall pretty good. Did I do too much exercise or because of my diets making me feel so weak? Please advise if you know

Yes, eat more.
  • sijomial
    Options

All your exercise is in addition to your calorie daily goal - that number is for a non-exercise day only.
    It always has been whether losing or maintaining.