Cheat Day, yay or nay?

I've been sticking to having a cheat day to A) keep me motivated and B) treat myself sometimes. (っ˘ω˘ς )
Now I try to keep it small still, sticking to either one dessert I've been craving throughout the week or some cookies for tea time.
Now I am really curious on your thoughts about Cheat Days! What do they look like? What's your cheat meal? When is your cheat day?∠( ᐛ 」∠)_

Replies

• dani_lopera
    dani_lopera Posts: 27 Member
    I don't like to consider them as cheat meals or cheat days but every once in a while i'll have a few milano cookies that I love so much!! P.S. you shouldn't restrict yourself from eating your fav foods because trust me... your cravings will get stronger and stronger and you'll end up eating 3x of what you would've normally eaten.
  • LadyLeonis
    LadyLeonis Posts: 6 Member
    I don't like to consider them as cheat meals or cheat days but every once in a while i'll have a few milano cookies that I love so much!! P.S. you shouldn't restrict yourself from eating your fav foods because trust me... your cravings will get stronger and stronger and you'll end up eating 3x of what you would've normally eaten.

I am not really restricting my favorite foods, I am eating as usual, just cutting out unnecessary calories from sweets. I've been doing this for about a year and luckily never really encountered a high-class craving moment!
  • LadyLeonis
    LadyLeonis Posts: 6 Member
    I don't believe in cheating and I don't believe in extrinsic motivation. I eat food I like for every meal, and I eat anything I want as long as I make room for it. To make eating even more a normal part of life, I have (re)introduced a Saturday treat, just like kids had when I grew up.

Yeah, I wouldn't quite call it a cheat meal, Saturday treat sounds more like it for me too!
  • Burcar86
    Burcar86 Posts: 23 Member
    Honestly for me its not a good idea cause once I do a cheat day or cheat meal I wind up having them more often an just go back to bad habits. Yesterday we went hiking an when we were done my wife took us all to DQ. Everyone had banana splits but I had a super small sundae. When I got home I got on my exercise bike to get back some of the calories I lost. For me its a slippery slope but if you can handle it then I guess its okay as long as you don't have them often.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    I think we are all different. What works for one person may not work for another. Years ago(25yrs), I did the cheat day once a week and kept it off until I had my 1st son(8 yrs skinny). I tried doing it the way that people seem to like it on here and it did not work for me. In mid-January, I started doing my cheat meals again on Sundays and I am down 40 pounds with just 10 to go. We are all different. And my cheat day is full of junk. I bank through the week and have whatever/whenever all day on Sundays.
    We are all different. Try different ways. It is your body. You decide :)
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    I've done cheat days in the past. They worked in the short term, but I eventually fell off the wagon with mfp and gained the weight back. Another time, I tried having a 2,000 calorie day- still sort of a "cheat" but more counted and controlled. Even though it was counted, I purposely ate nothing but junk that day- i.e. maybe a burger and fries for lunch and an ice cream sundae for dinner. Same thing happened.

I have struggled with binge eating and looking back it, I think both of these practices allowed me to hold on to bad habits. This time around, I'm just trying to stick to my calorie goal every day, but I do eat back exercise calorie and use that to get more calories if I need them. In addition to short/easier workouts, I do a lot of walking, which doesn't feel difficult or strenuous, so feels like something I can stick to without burning myself out. This way I'm eating 1400-1500 calories every day rather than just the 1200, and I feel a lot more satisfied in the first place.

I'm also working on just working cravings and treats into my calorie day rather than going overboard with a "cheat." For example, maybe I eat a "junk" meal in normal portions, get some extra walking in, and eat lower calorie the rest of the day. Or maybe I have a dessert after having smaller meals the rest of the day, rather than having days where I have multiple junky meals followed by a dessert. I'm hoping this will lead to more long term success than I had in the past.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I don't plan cheat days, if I want something in particular I'll just try and work it into my calories/macro goals for the day.

Sometimes I go out to eat and don't log food. In that case I suppose it's a "cheat day" but just not a planned one. Life happens, and it all works out in the end as long as I'm consistent the rest of the time.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2018
    I only use the cheat days for social events (xmas, thanksgiving, weddings, family gatherings, etc...). I don't need a cheat day because I am not crazy about going to restaurants or just devouring junk food for one day. My body doesn't crave junk food for whatever reason, probably because I am used to have my meals planned in advance. I guess it's just a habit.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I don't believe in cheat days. Cheating has a negative connotation to it when you have done nothing wrong. This in turn can lead to guilt for some people. I do however, have treat meals once a week, normally a Saturday night. I just budget a few calories during the week to allow a higher calorie Saturday, or, because there is time, exercise a bit more. Some simply choose to eat at maintenance one day a week. It might take a little longer to reach their goal but in doing this they find their way of eating more sustainable. Still others realise that having these treats will likely lead to binging so avoid them altogether. The trick is to figure out which way is best for you as it is very individual.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    I will say what I have said every other time the 'cheat day' topic comes up. I work "cheats" into my daily calories. I have a mini chocolate bar on most days. (Krackle, Hershey's, Baby Ruth, York Peppermint patty) One mini bar is good enough for me, and it is about 50± calories. If I am going to have something major I plan the rest of the day around it. No cheats, just work it in as part of the plan.

.... I have no idea what this means: (っ˘ω˘ς ) or ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_[
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I wouldn't consider what I do a cheat, but I eat very light during the week and bank calories to indulge more on the weekends. Sometimes it is foods I don't have during the week, sometimes it's just larger portions. But it's still very controlled and in the end I remain in a deficit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I don’t cheat. I have dessert every night worked into my calories.
  • AndyWR72
    AndyWR72 Posts: 35 Member
    Feeling guilty today, it’s my daughters birthday so I’m full of sugar laden Birthday Cake. Today is definitely a cheat day.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Don't be too serious about it as long as you are into sport and healthy lifestyle for most of the time. Btw, I've just ordered 3 XXL pizzas :wink:
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider what I do a cheat, but I eat very light during the week and bank calories to indulge more on the weekends. Sometimes it is foods I don't have during the week, sometimes it's just larger portions. But it's still very controlled and in the end I remain in a deficit.

This. I also agree with another poster about the negative view of the word "cheat," like you've done something wrong. Eat what you want, but just make sure you remain in a deficit.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    AndyWR72 wrote: »
    Feeling guilty today, it’s my daughters birthday so I’m full of sugar laden Birthday Cake. Today is definitely a cheat day.

Don't feel guilty for enjoying cake on your daughter's birthday :(

If a diet made me feel guilty for enjoying the food and rituals of such a special day I would swear off all diets until I get that fixed.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    I don't have cheat days or meals but I allow myself to have treats. I just make sure I still hit my weekly calorie goal.