Running is boring and pointless

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    kcs76 wrote: »
    @Mattyay what prompted you to become an anti-running crusader?

running for an hour was too hard! :laugh:

Especially when he ate back those carbs in just 1 minute.

i can just imagine him rage eating gels to get all those carbs in one minute...

it wouldn't be rage eating, though... it would be out of addiction. Carbs, especially artificial carbs, are basically heroin.

TBH if its salted caramel GU, then i would have to agree :bigsmile:

That is my go-to as well!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Anti-carb people are boring. If we got it so wrong with demonizing fats in the 20th century, what makes you think we are so spot on demonizing carbs now? Both have been part of the human diet for thousands of years.

Didn't you hear, they're back to demonizing fats again. Apparently fats are the only reason people are obese. *insert massive eyeroll here*
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Mattyay wrote: »
    If your concern is losing weight just cut carbs, eat more good fats and do some strength training. Way easier than running for an hour. Unless you really really enjoy running I don't really see the point. If you're doing it for mental and cardiovascular endurance, then fine I guess. I doubt that's why I see so many people on treadmills at the gym though. I think they legitimately think they're going to lose weight which is a mistake.

Pointless it's not, but because I hate cardio, I just don't do them for selfish reasons. For health, it's a valuable too, but my metabolism is quite high and combined with my hatred for cardio, I just ditch it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    kcs76 wrote: »
    @Mattyay what prompted you to become an anti-running crusader?

running for an hour was too hard! :laugh:

Especially when he ate back those carbs in just 1 minute.

i can just imagine him rage eating gels to get all those carbs in one minute...

it wouldn't be rage eating, though... it would be out of addiction. Carbs, especially artificial carbs, are basically heroin.

TBH if its salted caramel GU, then i would have to agree :bigsmile:

That is my go-to as well!

I'm training for my next HM and have been trying to figure out my preferred method of fueling. Just ordered an 8-pack of salted caramel GUs to give them a shot based on this exchange.

Rejoice. The troll thread has provided benefit!

its just like eating caramel sauce. my only criticism is that they are a bit sticky so they need washing down with water when its warm. i tried the SIS gels, and the 'clean mouth technology' that they advertise really is a thing! but the GU is too yummy...
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Being nice is good, but being honest is better. There isn't an obesity epidemic because people don't run enough, it's almost exclusively a consequence of carbohydrate addiction and subsequent hormonal dysfunction that also leads to the epidemic of mental disorders like depression and anxiety. Running is a band-aid solution that doesn't even work.

So you're going for neither, I see?
  • collectingblues
    sardelsa wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It's really simple. People get fat because they eat too many carbs and then try to fix their weight problem by running for hours on treadmills. No one's angry, Capiche?

People get fat because they eat too many calories. Are carbs part of it? Sure. But they aren't the only/sole reason. If someone who is getting fat replaces 50g of carbs with 50g of fats, they will actually get fatter. Your cut carbs and eat more fat doesn't work.

I have experimented a lot with different diets and i can assure you that 50g of fat and 50g of carbs are not the same thing. 50g of carbs will have you craving more. 50g of fat will not.

For you maybe. Not for me, and many others. For some fibre is filling vs a drizzle of olive oil.

You don't have to take my word for it. I don't know anyone who is addicted to avocados or chicken breasts and yet I see people who eat bread and drink Coca cola like it's going out of fashion. Fibre is a natural carbohydrate unlike the abundance of extracted simple sugars and starches that people mistake for food.

What about butter, peanut butter, bacon and cheese? I see plenty of people have a hard time moderating those foods. Myself included.

And I eat plenty of carbs.. anywhere from 200-400g average. My hormones work perfectly thank you.

Truth. I ate my way up to maintenance yesterday by devouring half a container of fresh ground honey roasted peanut peanut butter. I mean, it was delicious, but it was definitely primarily fat and protein.
  • collectingblues
    It's really simple. People get fat because they eat too many carbs and then try to fix their weight problem by running for hours on treadmills. No one's angry, Capiche?

People get fat because they eat too many calories. Are carbs part of it? Sure. But they aren't the only/sole reason. If someone who is getting fat replaces 50g of carbs with 50g of fats, they will actually get fatter. Your cut carbs and eat more fat doesn't work.

I have experimented a lot with different diets and i can assure you that 50g of fat and 50g of carbs are not the same thing. 50g of carbs will have you craving more. 50g of fat will not.

Maybe if you ate more carbs, you’d like running more?

Truth. Running feels so much better when you're properly fueled for it.

Truth. My 3 miles *sucked* on Saturday. And then I realized that before the run, all I'd had all day was iced coffee, and a cut up cucumber with avocado and goat cheese.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i enjoy running inside and outside, treadmill, trail, road.
    i also enjoy carbs. and pixie sticks.
    my dogs enjoy running too. and i'm pretty sure they aren't doing it for weight loss

Are they doing it for the pixie sticks?