Starting Lyle McDonald's Ultimatte Diet 2.0 question

124»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    The RFL Category 3 start at 26% + and 35% + male & female respectively - so not meant for just lean at all.
    Cat 2 is still 16-25% and 25-35% respectively.
    Cat 1 is the lowest range below those.

And really, if the 5:2 diet plan works well in studies because of 5 days eating at maintenance letting body reset, then only doing 10-14 days of extreme RFL as suggested and perhaps 2-3 weeks maintenance might not be bad method either if you just don't want to eat so subnormal for so long.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RSie9shE4iuxWQHZbCWd3LulEbTJg4YHKyo6N_xyU0U/edit?usp=sharing

Thought I would share this, but this is the workout that I currently designed and follow while doing UD2. Glycogen depletion sucks! Especially leg days.
  • heybales
    I find it so weird and wild that while 4 days on the RFL since last refeed meal, the day of the next one, I can do an evening lower body lifting routine at working weight (not really making progress, no surprise there) and feel the difficulty barely, though only protein shake for breakfast, and then go do a 2 hr bike ride at good intensity and barely start having problems at the end.

I need to do one of the glycodep routines to see what that would cause different. I'd consider that long of a ride at good intensity to cause it - but that's what I find so strange I'm not totally dead in the legs.
    Then again RFL doesn't suggest such a routine.

How many days on the high protein are you then doing the lifting to feel those effects?
  • psuLemon
    heybales wrote: »
    I find it so weird and wild that while 4 days on the RFL since last refeed meal, the day of the next one, I can do an evening lower body lifting routine at working weight (not really making progress, no surprise there) and feel the difficulty barely, though only protein shake for breakfast, and then go do a 2 hr bike ride at good intensity and barely start having problems at the end.

I need to do one of the glycodep routines to see what that would cause different. I'd consider that long of a ride at good intensity to cause it - but that's what I find so strange I'm not totally dead in the legs.

How many days on the high protein are you then doing the lifting to feel those effects?

Is thia directed at me?
  • heybales
    psuLemon wrote: »

Is thia directed at me?

Sorry yes, after looking at that workout sheet and your comments about leg day.
  • psuLemon

Is thia directed at me?

So my refeeds start Thursday night into Friday (~400-500g of carbs). Saturday is a fairly normal day of eating (I eat high carb (~300g) with high protein (~175g)) and around maintenance or just below. Sunday, I start to transition to low carb. Monday is keto and my first glycogen depletion workout, tuesday is my second glycogen depletion workout + keto. Wednesday is rest with keto and thurdsday morning/afternoon is very low carb and then refeed at dinner. I often play tennis before my workout too. My keto days are 1500-1700 calories, maintenance days 2800-3000, and refeeds generally end up around 3500.

But by the time I hit leg day, it can get fairly brutal. Combine a few days on low carb + low calories + 60 second rest periods between sets, it makes for a lot of volume with little rest.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member

Is thia directed at me?

So my refeeds start Thursday night into Friday (~400-500g of carbs). Saturday is a fairly normal day of eating (I eat high carb (~300g) with high protein (~175g)) and around maintenance or just below. Sunday, I start to transition to low carb. Monday is keto and my first glycogen depletion workout, tuesday is my second glycogen depletion workout + keto. Wednesday is rest with keto and thurdsday morning/afternoon is very low carb and then refeed at dinner. I often play tennis before my workout too. My keto days are 1500-1700 calories, maintenance days 2800-3000, and refeeds generally end up around 3500.

But by the time I hit leg day, it can get fairly brutal. Combine a few days on low carb + low calories + 60 second rest periods between sets, it makes for a lot of volume with little rest.

Now, that sounds like my kinda party! Where do I sign up for that? Oh, crapolla! I can't! Seriously, though....that does sound like my kinda party. When (not "if") I beat this high A1C and insulin resistance, I am gonna do this. Was seriously looking forward to it....I am "off".....so, this is kinda my thing!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member

Is thia directed at me?

@psuLemon What results have you gotten so far? fat/weight loss? Can you give us a summary?
  • psuLemon
    annaskiski wrote: »

Is thia directed at me?

@psuLemon What results have you gotten so far? fat/weight loss? Can you give us a summary?

This is my first dedicated week. I had a few trial weeks, but traveling overseas, my birthday and parties fell in there.

Starting weight on Sunday was 182.5
  • annaskiski
    Any updates?
  • annaskiski
    @psuLemon @LiftHeavyThings27105

Are you guys still doing this?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member

@LiftHeavyThings27105 vanished without a trace mid August. I'm curious too - such a "prolific" poster and so enthusiastic to try RFL.... it's a pretty aggressive protocol and I was curious to see if he could handle it. I'm not sure what happened to him. Lemon's been posting periodic updates in the "Anybody cutting after a bulk?" thread.
  • annaskiski
    Thanks!! I'll check out Lemon's thread..
  • psuLemon

I ended up stopping. I had too much going on and it became a bit inconvenient. I may try to start again over the winter.
  • annaskiski

I ended up stopping. I had too much going on and it became a bit inconvenient. I may try to start again over the winter.

Thanks for the update!
    It does look like a tough plan....
  • psuLemon

Thanks for the update!
    It does look like a tough plan....

The pattern wasn't too bad. I did get w bit sick of the low carb days, but i had a bunch of events that interfered.