Keto vs Low Carb

Replies

• travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    Eating Keto is very low carb (20 Net grams per day or less) compared to Atkins low which is 50 or 60. Keto is also high fat with moderate protein. Low carb is the opposite, which is high protein with moderate fat. In Keto you will stop buring glucose as energy and will instead burn fat (which is why you eat more of it because you will need a lot.) The moderate protein is designed to also help fill you but to protect your muscles. Such low carb (20g or less) will keep you from eating processed foods with so much sugar and flour. You will lose the weight. With low carb you will also lose the weight since you will be eating less of the sugar and flour than you used to, but more than with keto. Both diets are excellent. I use keto because I am T2D and keeping away from eating and burning glucose is better for my glucose readings. When doing either diet, make sure you still watch your calories. You don't have to stick to a particular number if you don't want or need to, but use common sense and don't generally overeat. Otherwise it will slow your progress and you will not retrain your stomach making gaining it back a probability. I had a lot of weight to lose (90 lbs.) and as a T2D I chose keto with 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% fat on my macros. I also keep my calories at 1277 or lower as best I can. I do tend to cheat at least once per week which puts me into a 24 hour binge (ugh, working on that). That causes a temporary water weight which is shocking on the scale, but it is usually gone within 24 - 48 hours. I have lost 51 pounds since January 11, 2018, even with the cheats. Best of luck to you. I hope this helps.

I’m new to the site. Started to eat the 1200 cal and actually gained weight.

Friend said do Keto 5% carbs, 25protein 70 fats. Seem to work for me.
    Lost 2lbs in three days. I’m happy even if it’s just water. Because after comes the fat. But all I’ve gone is walk everyday for at least 1 hour.

Let’s see how it goes and how long I can do it for.

What you thought was eating 1200 calories wasn't trully eating 1200 calories. You were probably eating more without knowing it. At 1200 calories, you would definitely lose weight had you been really eating at that amount, unless you're a short sedentary dwarf that requires you to eat less than 1200 calories to lose weight..... You make it sound like keto directly cause you to lose weight which is a mistake many who find a succesful diet for them make on a regular basis. No diet directly causes you to lose weight, to lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you burn and to gain weight you need to eat more calories than you burn....To stick with the same weight, you need to eat the same amount of calories you burn....simple as that.

All-Diets-Work-In-The-Exact-Same-Way-They-Cut-Your-Calorie-Intake-1024x853.jpg

Thanks for the reply well, sedentary I was I hurt my back so no movement. Just started moving and in a job that is sedentary now, so I can’t lose the weight.

If I was in my previous job with moment then I would not have this problem at all. The more I move my weight melts away.
    So I’m trying to find away this time around to lose weight faster due to little movement. And Keto is what I was told. So trying it. Till I recover.

But like you I too think calories in should be less than cal out. For deficit to lose weight.

About not eating 1200 well they where exact. The problem was the movement part. Which Keto seems to solve for now till I get into full moment again.

About me:
    Never had to worry about counting calories, I've always been underweight. And ate everything I wanted mind you I ran 10-13km daily 6 days a week. So huge difference.

So, Keto does. Plus I’m very disciplined to not cheat at all.

But I can understand you arguing about Keto not working because it takes a lot of hard work and discipline which I do have and not everyone can accomplish it.
    I’m 30 lbs over weight. Trying to handle now since I’m moving. Not later say oh why didn’t address it sooner.

I only plan on going for two months by then I should be recovered and be able to move more and not worry about carb counting on the Keto diet or any diet for that matter. And just go back to my paleo eating style. I’ve always been on.

But good luck to you.

• travelling_lots
    Eating Keto is very low carb (20 Net grams per day or less) compared to Atkins low which is 50 or 60. Keto is also high fat with moderate protein. Low carb is the opposite, which is high protein with moderate fat. In Keto you will stop buring glucose as energy and will instead burn fat (which is why you eat more of it because you will need a lot.) The moderate protein is designed to also help fill you but to protect your muscles. Such low carb (20g or less) will keep you from eating processed foods with so much sugar and flour. You will lose the weight. With low carb you will also lose the weight since you will be eating less of the sugar and flour than you used to, but more than with keto. Both diets are excellent. I use keto because I am T2D and keeping away from eating and burning glucose is better for my glucose readings. When doing either diet, make sure you still watch your calories. You don't have to stick to a particular number if you don't want or need to, but use common sense and don't generally overeat. Otherwise it will slow your progress and you will not retrain your stomach making gaining it back a probability. I had a lot of weight to lose (90 lbs.) and as a T2D I chose keto with 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% fat on my macros. I also keep my calories at 1277 or lower as best I can. I do tend to cheat at least once per week which puts me into a 24 hour binge (ugh, working on that). That causes a temporary water weight which is shocking on the scale, but it is usually gone within 24 - 48 hours. I have lost 51 pounds since January 11, 2018, even with the cheats. Best of luck to you. I hope this helps.

I’m new to the site. Started to eat the 1200 cal and actually gained weight.

Friend said do Keto 5% carbs, 25protein 70 fats. Seem to work for me.
    Lost 2lbs in three days. I’m happy even if it’s just water. Because after comes the fat. But all I’ve gone is walk everyday for at least 1 hour.

Let’s see how it goes and how long I can do it for.

I follow Keto because of high A1C and my body just does not do well with Carbs (but, man I love them!!!). There is a lot of "interesting" information out there regarding Keto and IF (Intermittent Fasting). Lots of it complete hogwash, some of it close and a little bit dead on. Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks out there - and I am just going to call a spade a spade here - that profit off of the frustration and desperation of other folks (put those folks in a room with me....see who walks out and who is carried out).

Anyway, Keto is indeed a way of life, a lifestyle, if you will. I get about the same macro percentage as you do (75% Fats, 20% protein, 5% carbs) and really enjoy it. There is a lot to know, though. You are putting your body through a really big change (going from glucose to ketones...essentially).

It can be interesting....at the start. This is a never ending learning opportunity. I am currently doing something completely different (will leave it at that....today is Day #7...so, essentially one week down) and will very likely go back to Keto when this "experiment" is over (likely several more weeks).

A lot of people are pleasantly surprised when that first three - eight pounds goes off (glycogen depletion) but are then concerned when that rate of loss does not continue (generally speaking....it might in severely obese individuals). Ultimately, weight loss is all about calories in | calories out.

There are a lot of very interesting things that people can do to assist in their weight loss journey....and most of them do not make any sense (read: are counter intuitive) to most people. A re-feed for two consecutive days (or so) makes no sense to most people. A diet break (of at least one week, generally speaking) makes no sense to most people. For some, eating more for weight loss makes no sense (but it works....I have seen it in several ladies whom I have helped who fit that bill perfectly). Leptin, Ghrelin, and Insulin are important hormones to understand. So is cortisol. If you understand them (and I am working on a better understanding myself) then lots of those things make much more sense.

Anyway, education is super important. And, being a bit of a smarty pants here (just a little bit), listening to Aunt Sally talk about her Keto Journey likely is not going to help (with the nerd part to this....). Well, nothing against Aunt Sally, generally speaking, but she likely does not know exactly what is happening.

Thanks for your reply, I’m glad it’s working for you. It has so far for me too It’s not so much hard work but a lot of discipline to it. But it’s ok with me. Haven’t cheated yet. But only using it as a jump start.

I can’t see myself doing Keto longer than 2 months because my weight will be back to normal and so will my movement so I can easily live on my paleo lifestyle which I’ve enjoyed when I used to be healthy.

But your reply has been very informative and supportive at the same time.

Good luck with the method your trying. Doesn’t matter what you choose as a tool as long as it works for you.
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Oops
  • travelling_lots
    rsclause wrote: »
    To say the only way keto works is calorie deficit is missing some major points. I am not saying you need to like it or try it but you may understand it you you do some research on it. For most keto people weight loss is a benefit but not the goal.

Yes, and thanks.
    I know what you mean. I’m still researching it.
    But I’m only doing it for two months as a jump start. My back would have recovered by then and be fully mobile too.
    Not saying I’ll be back running 10-13 km daily 6 days a week either.
    But will be more mindful on my calories then.
    Since I’ll be at my correct weight. So I’ll be going back to my old paleo lifestyle.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I think a common theme with many of these diets is to avoid processed foods and that's a good thing for everybody. Right now I am living a keto lifestyle and really enjoying the research and hope it provides many health benefits along with getting rid of body fat/ weight. I am not obese but would like to maintain an optimum weight and fitness level. I don't want my health to be a burden for me or my family. The only down side I have found is I sure miss my craft beer.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    To say the only way keto works is calorie deficit is missing some major points. I am not saying you need to like it or try it but you may understand it you you do some research on it. For most keto people weight loss is a benefit but not the goal.

Yes, and thanks.
    I know what you mean. I’m still researching it.
    But I’m only doing it for two months as a jump start. My back would have recovered by then and be fully mobile too.
    Not saying I’ll be back running 10-13 km daily 6 days a week either.
    But will be more mindful on my calories then.
    Since I’ll be at my correct weight. So I’ll be going back to my old paleo lifestyle.

You think you're going to lose 30lbs in 2 months on keto?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2018
    I eat carb-heavy too, and maintain my weight at 105 after a 50 lb. loss. At my heaviest my blood pressure was scarily high, my HDL and LDL numbers were out of control, my resting heart rate was over 90 and I was edging toward pre-diabetic. When I had my last exam in April all my numbers were in normal range.

This is my n=1, of course. However, I would like to drop this here for consideration.

The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR), established in 1994 by
    Rena Wing, Ph.D. from Brown Medical School, and James O. Hill, Ph.D. from the University of Colorado, is the largest prospective investigation of long-term successful weight loss maintenance.

The NWCR is tracking over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time.

"There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity."

http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

eta: I'm not advocating for any particular diet for weight loss, maintenance or health, obviously any study of this nature will have self-selected participants, and will be biased in their population sample in one way or another. I'm just pointing out plenty of people lose weight and keep it off reducing calories and eating lower fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018

Let's reframe it just a bit and say "the only way weight loss on keto works is calorie deficit".

Just like any other macro combination.

You have to consume less calories than you expend to lose weight (talking fat loss, not water weight), no matter what you're eating or what time of the day you're eating it.

So in the context of a keto diet vs. a low carb non-keto diet, it would be irrelevant for weight loss (talking fat loss again, not water weight). Given equivalent calories in each diet, the weight loss result would be the same (and it would also be the same for a diet which was neither keto nor low carb).
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    The magic weight loss pill is absolutely CI<CO. I've been successful in losing weight in the past but haven't mastered the art of maintenance, at all.

For me, as a Type 2 diabetic, restriction of carbohydrates is definitely beneficial for me, but I'm not interested in full blown Keto, as personally, it's not a sustainable lifestyle for me.

That being said, based on a bit of carbohydrate restriction and what's worked for me in the past, I've set my macros to 40F/30C/30P and 2200 calories/day. (Sedentary, 5'10 male, CW 302#. Exercise is mostly walking with some strength training planned in the near future).

I log regularly and fairly accurately and would be happy to share any of what's worked for me. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • BlueSkiesM
    BlueSkiesM Posts: 6 Member
    I just started a keto plan and have also doing it for my husband and daughter. My question is MyFitnessPal does not seem to take the carbs and subtract the fibre to get net carbs. I use the foods already calculated on this app . Do you have any suggestions for me?

Hey...go to settings on myfitnesspal and you can track fiber on your daily food diary. That will help you keep track of carbs. Stay under 20 NET carbs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Let's reframe it just a bit and say "the only way weight loss on keto works is calorie deficit".

Just like any other macro combination.

You have to consume less calories than you expend to lose weight (talking fat loss, not water weight), no matter what you're eating or what time of the day you're eating it.

So in the context of a keto diet vs. a low carb non-keto diet, it would be irrelevant for weight loss (talking fat loss again, not water weight). Given equivalent calories in each diet, the weight loss result would be the same (and it would also be the same for a diet which was neither keto nor low carb).

I am just saying that CICO is not the only relevant point of keto or LCHF lifestyle. Why keto works, for some, is a much larger picture than just CICO but yes CICO is very much in there. It's like saying with CICO it doesn't matter if you eat sugary foods as long as you are in deficit. While mathematically that is true but in reality it just doesn't work that way. Why? Insulin response is not a function of calories but of food composition.

And me, a healthy young person with no insulin resistance or any other medical condition that would make me require to do so should be worried about insulin response... why exactly?

No reason whatsoever. The body (in a healthy state) controls insulin secretion via a negative feedback loop. Also, there's another not-as-often mentioned hormone (glucagon) which is also produced by the pancreas and is antagonistic to insulin.

Let's not forget that insulin is also an anabolic hormone. Bodybuilders certainly don't use it to intentionally get fat.