Losing 20 pounds by September 5th.

Is this possible? I am eating well and exercising just not sure how much exercise is needed to achieve this.

Replies

• dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Maybe if you lost a limb?
    Otherwise not likely.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Possible, maybe. Healthy, absolutely not. What is happening that you have to lose that fast?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    How much do you weigh? If you are extremely obese, you may be able lose up to 5 pounds a week for a few weeks, but if you are close to your goal weight (i.e. just 20 pounds over) then it will be much harder to lose any significant weight in less than a month. A pound is about 3500 calories. Unless you are currently eating 5000+ a day, you aren't going to lose a pound a day. In order to lose that much via exercise, you'd have to be running about 40 miles a day - which isn't likely either.

As stated above, losing 1% of your body weight a week is safe and sustainable. For most of us that translates to 1-2 pounds a week. If you try to lose weight too quickly, you can really harm your body because it won't be getting the nutrients it needs. Losing muscle mass, bone density, hair, etc. are all possibilities. Usually when you try to force quick weight loss, you end up over restricting for a short period of time and then binging afterward, gaining back all the weight you lost and then some.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Not likely
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2018
    Maybe if you go on the show Naked & Afraid, but I doubt it otherwise. You would literally have to go hungry each day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Possible without major health risk? No . . . unless you're a couple of hundred pounds or so overweight, and then only under close medical and nutritional supervision. Not a good plan at all.
  • mazurkiepolish
    mazurkiepolish Posts: 363 Member
    You would have to extremely limit yourself and really put in some work exercising. The goal just isn’t healthy and you should scratch it. You will be miserable and if you do succeed and go back to your regular way of eating, the weight will not stay off. Maybe aim to lose 1-1.5 pounds a week? Go slow!! It’s not a race! Be as healthy as you can for your body
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Revise that goal to 20lb by Christmas now you have yourself an achievable task.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    yeah, this is pushing it a bit. Ease up on yourself and just go with the pace. The weight will come off eventually.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2018
    Unless you're obese, it may be possible or if you're lean and go the annorexic route and even then I question if you still can. Just lose weight at a sustainable rate, it's a marathon, not a sprint...there is absolutely no reason why you should damage your health for 20 lbs.
This discussion has been closed.