Ladies, how heavy do you lift

For those of us that do strength training we are supposed to lift heavy, eat clean, work smarter not harder. I know how much each of us lift will be specific to each individual but I was just curious to compare myself to other people.

Also I workout at home (which is a lot more convenient for me) but I am deciding whether to join a gym. Iknow the gym has a lot more equipment than just my dumbells I use at home, but sometimes i wonder if Going to the gym would give me more results.

I started at 5lb last year and am now lifting 15lb (some workouts i need to drop my weights depending on the routine but I mostly use 15lb for everything else). I will be increasing my weights in a few weeks to 17.5.

How much do you lift & do u workout at home or at the gym?

Replies

• tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I've been off for a long time, but restarting today.
    My plan:
    Squat 60lb
    OHP 40lb
    DL 80lb
    Bench will be 45lb with the next session
    Of course, these will depend on if I'm feeling okay with them.
    I also work out at home.

You've made some nice progress going from 5lb to 15lb. Are you following a specific program?

I am using an online program from Fitness Blender.com. It tells me what videos & what routines I should do. I have switched up the way I workout a few different times trying to figure out what works best for me.

&& daymmmm u ladies lift heavy for real lol. Good job to all of you.
  • tequierosince06
    For those that lifting at home, do you have a gym like setup at home? Or just dumbells &/or a bar.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I certainly think that you'll get much better results with a structured lifting program (that you stick to) and more equipment. Not to say that there is anything wrong with videos and dumbbells but you're going to reach a point where progress is limited.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    For those that lifting at home, do you have a gym like setup at home? Or just dumbells &/or a bar.

I have a bench, squat rack, barbells, dumbbells, resistance bands, pull-up bar, total gym and a few other odds and ends.
  • plythacur
    plythacur Posts: 32 Member
    Bench 125
    Squat 160
    Deadlift 185
    Hip thrust 230

Definitely at the gym since I don’t have most of the equipment at home, but I also routinely mix in body weight and TRX based workouts at home as well. You might want to look into something like that as well if you want to keep working out at home but increase difficulty without too much more equipment.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Great job to push yourself on your lifting. My question is, What do you mean that you "lift 15 lbs"? Would that be OHP, DL, back squat, etc? No one lifts the same weight on every lift, or at least shouldn't be if they're trying to progress. Confused.
  • tequierosince06
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Great job to push yourself on your lifting. My question is, What do you mean that you "lift 15 lbs"? Would that be OHP, DL, back squat, etc? No one lifts the same weight on every lift, or at least shouldn't be if they're trying to progress. Confused.

I workout at home. My only equipment I have are dumbells so 15lb refers to 15lb dumbells that I use for all my exercises within the videos I do. After a month I increase the weight.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Both- i work 3 days a week and i have a gym at my work. so they are lunch time workouts.

I have a gym set up in my basement. Treadmill, weight bench, tons of videos, weights, bands

Mondays I lift in a gym. This is my arm day. Shoulders, biceps and triceps
    Certain exercises I lift different weights. Also different machines. Like shoulders i lift with 25-30 lb dumbells. Use cables too
    Bicep curls 25-35 lbs
    Triceps 25-40 lbs

Tuesdays I teach at the gym. I teach a muscle/tabata class. For this class its full body I have 15lbs and 20 lb dumbells.

Wednesday Im back at the gym. Its leg day. Squats 110
    Lunges- hold 45 lb plate
    But i do alot of floor work using body weight and using the ball. I then finish it off with the spin bike. Heavy resistance at times for about 20 min

Thursday- gym back and chest day.
    Chest press- about 110 lbs
    Push ups bodyweight
    Cables- 25 lbs
    Back- machine 80 lbs
    Seated rows-100 lb

Friday is my cardio day. Run/sprints/ walking for 4 miles on treadmill (home)

Saturday- muscle/tabata treadmill. (Home) full body muscle with tabata sprints on the treadmill.

Sunday: active rest day. Yoga. ( Home)

This is what works for me. I love lifting, the gym but I also love home workouts too. I have been working out at a gym since high school. (Im 43)
    Been a fitness instructor for 13 years.
    I like to see what my body can do and how much I can push it to lift heavier.

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Squat - 260 lbs
    Bench - 180 lbs
    Deadlift - 385 lbs

woah ..... big numbers ... how long have you been lifting to reach that weight ??
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Hey, so I train at a gym. I have some weeks where I will lift heavier and less reps, and other days where I want to do about 15 reps on a lighter weight.

Squats - from around 88lbs up to 132lbs
    Deadlifts - from around 88lbs up to 176lbs
    Single arm bent over row - 39lbs per hand
    Shoulder press (keep it light to prevent injury) around 44lbs
    Bicep curls - 17lbs per hand using dumbbells

When I’m in the gym I’m not trying to lift as heavy as I can .. I do 4 sets of 12-15 reps in a medium weight for me so I get a good amount of cardio and also build muscle. I go lighter on shoulders as it’s so easy to tear your rotary calf and I’ve known people who have. When I squat I go for a good weight that will get my heart rate up but not be so heavy that my form isn’t correct.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Squat 185lb
    Bench 105lb
    DL 225lb
    Hip thrust (my fave) 470lb