Is having to keep going number two a normal part of the 'healthy eating' transition?

Sorry if this is graphic..

So, for the last few weeks when I've been working on cutting out processed foods, eating fresh foods, and introducing more fruits and veggies to my diet-I've noticed I can't seem to stop going number two some days. Depending on the day, I'll have anywhere from 3-6 or so bowel movements-usually fairly small ones that pass very easily.

Is this to be expected with a diet change like this? Or should I be considering something else is going on and the fact that it started right as I began to make dietary changes is a massive coincidence?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Maybe you are changing your diet too fast/too much.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    They're almost certainly related.

Personally I found that my bowl movements changed dramatically when I started eating at a calorie deficit. You used to be able to be able to set a clock by my toilet habits, now, well similar to your situations. Some days nothing, others, multiple times a day. I've always assumed it was something to do with fibre (something I've not been actively tracking) but have never really worried about it.
  • Linkero
    Linkero Posts: 28 Member
    Fiber. Your diet is probably rich in fiber now! That will surely make things a bit more active. I've always been a daily dumper, but after introducing more fiber I've been hitting the hoop at least twice a day. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can give you the technicalities behind it, and tell you the pros/cons.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Any time you add more fiber( fruit and veg) you usually change your bathroom habits. If it continues for longer than a month OR you start having pain, then you should see a doctor. Without knowing how much fruit and veg you were eating before, this is the best answer I can give.
  • Perriwen
    Perriwen Posts: 32 Member
    Deviette wrote: »
    They're almost certainly related.

Personally I found that my bowl movements changed dramatically when I started eating at a calorie deficit. You used to be able to be able to set a clock by my toilet habits, now, well similar to your situations. Some days nothing, others, multiple times a day. I've always assumed it was something to do with fibre (something I've not been actively tracking) but have never really worried about it.

That's kind of the weird part. Even though it's unpredictable just how many times I have to go, I can usually predict when it'll start and when it'll end.
  • Perriwen
    Any time you add more fiber( fruit and veg) you usually change your bathroom habits. If it continues for longer than a month OR you start having pain, then you should see a doctor. Without knowing how much fruit and veg you were eating before, this is the best answer I can give.

Before-essentially no fruit, and the occasional veggie.

Starting about three weeks ago-fruit of some form everyday, and usually some veggies every few days.

I should also add I'm working on a new sleep schedule, and have almost always had mind abdominal cramping.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Yup an increase in fiber will do it. If it is bothersome to you, you may cut it back, and then gradually increase. Otherwise, it's nothing to worry about. Any change in diet- from what you eat to meal timing can result in a change of bathroom habits.
  • Perriwen
    Yup an increase in fiber will do it. If it is bothersome to you, you may cut it back, and then gradually increase. Otherwise, it's nothing to worry about. Any change in diet- from what you eat to meal timing can result in a change of bathroom habits.

Kind of funny you mentioned that. Initially I was trying to cram as much fiber in as I could. Starting around Sunday I began to moderate it more.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Perriwen wrote: »

Kind of funny you mentioned that. Initially I was trying to cram as much fiber in as I could. Starting around Sunday I began to moderate it more.

Yeah too much fiber too soon can be a bad thing. There's a reason they call it the "salad shooters" sometimes. :lol: Depending on the fiber, it can either stop you up, or loosen you up. Especially if there is a sudden increase.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    If the BM is passing freely (soft, comfortable) but not liquid-y or creating a sense of extreme urgency, I think you're fine.

If you eat more fiber, you'll have more throughput. That's normal.

If it's causing bad symptoms (urgency/diarrhea on the one hand vs. constipation on the other), then moderate fiber and ramp up slowly, or make other dietary changes (hydration/fats in the constipation case; maybe cut back fiber in the urgency case; possibly add probiotic foods like live culture kefir/yogurt, raw sauerkraut/kim chi, miso, kombucha, etc., in either case.)

Just going more often, as long as it's manageable/controllable and not uncomfortable, is not really a problem.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    In case of doubt, get some probiotics supplement (You need to buy them cold in the refridgerated section, and keep them in the fridge afterward, the one stored at room temperature are not as effective). If you feel like it's getting problematic or out of control, it will help you regulate you gut health.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Depending on how much you have moved your sleep schedule, that too could be playing a role.

I am a regular 10:30 am type of woman.

If I travel to a +3hr time zone I am out of kilter and going small but easy 3-4 times a day for 2-3 days.
    If it is +8 hr time zone it can take more than a week to get to the 10:30 that I know and love.
    (Same when reversing home)

Definitely keep the changed sleep schedule in mind.

Cheers, h.
  • Perriwen
    Depending on how much you have moved your sleep schedule, that too could be playing a role.

I am a regular 10:30 am type of woman.

If I travel to a +3hr time zone I am out of kilter and going small but easy 3-4 times a day for 2-3 days.
    If it is +8 hr time zone it can take more than a week to get to the 10:30 that I know and love.
    (Same when reversing home)

Definitely keep the changed sleep schedule in mind.

Cheers, h.

That's what I was hoping...crossing my fingers it steadies out once I hit normalcy.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Funnily enough I'm the opposite. Before I started again and my diet was processed and cheap I'd literally poo once or twice a day. I'm thinking it's a case of less in less out? I'm.happy with my fibre so I'm guessing it is. I'm.not constipated just less regular now.
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    I kind of wish that I had that issue. I go days without :(
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Yes— and it’s a GOOD thing!! Fiber.