HELP!

Looking for some insight! Lately I’ve been SO HUNGRY! My 1,700 calorie goal does not seem like enough! I just got off of my period and just started birth control! My appetite has been insane & I seem to be retaining water! Is it safe to say it’s the birth control?

Also, any ideas on how to handle it? I’m going crazy!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Could be the birth control, yes. Why not just eat at maintenance till the wedding?
  • LauraSrock18
    LauraSrock18 Posts: 125 Member
    Could be the birth control, yes. Why not just eat at maintenance till the wedding?

I guess I have this fear I’ll gain somehow. :(

I seem to be up & down in weight trying to be in a deficit so I worry I’ll just keep going up at maintenance. People suggest me lowering my calories until I’m losing again but I think I’ll lose my mind!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Have you tried using a weight trending app to help take the edge off of those fluctuations?
  • LauraSrock18
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Have you tried using a weight trending app to help take the edge off of those fluctuations?

I used to use “happy scale” but for me, it was a little difficult to understand. I also found myself getting frustrated about the dates they gave me to reach milestones. Which sounds so silly :(
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Does your dress fit you now?
    If so, start relaxing.

Eat at maintenance. Keep your eye on sodium and try to keep your intake level to cut down on water retention highs and lows.
    Keep hydrated.

Not sure what your exercise routine is, but you may benefit from cutting back and just going for a nice long walk daily to help clear your head and cut down on any 'hangry' episodes intense exercise may cause. (You may drop some water weight if you are switching from high to low intensity exercise.)

Some BC can cause water retention in some women. Research the one you are on. It could be temporary, it could be unrelated to BC, but stress induced.

Cheers, h.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member

I seem to be up & down in weight trying to be in a deficit so I worry I’ll just keep going up at maintenance. People suggest me lowering my calories until I’m losing again but I think I’ll lose my mind!

How often are you weighing yourself? If you weigh yourself every day, it's normal to see fluctuations in weight. Water retention can make it seem like you gained 3-5 pounds overnight. A few days later, your body stops retaining water and the numbers you see on the scale will be more accurate to what you really weigh. That's why most people would recommend weighing yourself once a week. Weighing yourself daily, you'll just run into more times when your body is retaining water and make you think your weight is yo-yo'ing up and down.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    I think you need to find a way to disconnect yourself emotionally from the numbers. You seem almost hyper-responsive to them, to the point where it's become detrimental for you.

Easier said than done, I know... but I think that's at the root of your problem.

What if you just stopped weighing yourself? Sounds like you understand (brain) the basics of calorie balance/deficit, but you have some irrational fears (heart) that are tripping you up. Can you simply do what you need to do (follow your diet/plan) and put your trust in the process?
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Stress could also be the issue. Make sure you eat nutritious food that are appealing and satisfying for you : If you crave pasta, just eat them, you can make them fit in your macros, add more brocoli to it so you feel like you eat more yet it keep the calorie low. If you already eat your craving, eat veggie stick. Even if you get to 1800 calories a day because of them, you will not gain weight and you'll have chewed stuff all day.
  • LauraSrock18
    It's already been asked, but you haven't replied. Does your dress fit?

Yes it does!
  • TavistockToad
    edited August 2018

Yes it does!

So you don't want to lose any more weight... you don't want it to not fit properly!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    A few years ago I lost around 100 lbs. there were times during the year where my stress level went up to due to life events. during that period, even though i ate the same and tracked the same, i put on a few pounds. i am sure there are more technical reasons but the stress was impacting my weight loss. once things calmed down things went back on track

i can only imagine the stress and excitement being so close to your big day.

If you are already hungry i wouldn't lower the calories any more and agree with eating maintenance.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42438948#Comment_42438948

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42356746#Comment_42356746

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member

I think you misread. It was suggested that you eat at maintenance, not a surplus. Based on your recent posts, you need to relax and focus on your wedding. Give this diet gig a break for a while.
  • maggiejo717
    maggiejo717 Posts: 3 Member
    Drink lots of water and load up on veggies!!!
  • TavistockToad
    I think you all are right! Totally binged twice today & went off the rails. I think I need to refocus & reprioritize :(

You need to just chill out and stop thinking about food!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

Yes it does!

then eat at maintenance and RELAX!

i get it, im getting married soon too. and ya know what? i dont let *kitten* bother me. my dress fits. thats all i care about.

RELAX.

of course, im the most chill bride eveer and just dgaf about anything, so theres that.

its one day. ONE FREAKING DAY.
  • Don't beat yourself up my friend. If you ever need to talk I'm here. :) You can do this!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I think you all are right! Totally binged twice today & went off the rails. I think I need to refocus & reprioritize :(

You sound super stressed and are making me glad I eloped... Please try to relax and remember that this one day, while it should be important and beautiful and fun and memorable, is still just one day out of the rest of your lives together.