How exactly do you eat your exercise calories back?

124»

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Usually with a fork, but sometimes with my hands. ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I usually eat to satisfaction. Some days, I'm very hungry and will eat them back. Other days, I'm not very hungry and I don't eat them all back. But, it's nice to know I've got a little bit of a reserve for those days I'm just ravenous and eat over my daily goal. I don't know if being more vigilant would help me drop these last few pounds more quickly, but I'm okay with only losing 1-2 pounds a month.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Yes, something with the adjust is messed up. Using your figures, if correct.

Fitbit 2180 - 2180 MFP estimated daily burn = 0 adjustment.

MFP estimated daily burn 2180 - 250 deficit = 1930 eating goal.

You ate 2390 = 460 over goal.

Now - I find it odd your Fitbit TDEE exactly matches what MFP estimated your daily burn with no exercise and whatever activity level you selected would be. Possible in theory, but in practice exactly matching ....

So I'm guessing there is something being read wrong.

If it says on Food diary 881 in exercise - that means Fitbit adjustment and any exercise you manually logged.
    You log anything manually on MFP as exercise? Get the start time/duration right for what you want to correct so Fitbit side is overwritten correctly? If that was done, is workout showing on Fitbit side?

In that case it would actually be:
    Fitbit 2180 - 1299 MFP estimated daily burn = 881 adjustment

1299 as non-exercise even Sedentary TDEE - sounds unlikely.

Yes, this is odd. Those numbers matching exactly is just a coincidence. Yesterday, I ate 2054, burned 2454 according to fitbit. Exactly 400 deficit. So 150cals under the goal deficit of 250cal. But MFP says I should have eaten 983 calories more instead of 150 cals more. 833 cal difference between my and MFP calculations. On previous days I had for example 460, 637 difference. It's all over the place.

And to answer your question, no I don't log any exercise manually on mfp. I use my fitbit only to track my activity.

I have a suspicion, that MFP might be using not calories but some other data it receives from fitbit to estimate my burn, like number of steps or kilometres, which could explain the difference technically, I guess.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    How do I eat my exercise calories?

Personally with great caution.

I have Strava hooked up to this app which I usually use with a HRM when doing various cardio sessions.

I also when a step track (Misfit Ray) which also syncs here which tracks various dog walks, running errands on my bike, general activity and a lot of sitting at my desk.

In my personal experience it gives me way too many extra calories.

If I followed it blindly or even ate 80% I'd be gaining not slowly losing which is my current goal.

Timing wise I like to eat more at the weekend so factor this in during the week.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    edited August 2018
    I eat them back daily, but my exercise tends to be around the same level every day (walking and cycling). Because it's predictable I tend to plan my food by taking the exercise I'll do into account before I've done it.

Perhaps if I did really long, intense exercise sessions just a couple of times a week I'd do things differently.

I do use the weekly tool as a safety net to balance things out if I'm over or under on a given day. Rather than "saving" exercise calories for high calorie days I'll cut back slightly for a few days afterwards until the extra cals have been more or less evened out (at least to maintenence level)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    As an ardently hedonistic li'l ol' lady, I recognize that I enjoy occasional caloric blow-outs. Therefore, now in maintenance, I keep my daily calorie goal set a few hundred (say 250-300) under my sedentary maintenance calories (as calculated from my own data). That allows extra calories to accumulate for random indulgences once a week or so.

Normally, I simply add my (carefully estimated) exercise calories to my diary, and eat them back the same day. If I have a big event coming up, or I feel pretty satiated (maybe from an over-goal day the day before), or I'm seeing a little body weight creep, I may under-eat my daily goal, but it's just a thought process about my net calories, not about what fraction of exercise I'm eating back.

I guess that amounts to not treating them any differently than any other calories.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I do TDEE. My exercise is predictable, but I am a meal planner and I found it incredibly triggering to have a "red" number until the exercise ported over from runkeeper. So I figured out my daily calorie TDEE, and calculated a deficit, and do that instead.

I do TDEE as well, my regular exercise is already factored in.

If I do something extra or different, I'll add it the day of.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    I don't eat back my calories back. In the beginning I didn't understand how my 1200 calories goal became 1390, but then I realized it was the calories I got back from exercising. Some days I have a hard time achieving the 1200 and since I feel full, I just stop there. I figure I have a lot to lose, so the only way I would eat them back is if I was feeling really hungry.

If you have a lot to lose, that’s when you should be eating them. You need to fuel your workouts and maintain a sustainable deficit to prevent binging.
    Also, you won’t have any room to go lower as you lose.
  • atkhorses
    atkhorses Posts: 45 Member
    Have a question:
    On MFP, do we have to reach our calorie amount each day? Can we be 200 under? Also, if we have macros set up do we eat enough calories to not go over our macros? I'm all over the place with exercise calories so if we need to meet our macros and stay close to calorie to lose amount, and MFP suggests to eat our exercise cals back, then I will eat my exercise cals.
  • AnnPT77
    atkhorses wrote: »
    Have a question:
    On MFP, do we have to reach our calorie amount each day? Can we be 200 under? Also, if we have macros set up do we eat enough calories to not go over our macros? I'm all over the place with exercise calories so if we need to meet our macros and stay close to calorie to lose amount, and MFP suggests to eat our exercise cals back, then I will eat my exercise cals.

Precision is really not required.

It's not a great idea to undereat calorie goal by hundreds on a regular basis, because in many scenarios it can result in undernutrition, or set you up for a restrict/binge cycle. But being a couple hundred under (or over) occasionally is no big deal. Look at your weekly totals, and keep those reasonable (plus and minus)

Close counts with macros, too. If anything, it's good to think of protein and fats as minimums, because those are essential nutrients (you have to eat some; your body can't manufacture any, though it can manufacture carbs).

Note that if you hit each macro exactly, you should be close to exact on calories (if you used accurate database entries and didn't drink alcohol), because that's how the math works. That means if you're a little over on one, you'll have to be a little under on others, in order to hit calorie goal. But close on all of them is good enough.

And, assuming you set your profile per MFP directions, you should eat back exercise, because it didn't include exercise in calculating your goal calories. If you're worried the exercise is overestimated, eat back a percentage to start and watch results.

If you set your calorie goal based on TDEE from an outside calculator (which would already figure in your exercise), then don't eat it back, because that would be double counting. If you set your calorie goal based on personal weight loss results, it matters whether you included exercise in the calculations.
  • atkhorses
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have a question:

It's not a great idea to undereat calorie goal by hundreds on a regular basis, because in many scenarios it can result in undernutrition, or set you up for a restrict/binge cycle. But being a couple hundred under (or over) occasionally is no big deal. Look at your weekly totals, and keep those reasonable (plus and minus)

Close counts with macros, too. If anything, it's good to think of protein and fats as minimums, because those are essential nutrients (you have to eat some; your body can't manufacture any, though it can manufacture carbs).

Note that if you hit each macro exactly, you should be close to exact on calories (if you used accurate database entries and didn't drink alcohol), because that's how the math works. That means if you're a little over on one, you'll have to be a little under on others, in order to hit calorie goal. But close on all of them is good enough.

And, assuming you set your profile per MFP directions, you should eat back exercise, because it didn't include exercise in calculating your goal calories. If you're worried the exercise is overestimated, eat back a percentage to start and watch results.

If you set your calorie goal based on TDEE from an outside calculator (which would already figure in your exercise), then don't eat it back, because that would be double counting. If you set your calorie goal based on personal weight loss results, it matters whether you included exercise in the calculations.

Thanks, Ann, this makes so much sense to me! I did set my calorie goal based on TDEE because I can't figure out how to get MFP to set it for me. You mentioned 'profile' so I will check there now. What clicked is counting exercise and eating back those cals when using MFP's calculations.
  • atkhorses
    Have a question:

I don't know where my last reply to you went.......anyway, thanks, Ann for your help. I understand now the difference between TDEE and MFP calculations.

I changed MFP profile and it gave me Protein 74g, Fats 49g and carbs 185g. I have been doing Keto, so haven't eaten but less than 20g/day. I will probably see a slight gain. But, I suppose using the mentioned macros, will see a loss in a couple of weeks. Thanks so much!
  • atkhorses
    Have a question:

Basically, I've been undereating on Keto. I feel like I have damaged my metabolism
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2018
    Have a question:

Basically, I've been undereating on Keto. I feel like I have damaged my metabolism

It's actually quite hard to damage your metabolism. Unless you have been undereating for years you're probably fine.
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2018
    Have a question:

It's off topic for this thread, but: No, you haven't. If you've been undereating and it sapped your energy, you're burning fewer calories in daily life and workouts than you could. Gradually increase calories, get solid nutrition, keep working out, and your metabolism will be fine. If you want to discuss it more, start a thread on the topic (carefully: those of us around here along time have heard a lot of woo about "metabolic damage" and can get kneejerk cranky kinda fast. ;) ).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'd even suggest 50 above is better than 200 below if this happens frequently.

And it's not so much as you damaged your metabolism - but rather your body adapted to some craziness you put on it. And it can take a while to go back to normal.
    Same thing with vitamin or mineral deficiency can have some bad short/long term effects, but generally you take care of it and body will respond. Obviously to the extreme and you may have to live with effects forever, just like those with ED that go to extreme, who actually may not live.
    But hair and nails generally grow back.

Oh - after the profile is updated - you can edit your eating goals and change the macros to whatever you want.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I don't eat back my calories back. In the beginning I didn't understand how my 1200 calories goal became 1390, but then I realized it was the calories I got back from exercising. Some days I have a hard time achieving the 1200 and since I feel full, I just stop there. I figure I have a lot to lose, so the only way I would eat them back is if I was feeling really hungry.

How much weight have you lost in the last two months? Does the average of that equal the weekly weight loss goal you set in MFP?
    • If you're losing faster than expected, you are undereating and need to eat back those exercise calories.
    • If you are losing as expected or are not losing as fast as expected, you are making logging errors and are in fact eating more than you think. This is very common and we can help you with it if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Gonna be very honest: a lot of my workouts are based on what I want to eat (I am a junk food junkie!). My base calories are my normal foods and I'm a fairly repetitive eater. During school seasions, I eat the same things almost everyday for breakfast and lunch.

I enjoy running and know that at my pace I burn slightly more than 100cal per kilometer. So if I want that giant slice of cheesecake that's 500 calories, I know that I need to run at least 5k. (I usually run 2-3 miles even when I don't plan my snacks). I also strength train, and because I'm also a bit lazy with things, I don't add that into my diary - too complicated to figure the calories burned from one exercise to another - possible, but I don't feel like it.

Currently I am recovering from surgery, so I upped my calories (maintenance) to help my body recover faster and better. Once I'm recovered - back to junk food workouts.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Have a question:

Precision is certainly not required. I would also add that precision is impossible to achieve. Professional laboratories with Class A equipment hold a 20% margin of error and this is with food prepared under strict clinical conditions with a minimum of two trained professionals preparing and reviewing data.

Be as precise as you can, but don't major in the minors. Prioritize tasks with value and impact and let the rest go.