Binge eating

Hi guys,
I am in a serious binge eating mood for the last few weeks and can't seem to break it.
Since January i managed to lose almost 16kg, but this binge cycle has made me gain back 4kg!

Any ideas how to break it? It's really getting my mood low and I don't want to go back to being morbidly obese again...

Replies

• emhorn625
    emhorn625 Posts: 35 Member
    What are you binging on? Try keeping only healthy "binge" food in the house.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    farahrahm wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am in a serious binge eating mood for the last few weeks and can't seem to break it.
    Since January i managed to lose almost 16kg, but this binge cycle has made me gain back 4kg!

Any ideas how to break it? It's really getting my mood low and I don't want to go back to being morbidly obese again...

get help...... my advice......
  • EvaMR2018
    EvaMR2018 Posts: 2 Member
    I chew on ice chips when I feel like binge eating.
  • Transmogrifaloo
    Transmogrifaloo Posts: 4 Member
    I really agree with what cookster82 said.

I've kept 25 kg off for six years and I binge at times too. It makes you feel rotten and it's difficult to figure out why we do this to ourselves when we feel so bad afterward (but damn it feels good when it's going in!) I'm definitely gonna try that self coaching exercise!

Tracking has helped me. And like cookster82 says - sometimes it's not as bad as you think. The key thing is to pick yourself up, dust off those cookie crumbs and keep going. Don't punish yourself by trying to compensate, just go back to a normal, nutritious plan the next day and do some exercise.

Remind yourself of why maintaining a healthy weight is important to you. What are all the cool things about feeling fit and healthy that motivate you?

Eat your favourite healthy foods it will make you feel oh so much better than a binge.

AND! It's OK. You're doing OK. You're human. Junk food is delicious so it's natural to want to binge on it sometimes! You can still be the weight you want to be so don't give up.

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Are you eating enough protein? Are you feeling deprived? Are you logging the food you binge on?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I am just going to add to my above that I kept reading people in this board emphasize protein and I was a non believer until I did increase my protein. Days that I am hyper focused on protein are days that I am more satisfied and able to stay on plan. They are days that I have less temptation to binge.
  • farahrahm
    farahrahm Posts: 13 Member
    Are you eating enough protein? Are you feeling deprived? Are you logging the food you binge on?

Yes. Yes. Yes. 🙈
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    You're binging because you feel like you can't have it. Give yourself permission to have "bad" stuff here and there. As long as it fits in your calorie goal, it's OK. Restricting is bound to cause this. It's why people YO YO so often. Give a kid a brand new toy and a box and tell them under no circumstance can they touch the box and what's the first thing they want to do? You got it! Play with the box! Regardless that there is a brand new fun toy next to it. It's the same for restricting foods heavily. Tell yourself that you absolutely cannot have (xyz) and you're going to want it. So, realize that it's OK to indulge, to live life, to have a "bad" thing every now and again. Track it and move on. Also take note of how that food makes your body feel. Was it worth it? Do you really like it? Did it taste as good as you thought? When you continue to really take note, many times you will realize you dont even like the item, you just wanted it because you couldn't have it. I use to be this way about donuts. Back when I restricted heavily, let me around donuts and I'd eat half a dozen!! Once I started to let myself have the things I thought I wanted, I realized that I dont even really like donuts. I hate the way they leave residue in my mouth and make my stomach feel heavy and yucky.... But, I never would have realized if I hadn't given myself permission to have one when I thought I really wanted it.
  • Nikeolie
    Nikeolie Posts: 52 Member
    I say tracking the binge prior to binging really helps me not binge. Just seeing the calories that I'd be consuming knocks some sense in me. Most of the time when I pre-track my binge it helps me stop the actual binge but occasionally it doesn't help. When I binge just remember that it doesn't make it a free day, get back to tracking after that binge.