Anxiety Medication question...

I've been taking lexapro for about a year now. The only side effect I've had is dry mouth. I'm just curious if anyone has that from taking something and what they do to fix it. It's not a constant problem. It's just really annoying at night and when i wake up the filmy feeling really really bothers me.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I haven't but dry mouth can be a side effect to a lot of prescriptions. My mom and I were just talking about this. She saw commercials for a mouth wash and a gum for dry mouth, both were brands you'd expect to find in the toothpaste aisle. She is going to give them a try.

Hope you find a solution!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Look for Biotene products in the store.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2018
    My grampa uses a mouthwash specifically for dry mouth. They exist.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Yes, I believe it is called Biotene. I believe there is a toothpaste and a mouthwash. I take Cymbalta and this morning I woke up with my tongue glued to the roof of my mouth. I've tried Biotene and I didn't notice much difference for me. I find it interesting that I am drinking the same amount of water (about 6 glasses) as I did before I started MFP, but suddenly, I crave so much more and get dry mouth more often.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I got the Walmart version of biotene mouthwash. I alternate that with diluted peroxide and I have non-sls toothpaste.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    There are dry-mouth lozenges that work pretty well. No sugar mints do the trick too.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    I take Lexapro, too. I just chew gum all the time.
  • menafraashley
    menafraashley Posts: 2 Member
    I take Wellbutrin for my anxiety and it seems to work really well I also have depression and I also take meds for that to but it does suck I feel like having these two things it makes me not appreciate myself or what I’m worth I’m always telling myself I’m worthless and I shouldn’t b in this world
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    I take Lexapro, too. I just chew gum all the time.

Does that help?
    There are dry-mouth lozenges that work pretty well. No sugar mints do the trick too.

I tried looking on pinterest and wasn't getting anything, so i appreciate this.
    Thanks y'all! I'm going to check Walmart when I get the kids from school.
  • rgoncalves1
    rgoncalves1 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been taking lexapro for about a year now. The only side effect I've had is dry mouth. I'm just curious if anyone has that from taking something and what they do to fix it. It's not a constant problem. It's just really annoying at night and when i wake up the filmy feeling really really bothers me.
    Thanks in advance!

Doctor here, it is a common sife effect of many benzodiazepins, not to be worried about. The positive side is it does help alot towards hydration goals.

Watermellon lozengues ussually work well
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    You should ask your doctor maybe request to switch medications.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Thanks in advance!

Doctor here, it is a common sife effect of many benzodiazepins, not to be worried about. The positive side is it does help alot towards hydration goals.

Watermellon lozengues ussually work well

Are you actually a doctor? Lexapro is not a benzodiazepine.

ok. i was like wait....but i'm not a doctor...

lexapro is not a benzo. it is an ssri. biotene and other similar products should help. what does your doctor say? if it's an issue, you could switch. it wouldn't be enough for me to switch but everyone is different
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2018
    I take Wellbutrin for my anxiety and it seems to work really well I also have depression and I also take meds for that to but it does suck I feel like having these two things it makes me not appreciate myself or what I’m worth I’m always telling myself I’m worthless and I shouldn’t b in this world

I think Wellbutrin actually makes my anxiety worse and Lexa pro makes me very tired.