What book are you reading?

Replies

• Severen725
    Severen725 Posts: 84 Member
    “Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye: The Barbara Payton” by John O’Dowd, the most epic Hollywood crash and burn you’ve never heard of.

The nutshell version:
    In 1950 Barbara Payton was a rising starlet making $10,000 a week while costarring with the likes of James Cagney and Gregory Peck.
    In 1967 she died at the age of 39 as a bloated, battered, alcoholic $5.00 prostitute who was missing several of her front teeth.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Clementine. The life of Mrs. Winston Churchill by Sonia Purnell
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    I was telling my son about this, but haven't read it since probably high school so figured I should read it again:
    8kekmn8kwong.jpg
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    I was telling my son about this, but haven't read it since probably high school so figured I should read it again:
    8kekmn8kwong.jpg

Oh my! That's a blast from the past! I should read that again too
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    and by reading I mean listening...

loving this one so far

0bhrb1a8qqt5.png
  • ohcobblers
    ohcobblers Posts: 52 Member
    Currently Reading all at the same time:

Daughters of the Samurai, Janice Nimura
    A Villa Far From Rome, Sheila Finch
    Magician: Apprentice, Raymond Feist
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,293 Member
    and by reading I mean listening...

loving this one so far

0bhrb1a8qqt5.png

Excellent book! A real tear jerker though.
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    i'm currently reading The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy. It's a kidnapping suspense book and so far a pretty good read!
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    I am reading 'The walk home gets longer every day' or something like that. A short story by fredrick backman

I love all of his books! If you haven't read 'My Grandmother Said to Tell You She's Sorry' you should!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Tailchaser's Song
  • mz144
    mz144 Posts: 216 Member
    I am reading 'The walk home gets longer every day' or something like that. A short story by fredrick backman

I love all of his books! If you haven't read 'My Grandmother Said to Tell You She's Sorry' you should!!

I too recommend 'My Grandmother Said to Tell You She's Sorry'. A great read!
  • book_luver
    book_luver Posts: 8 Member
    I'm currently reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Pretty good so far, but I think I spoiled it because I've already watched the film adaptation.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    I have this book on hold from the library.

41nYEMfvoEL._AC_US218_.jpg

Here is a video of what the book is based on: the commencement speech by Admiral William H. McRaven at University of Texas at Austin 2014.

https://youtu.be/pxBQLFLei70
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    paperback-paradise-7.jpg?1384968217
  • Srgq41
    Srgq41 Posts: 1 Member
    I am going to revisit my Stephen King Collection, today I am going to start with his very first book published: Carrie
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Severen725 wrote: »
    “Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye: The Barbara Payton” by John O’Dowd, the most epic Hollywood crash and burn you’ve never heard of.

The nutshell version:
    In 1950 Barbara Payton was a rising starlet making $10,000 a week while costarring with the likes of James Cagney and Gregory Peck.
    In 1967 she died at the age of 39 as a bloated, battered, alcoholic $5.00 prostitute who was missing several of her front teeth.

Exactly which front teeth?

... I'm asking for a friend.
  • Motorsheen
    edited August 2018
    Severen725 wrote: »

The nutshell version:

Just how bloated?

... I'm asking for a friend.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    8kekmn8kwong.jpg

Oh my! That's a blast from the past! I should read that again too

I should, as well! A classic, for sure.
  • Motorsheen
    SwannySez wrote: »
    paperback-paradise-7.jpg?1384968217

I'm just waiting for the movie.

*shrug