The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    What do y'all think about non-alcohol beer? I know from experience that non-alcohol wine tastes terrible to me, so I'm not willing to go there at all. I wouldn't have thought about N/A beer, either, but I just read Clare Pooley's book "The Sober Diaries," which I found very inspiring. She regularly drinks Beck's Blue non-alc. beer. My question isn't about the taste, it's about whether this is a good, bad, or neutral idea. I just figured that drinking it might make me want the real thing, although beer is not really my drink of choice. BUT, I really don't like sweet stuff very much at all, and water gets boring. A good, cold non-alcohol beer could be a nice option to have in my arsenal, I THINK. But is this a dangerous idea? I just don't know. So far, V-8 juice is my only really satisfying option that isn't sweet.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    @donimfp funny you should bring this up. We were sitting at the bar the other day and I ordered an O'Douhls. We were having wings and it just felt right. I only had one and it was filling. It did not make me want more. It also did not make me want a "real" beer. This is just MY experience however. I have never been a big beer drinker so maybe someone else that was had a different experience and decided it was not a good idea.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    I think I'll skip the non alcoholic beer ; for me, it may make me long for a real
    One. I even avoided an amaretto cannoli because of the contents even though I know it's probably not even real amaretto used.
  • donimfp
    Thanks for the quick responses! I’ve never been a real beer drinker either. Literally maybe 2–3 a year. I’m just yearning for something flavorful, refreshing, and not sweet. If there were no negative psychological consequences a NA beer would seem to be a good solution. I definitely don’t want to jeopardize this lovely AF roll I’m on.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    tifano wrote: »
    Today I celebrate 6 years of continuous sobriety. Six years ago I was at an all time low emotionally and my only way to cope with life was drinking to blackout. Even when drinking was fun it was never in moderation.

I’m so grateful I had a mustard seed of willingness to try something different. Today I’m living my very best life SOBER. I’ve walked through cancer sober, issues with a severely special needs child sober, lots of other life events that would warrant a drink but I’ve remained sober.

If drinking is an issue for you know there is a solution. I’m happy to help you find help if you want it. Just message me.

My opinion on NA beer is it’s a very slippery slope and there is still alcohol in NA beer. If one is an alcoholic like I am I cannot consume NA beer. Just like I can’t drink mocktails. It’s too triggering. I just drink water and coffee. Grateful today for my life and sobriety.

Congratulations! Six years is amazing and well earned - you've overcome, triumphed , coped and lived life head on.
    Eyes wide open. I'm so happy for you and very proud of you. Xo
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @donimfp Have you tried flavored carbonated water?. Nestle or PC & other brands flavor it with lemon, lime, raspberry, cranberry etc in some really yummy combos. I have no problem drinking it as is, but sometimes mix it with 1/4 cup of cranberry juice or some other juice to give it a wee bit of sweetness.

My drink of choice was always dry red wine, but on a hot summer day I also liked having an ice cold beer. I don't think I'd chance the NA beer personally just cause that's me....With beer I loved the ice cold fizz & can get the same effect from carbonated water.
  • donimfp
    @lorrainequiche59, thanks and yes I drink LaCroix sometimes.

So interesting . . . I checked out the Sober Mummy blog for the first time tonight and the first (latest) topic was NA beer, wine, spirits. The consensus seemed to be that they are a lifeline for some people and dangerous for others. A couple expressed my desire for a non- sweet alternative that had more flavor than water.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    I don't know why ginger beer has to have the word beer to it. I find it irritating, lol. I am going to make some myself sometime. I have the ginger already. It is basically fresh ginger, sweetener of some sort and carbonated water. I can have it in a glass if I want to. I personally won't go near something labled non-alcoholic. It seems to be more and more on the displays lately in the stores, ugh. It is just too scary for me. I just can't risk how good that I have it now.
  • donimfp
    Here is a link to Clare Pooley's blog. I found the March 2 entry, aimed at newbies to sobriety like me, to be a nice, succinct summary of what I'm going through now. I agree that for me, the difference this time is that I am excited about freedom from alcohol vs. dreading having to "give up" something important to me.

http://mummywasasecretdrinker.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2018-03-22T01:51:00-07:00&max-results=3&start=12&by-date=false