Bad air making me hungry

623.tiff

13smoke.tiff

I'm not walking, I'm not riding my bike, I'm not doing anything that will increase my respiration rate. Which doesn't just mean boredom and agitation, it means I'm burning fewer calories. August used to be the best time of year.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    That sucks. Do you at least have a gym or indoor track that you can use to get some exercise? It would be better than nothing. Hopefully the smoke clears soon.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I go to the gym and lift indoors three times a week. :smile:

Today isn't one of them; instead of going for a lunch walk I'm staying indoors looking around the internet for a deal on ski poles, looking forward to a time when I can breathe free again. I've always taken clean air for granted.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    We had air alerts here (Minnesota) Sunday and Monday because of smoke from forest fires in Canada.
    Better today, but hot and humid still.
    I am totally ready for fall.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    @NorthCascades

Where is that?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Seems like it's every summer now that the West just burns up. I'm in the Midwest and love planning hiking trips to the mountains, but have been rethinking it in recent years. A few of my trips have had to be altered at the last minute due to fires. Hubby has asthma so we really need to be careful.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,319 Member
    I feel your pain, here in the San Francisco Bay Area there are so many fires that it makes me wonder what to do. Should I go for it (it doesn't seem to be bother other people :) ) or do what I think makes sense . . .

I weighed myself this morning and came to the conclusion that I have to find a happy/healthy balance.
  • NorthCascades
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @NorthCascades

Where is that?

Tatooine. No, Seattle!
  • NorthCascades
    Seems like it's every summer now that the West just burns up. I'm in the Midwest and love planning hiking trips to the mountains, but have been rethinking it in recent years. A few of my trips have had to be altered at the last minute due to fires. Hubby has asthma so we really need to be careful.

A house I've been looking at (to buy and one day retire to) is in an evacuation zone. I'm doing some rethinking myself. :neutral:

Normally I tell people to come out here in August. We spend half the year waiting for the best trails to melt out, then enjoy them for a small period until the snow comes again. But this is becoming an annual thing. More than a month of it last August and it's been back for a while.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited August 2018
    @NorthCascades

Where is that?

Tatooine. No, Seattle!

@NorthCascades

Dang...I'm glad my vacation was last week. We had a glorious time in Seattle last week...it was beautiful. Stayed in West Seattle...

We were in Anacortes for a couple of days visiting a friend and whale watching...it was hazy up there for sure.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I feel ya! The smoke is ridiculous out here too. (Northwest US). I'm kind of afraid to work out and flare up my asthma. I've been puffing on my inhaler lately like it's going out of style. (Way more then the usual pre-workout puff.) Last week combined with the heavy pollen count was crazy. I was taking every allergy thing I could get my hands on (and safely combine). I can't wait for cooler/ moist weather to hit, and put some of these fires out. Not quite ready for snow yet, but if it knocks some fires out, bring it on. e048.png
  • rainykatie
    rainykatie Posts: 91 Member
    I'm in the NW too (Oregon) and sad to say that I think this is the new normal for August. :( We do a big camping trip every year to the high Cascades on Labor Day weekend, and the last 2 years we canceled due to the smoke being unbearable.

I know what you mean about how August used to be the best month to get out and explore. Last year the smoke hung around until the rains started in September. Seems like in the future July is going to be more dependable with climate change, as the snow should be melting earlier and the fires won't quite have gotten out of control... hopefully.

I'm lucky enough to live on the coast so we only get smoke blowing in every now and then as usually the wind off the ocean keeps it inland, but I've stopped planning to leave the beach in August.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Your view looks very similar to mine in Victoria, BC @NorthCascades. I can usually see the Olympic Mts, WA, from my kitchen window. Today and yesterday it looks like the earth ends at a small mount 0.5km away!

I think this is the worst forest fire smog we have had in a long time. It tends to blow over us quite fast, as we are on the coast, but this August it has been a lot hotter (36-41centegrade in the garden) with no wind.

The most I'm doing outside is gardening, no heavy duty stuff.

@cwolfman13, I can't believe you got as far as Anacortes and didn't get the ferry over to visit :(

Cheers, h.
  • NorthCascades
    @NorthCascades

Where is that?

Tatooine. No, Seattle!

@NorthCascades

Dang...I'm glad my vacation was last week. We had a glorious time in Seattle last week...it was beautiful. Stayed in West Seattle...

We were in Anacortes for a couple of days visiting a friend and whale watching...it was hazy up there for sure.

Glad you mostly missed it. We've had smoke high up in the atmosphere for a while, but the winds shifted yesterday and not only brought a lot more in, but also brought it down to ground level where we're breathing it in.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Yeah, It's deja vu/Summer 2017 all over again.

Lower snowfall, less runoff, remember the mountains used to stay white all summer? *lesigh*

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Yeah, It's deja vu/Summer 2017 all over again.

Lower snowfall, less runoff, remember the mountains used to stay white all summer? *lesigh*

Yep, just like last year except we don't have the ash this year.

I skipped my lunch time walk and paced around the office today. I was supposed to go to Eastern Washington this weekend. Think I may put it off a couple weeks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Sorry you can't get out today. This should pass in a day or two.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    @lorrpb Sorry to whine. This really rattles my cage. It bothers me more than I can even explain. It feels like a post-apocalypse story where the sky isn't blue anymore.

I don't remember it being so bad until the last couple years.
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    Im with you guys 100%. I'm in Bellingham and was just complaining earlier today about how the best time of year here and the last hurrah of summer seems to be a thing of the past. The last few years have been like this in August. We get a majority of the smoke here from the BC fires but also get it from the east. This smoke is just unbearable and depressing.