Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    peggym4640 wrote: »
    Hey gang!

Just wanted to share something that "may" bless your socks off! Ya know, I see many overweight and obese woman that keep themselves looking sharp and good. Unfortunately, I was so NOT one of them. I just could never find clothes and stuff that looked good on me AND I was too slothful/lazy/unmotivated/quite frankly "shiftless" (as we use to call it) to keep up my appearance on a daily basis. I would just wear regularly big ole tee-shirts, baggy jogging/sloppy looking clothes, etc. Another thing this "decluttering and letting GO: of everything hindering me to be the best I could be and do the best that I could. I started purposely making it my business to "look" better and look "cute" everyday, as my home and surroundings/environment and I began to be "slimmer" less clutter, mess and fat--more minimalistic and clean and prettier. I started MAKING myself dress/look cleaner and prettier too--EVERYDAY!

This may sound like "common-sense" or unnecessary to read/talk about, but for a lot of obese/overweight people (especially stay at home moms, etc.) BELIEVE ME, this is a real issue haunting and troubling many folk. It really is, and I aint scare to bring it up/talk about with y'all because I care and it's working something tremendous to/for me and I think it's important to share! Also, this doesn't necessarily mean more make-up either. I don't wear make-up myself, but to each is own. One does NOT have to fill their face with make-up and wigs to look super CUTE, natural beauty is REAL, no matter that TV/Movies tell/show us.

What does this have to do with decluttering and simplifying y/our lives? A LOT. Making yourself look attractive does something powerful in/thru/to you. Now I'm NOT talking about spending a lot of money or the folly/foolishness of getting into the slavery called DEBT to look good-to >:) with that, period. You can wash and wear the same outfits overs and over and look REALLY good, you really can. It's all about the "attitude" as they say. Also, GOOD Hygiene and declutterization (is that a word) are BEST FRIENDS. Before we boarded this train called CHANGE, many of us allowed poor hygiene and "who cares spirit" to rule and reign in our mind/hearts and lives. MAKE yourself pamper yourself daily with good hygiene (bathing/showering/brushing you teeth, combing/styling your hair, etc.) and literally going out of your way to be looking/smelling/living better and better more and more each day. DO IT, make it a priority with your decluttering and WATCH what happens in/thru/to you.

{{{{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}}}}}} and let's do this, as "they" say. EVERYDAY, no matter what--no matter how much you may not "feel" like it--DO IT ANYWAY. Operation look CUTER daily is a challenge that you will thank yourself for (and your spouse, family, friends will too). I promise. Rome wasn't built in a day, as with decluttering, little by little, step by step, one "issue" at a time. <3o:)<3

Here's some article that may inspire you:

https://www.complex.com/style/2013/08/10-ways-dressing-well-helps-you-in-life/

https://www.riskology.co/dress-well/

If this comes up twice, I apologize. But I couldn't agree with this post more. I bought some new clothes and took some old ones to be altered to fit me exactly as I was. Not in 10 pounds, not in 20 but where my body was in that moment. That led to feeling good which led to making small changes to my diet - adding things in instead of eliminating the things I love, I started working out and then I started counting my calories. It was slow and it worked for me. Accepting where I was and embracing the beauty of where I was (and therapy) had a huge impact.

Thanks for posting me and the beautiful reminder of how far I've come!

My absolute PLEASURE and THANK you so much for your major contribution to this thread. Man, what you've shared is nothing less than powerful and so encouraging too. You so Rock, period. Super YAY YOU!!!!!! o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Hey gang~

I just thought about something I'd been doing for the past few weeks and wanted to mention it, but always forget (and speaking of forget, I restarted doing this AFTER forgetting about it for years), when my beloved hubby told me a couple of weeks ago that I'm looking "taller"(because I'm losing weight/body fat)--that inspired to to begin to focus on my posture, even as a NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) type of thang....

Holding my tummy in on the regular and practicing good/better posture (even if I'm sitting or "coach-potatoing"). Wow, "practicing" holding one's tummy in, walking with shoulders back a bit and even a bit more "graceful/encouraged/elegant" as I walk and good posture in general (and not to mention the better and positive attitude about myself and others and again, FOCUSING on good posture) does something wonderful in and thru me. The more I practice good posture and hold my tummy in (even if it's just a wee bit) is helping me in ways that are hard to describe. What does this have to do with Letting it GO! Well, carrying myself with better posture is somehow super raises my poise/equilibrium. It makes me feel more beautiful inside and out, which in turns is helping me even more in the area of letting GO of fear and excess negative thinking and being (as walking with poor posture and slump shoulders, etc. seems to encourage negativity, which sparks carelessness/slothfulness and yuck in me more). Lastly, practicing good posture ALL the time, somehow matches with a more decluttered/simplied lifestyle too. Just a thought I wanted to share! Walking tall and confident is truly NEAT!

Thanks for sharing! My mom is a physical therapist and always told me to "sit up straight" - I'm finally listening to her!!!

OH man, all of my aches and pains for years have come down to lack of proper posture. I still struggle most days with learning this. Should have listened to my Grandmother all those years ago. Thanks for the reminder.

W <3 W This is really so important and easily overlooked or worse, dismissed. Thank you ever so very much for contributing to this thread. WHO knows how many people will read what you wrote and go ahead and begin "straightening" up their posture and gain all kinds of benefits they never even considered. You and your Grandmother ROCK, period. <3o:)<3
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Wow, on the subject of posture, I saw this pic on another thread and had to post it here for inspiration and the WHAT???? uhhhh--WOW! factor:
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Good suggestions above. How is your posture? 3g802qcn2c3y.png

This pic comes from this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10687838/how-much-to-lose-for-a-flat-stomach/p1

I have suddenly been working on my posture. And holding my belly in. Thank you for this inspiration! ( and reminder)
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME - YES! Love your last post! Thank you - you're awesome! I wore a pretty skirt that I always "save for another time" last night! AND I TUCKED MY SHIRT IN!!! I'm waiting until spring for a new wardrobe but that does not mean I cannot wear the pretty things I've shyed away from for so long and rock em! Wooho!

WAIT! STOP the presses...did I hear/read correctly?

"And you tucked your shirt in???? AND YOU TUCKED YOUR SHIRT IN????!!!!???? Woah Nellie--that's major league cuteness you did right there AND a huge, a big ole accomplishment, seriously, when one tucks their shirt in--the war is just about OVER honey and you're winning this battle for SURE--WOW! I'm so thrilled for you I could cry. You fabulous beautiful woman you! Also, whenever someone says something about me, good, bad or indifferent, I always say: "it takes one to know one". Your calling me "awesome" is simply a reflection of you, because you yourself are awesome (period) and again, I'm THRILLED with what's going on in/around and about you. Get it girl!!!! BOOM!

P.S. You're also inspiring me, I have the CUTEST short blue jean dress in my closet (that looks super good on me too/fits so nice and looks tremendous on me--but I haven't worn it yet) this blue jean dress is mega cute and "sassy" short (nothing shameful, but short--like a few inches above my knee,shorter than bermuda shorts, but for me, that's short o:) ) this jean dress has been "beggin/calling" me to get in it, and go somewhere and have some fun with my husboo, I'm going to wear it tomorrow, just because and because of your inspiration. THANK YOU so much for posting and for the inspiration/encouragement. YAY YOU!!!!!!

The dress looks kinda like this (but NOT quite as "fitted" as the one below)--it's super CUTE and so, perfect for "operation MAKE yourself get/look CUTE(R)--no matter what", too. This is the length--which I haven't "rocked" a dress this short in many moons...I'm doing it, tomorrow and will wear it a lot more before summer ends too.
    F1015A6870%287%29.jpg

Just seeing this today - gave me a big smile! Did you wear your dress?? It is super cute!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Decluttering is good for the bank balance.

When I was decluttering, I had to throw out a huge basket of my son’s old assorted plastic Kinder Surprise pieces. They’re too small to be recycled here. I feel bad about that all going into landfill. Now I see most things in the shops as just soon-to-be landfill.

This all means I don’t spend as much as I used to. It's a really good feeling being in control of one's spending. No more impulse buying!

I could not agree more with your position. My decluttering didn't always translate as "environmentalism" for me, but as I keep going, I find myself being much more aware of the life cycle of the things I buy. I get bummed at all the plastic crap that comes into our house via our 4 year old (and the people who buy her said plastic crap), but I am trying to curtail that the best I can.

I have an acquaintance who did a "zero-waste" year a while back, and I was so impressed. I think it might be a bit easier if you're single and have lots of time to plan all the things, but it doesn't mean we can't make little changes here and there to make our living spaces cleaner and welcoming. Our ultimate living space (that would be Earth) can really benefit from our decluttering and purchasing awareness, as well. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. :smile:

P.S. Thanks for all the nice welcome posts and replies! I am excited to be on this thread.

@LuckyNumbers Nice post!

Yes, all the crap I had to throw out that couldn't be recycled really makes me want to do better in the future.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Orphia wrote: »
    Decluttering is good for the bank balance.

When I was decluttering, I had to throw out a huge basket of my son’s old assorted plastic Kinder Surprise pieces. They’re too small to be recycled here. I feel bad about that all going into landfill. Now I see most things in the shops as just soon-to-be landfill.

This all means I don’t spend as much as I used to. It's a really good feeling being in control of one's spending. No more impulse buying!

I could not agree more with your position. My decluttering didn't always translate as "environmentalism" for me, but as I keep going, I find myself being much more aware of the life cycle of the things I buy. I get bummed at all the plastic crap that comes into our house via our 4 year old (and the people who buy her said plastic crap), but I am trying to curtail that the best I can.

I have an acquaintance who did a "zero-waste" year a while back, and I was so impressed. I think it might be a bit easier if you're single and have lots of time to plan all the things, but it doesn't mean we can't make little changes here and there to make our living spaces cleaner and welcoming. Our ultimate living space (that would be Earth) can really benefit from our decluttering and purchasing awareness, as well. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. :smile:

P.S. Thanks for all the nice welcome posts and replies! I am excited to be on this thread.

You are MORE thank welcomed and we're so VERY glad you're here!!!! o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    snoo61 wrote: »
    I cleaned out the top shelf of the freezer because hubby went shrimping, and I needed the room! Now back to the cupboards over the washer. :)
    I sometimes feel like I'm chasing my tail, but things are getting better! Just have to keep reminding myself.

Snoo, it's something about your posts that inspire/encourage me so. Keep up the good thoughts and work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!