Intermittent Fasting...

Options
13»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So no mention in there of Intermittent Fasting, and because one person who has a disreputable past agreed that means it’s untrue?...
    I was responding directly to somebody else's statement which was on topic for the thread, not talking to you or addressing any of your statements. No reason for you to be so defensive.

If I was starting to follow somebody on the internet as a source of information, I'd appreciate other people pointing out tangible evidence that he was a quack and not credible. It would keep me from going down the wrong rabbit hole.

If it hasn’t worked for you, then say....I tried it and it didn’t work for me......
    I've been doing IF a lot longer than you or any of the others who've suddenly discovered it as the latest trend. It has worked just fine for me in terms of satiety and adherence, through both weight loss and almost a year of maintenance. But I don't believe in all the magick and wizardry that people are trying to attach to it and there's no evidence to substantiate any of it.

I think IF is very helpful, for some people, to control their calorie intake while experiencing minimal hunger and maximal satiety. But I also understand that it doesn't work for everybody. IIRC, I believe @psulemon has tried it in the past and said he was miserable on it, so n=1 really is n=1.

same here Im 44 and have been doing IF since proably age 9 or 10. my parents would try to make me eat breakfast but I wouldnt eat until lunch. I still gained weight doing IF eating more than I burned at one point. people think with IF they dont have to count calories and they will magically lose weight because "insulin" I have done fasting all my life like I said,and at one point I thought not fasting would "boost my metabolism,because of eating breakfast" it didnt make any difference then either.I still fast and am maintaining my weight BUT I track my calories and weigh everything otherwise I would gain weight again.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new here and have an IF question. I like to eat breakfast (2 eggs, spinach, black beans) within a hour of getting up, before work. Most of the people I know doing IF fasting skip breakfast and eat 12-8. Has anyone had success eating in the morning and stopping at 4 or 5 PM? (I have a about 40 lbs to lose).

I also like to eat within an hour or so of getting up in the morning, so I have an early dinner and stop eating for the day. This 16/8 IF schedule has worked well to help me maintain a small calorie deficit for over two years, allowing me to lose the stubborn final 10 pounds of my original 70 pound loss plus a few extra pounds for good measure. If eating an early dinner works for you, that might be a useful strategy. Good luck!
  • jonathanthewlis
    jonathanthewlis Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What happened to your tat in the second pic?
    mmapags wrote: »

Removed? Photoshop? Inquiring minds want to know . ;)

OP, it sounds like you feel persecuted about IF for some reason. Most folks recognize IF works for some as a means to control calories. Some of the more outlandish claims for it are not proven as is evidence by psulemon's post above.

I've seen a couple of posts in this thread about people losing large amounts of weight on a short time. That isn't necessarily a good thing (unless you started morbidly obese). Losing 20lbs or more in a 2 month period likely leads to a good amount of lean body mass loss, including muscle mass and bone mass. Ideally. one wants to lose primarily fat and preserve lean body mass. There is a max rate at which the body will oxidize fat before it cannibalizes muscle and other tissue. Thus the argument against high deficits and rapid loss.

One picture is taken in the mirror the other is a selfie different arms. Sorry to dissapoint your hopes for suggesting my progress Is fake
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Removed? Photoshop? Inquiring minds want to know . ;)

OP, it sounds like you feel persecuted about IF for some reason. Most folks recognize IF works for some as a means to control calories. Some of the more outlandish claims for it are not proven as is evidence by psulemon's post above.

I've seen a couple of posts in this thread about people losing large amounts of weight on a short time. That isn't necessarily a good thing (unless you started morbidly obese). Losing 20lbs or more in a 2 month period likely leads to a good amount of lean body mass loss, including muscle mass and bone mass. Ideally. one wants to lose primarily fat and preserve lean body mass. There is a max rate at which the body will oxidize fat before it cannibalizes muscle and other tissue. Thus the argument against high deficits and rapid loss.

One picture is taken in the mirror the other is a selfie different arms. Sorry to dissapoint your hopes for suggesting my progress Is fake

Didn't suggest anything. Asked a couple of questions though. Defensive much?
  • jonathanthewlis
    Options
    Can I be clear, I haven’t at any point said it is the be all and end all. I haven’t said it’s better than any other form of process to follow. Merely highlight why I’ve chosen to do it and it’s worked for me. I didn’t invent IF nor do I benefit in anyway from promoting it, frankly if others benefit or fail in their efforts it doesn’t impact on my own succes. If it helps someone who has struggled or gives someone a new idea brilliant if not 🤷🏻‍♂️.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    trmmuk1 wrote: »
    Personally, I do not recommend Intermittent Fasting as a way to loose weight. While there are so many people claiming that it benefitted them. Long term it is a far from ideal way to loose weight. It is better to improve your diet to one that you can maintain once you reach your goal weight. For e.g. increase you fruits and vegetable intake, water intake, cut out processed food and sugar from sodas, and sugary drinks, and reduce carbohydrate and increase protein intake. Also, you want to commit to exercise - start slow and increase exercise time to 45 minutes to 1 hour daily.
    I tried intermittent fasting and it elevate my blood sugar levels. I would strongly urge you to not try it as a weight loss tool.

I don't fully agree. My wife follows intermittent fasting naturally. She feels sick in the morning if she tries to eat and how much greater compliance when she only eats lunch a small afternoon snack and dinner. When she tried to eat more frequent meals, it just caused her to be more hungry and she gained weight. I definitely agree that one should increase consumption of whole foods and reduce processed foods, as well as, exercise. Cutting carbs is not needs outside of personal preference.
  • jonathanthewlis
    Options
    Personally, I do not recommend Intermittent Fasting as a way to loose weight. While there are so many people claiming that it benefitted them. Long term it is a far from ideal way to loose weight. It is better to improve your diet to one that you can maintain once you reach your goal weight. For e.g. increase you fruits and vegetable intake, water intake, cut out processed food and sugar from sodas, and sugary drinks, and reduce carbohydrate and increase protein intake. Also, you want to commit to exercise - start slow and increase exercise time to 45 minutes to 1 hour daily.
    I tried intermittent fasting and it elevate my blood sugar levels. I would strongly urge you to not try it as a weight loss tool.

I didn’t suggest using it as a weight loss tool....and highlighted I lost weight through a caloric deficit and exercise, it has however worked for a lot of people as it hasn’t for others.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I don't fully agree. My wife follows intermittent fasting naturally. She feels sick in the morning if she tries to eat and how much greater compliance when she only eats lunch a small afternoon snack and dinner. When she tried to eat more frequent meals, it just caused her to be more hungry and she gained weight. I definitely agree that one should increase consumption of whole foods and reduce processed foods, as well as, exercise. Cutting carbs is not needs outside of personal preference.

Im like your wife I feel sick in the am if I eat too. and yes for me the greater the amount of meals the hungrier I am. I have had no health issues doing it the last 34 years.I didnt do it then for weight loss and I dont do it now for weight loss.I think the person saying not to use it for weight loss doesnt get what IF really entails as for blood sugar levels elevating I have never heard of that happening with fasting. not saying it might not cause an issue but .
  • Help119
    Help119 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like IF because it prevents me from snacking. But for weight loss I haven't seen results. What am I doing wrong? I'm 5 ft 4" and weigh 125 lbs. After 8 weeks of IF, no weight loss. I weigh myself at the same time on the same scale every 10 days. I bike 4 days a week for 25 to 35 mins. My food is mainly vegie and protein with beans or rice. Any tips are appreciated to help me reach my goal of 119 lbs.
  • luccianaff
    luccianaff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It works! In two months I've lost 7 lbs but also gained muscle. That a with me being a small person with not a lot to lose. I started out 16/8 now I do 20/4 almost every day and that's just because my body is happy with that time.
  • bosskaren
    bosskaren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Starting 16/8 today! I've counted macros for a long time, but I find it very difficult to do when I can't control my surroundings and meal prep (traveling, celebrations, etc.). Starting with IF today along with counting macros, then IF solely when I can't be in total control. Wish me luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Good luck :drinker:
  • hernanda2017
    hernanda2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I struggled to lose 30 lbs for years and with IF I am only 10 lbs away from reaching my goal. I couldn't be happier and it works for me. I fast during the week as best I can and feed on the weekends. Don't feel deprived when I go out with friends on weekends
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Options
    IF works for me.