Sides for fish?

What are some good sides for fish besides rice or broccoli? That's how I usually make it. Im making tilapia tonight.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    One of my favorites is broiled brussels sprouts lightly drizzled with olive oil. Just about any vegetable pairs well with fish, IMO. Cauliflower, spinach, peas/carrots, various frozen veggie blends, okra, etc.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Sweet potato wedges, stuffed mushrooms, roasted veg.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    The British have traditionally done Fish and Chips meals. Chicken and Chips is also quite common in other places. You could serve Cole Slaw with it for a change.
  • DanR_85
    DanR_85 Posts: 60 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    The British have traditionally done Fish and Chips meals. Chicken and Chips is also quite common in other places. You could serve Cole Slaw with it for a change.

Yes, as another Brit this was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. Bare in mind, we call them chips - Americans call them fries.

So, for a treat, fish and fries with coleslaw...otherwise, as mentioned above, sweet potatoes, mushrooms or any roasted veg really. If that's too bland, consider a low fat sauce to garnish the vegetables,
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    For tilapia or any other white fish-
    mango salsa, black beans and avocado

For salmon-
    roasted red potato with rosemary and garlic, sautéed spinach with pine nuts

• beer_buzz
    beer_buzz Posts: 4 Member
    White wine ;)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member

New potatoes, green beans and asparagus.

Fish, chips, and mushy peas, for the win.
    beer_buzz wrote: »
    White wine ;)
    How can you say that with a name like beer_buzz :D your first post too! (Jk)

Cheers, h.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2018
    What are some good sides for fish besides rice or broccoli? That's how I usually make it. Im making tilapia tonight.

1) zucchini noodles 2) a salad of tomato, cucumber and red onion 3) grilled asparagus
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    One of my favorites is broiled brussels sprouts lightly drizzled with olive oil. Just about any vegetable pairs well with fish, IMO. Cauliflower, spinach, peas/carrots, various frozen veggie blends, okra, etc.

Ditto.

I especially like lentils, or lentils and spinach (together) as a side for fish. Okra and limas together, because that's how Mom did it. :smile: Asparagus is another good one.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member

Ditto.

I especially like lentils, or lentils and spinach (together) as a side for fish. Okra and limas together, because that's how Mom did it. :smile: Asparagus is another good one.

How do you make the lentils?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    DebTavares wrote: »

Ditto.

How do you make the lentils?

Simmer them in water until tender; they don't need presoaking and it doesn't take all that long (the directions are usually on the package). If I want to get fancy, I toss a bay leaf in the water, maybe a little chopped garlic or onion or carrot or celery. Toss the spinach in for a few minutes near the end so it wilts down. Drain. Hot sauce would not be amiss, although I wouldn't ordinarily add it if I was serving it with fish. Alongside fish, I prefer a freshly made lemon-pepper-olive oil dressing. You could do kale instead of spinach, but I would put that in nearer the beginning of the cooking (but it all depends on how you like your kale).
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Make fish tonight. Served it with a side of roasted squash and a simple green salad.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Quinoa, peas, pasta, gnocchi.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Samphire. Though I'm not sure it's in season anywhere at the moment.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Last time I did white fish I had it with green veg and spiralised sweet potato (roasted with a few sprays of oil, cayenne, paprika, s+p). I made the sweet potato into a little nest and popped an egg yolk in there for the last 5-7 mins of roasting which was delicious but it's still good without!

Gnocchi and pesto is another fave of mine but it can be a bit heavy on the calories.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    The brits in this thread already suggested what I was thinking - chips! (fries)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Tonight I did roasted brussel sprouts, pumpkin, cauliflower and broccoli with my fish. Just drizzled them with a bit of olive oil, pepper and nutmeg. The other members of the family who aren't as keen had roasted potato/sweet potato (a healthier version of fish and chips) and some steamed peas, carrot and corn.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    braised fennel is great with fish. Also oven chips (fries) made with celeriac instead of potato
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    smolmaus wrote: »
    spiralised sweet potato (roasted with a few sprays of oil, cayenne, paprika, s+p). I made the sweet potato into a little nest and popped an egg yolk in there for the last 5-7 mins of roasting

Imma stealing that one...

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Depends how healthy you want it...

Now that it's summer, I love corn risotto. It works great with any protein but if you mix in some lump crab meat it will play with the fish really well. Serious Eats just posted a nice recipe for one last week (if you want to add crab, just fold it in with the corn at the end).