Keto

Replies

• lsutigerscage
    lsutigerscage Posts: 26 Member
    tyrantduck wrote: »
    Hey, I just started keto on 8/11. As of this morning I'm down 7.6lbs, all water weight. I'm taking in at least 120oz of water (or Powerade Zero) every day. Keeping my carb count under 20g has been my goal but if I go one or two over I don't stress too much. I've been at a calorie deficit every day since I started and have either hit or come very close to hitting my fat/protein macros. Day 1 I had bulletproof coffee in the morning and didn't really eat at all again until dinner, I did try making half a zucchini into zoodles but I really had no energy so I just tossed a small amount of avocado ranch dressing on it and picked at it for a bit. Day 2 I had a bit more energy and could feel that my joints were less inflamed from fluid retention. Yesterday I had a TON of energy until about 2pm then hit a wall. This morning I'm still feeling a bit physically exhausted but I'm still sticking to it. If anyone on this post wants to be my keto accountability buddy, I'd love to have you around.

Your lack of energy could be because you are depleting your sodium levels. Whenever you start, you lose all of that water weight by urinating often. Frequent urination will also flush out sodium. You will need more than just the Powerade. Try to keep your sodium intake at 3-5k daily. Especially in the beginning. One of the ways I do this is by heating water and adding a buillon cube and drinking that once or twice a day depending on how I'm feeling. By increasing your sodium, you should feel an immediate boost in energy.
  • rachellep103
    rachellep103 Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you for sharing your experience outside of weight loss. I was recently recommended a keto style "diet" for the other health benefits. And have been curious of the feedback from others as to whether or not such an extreme lifestyle change would be worth it the effort.
  • julbens
    julbens Posts: 2 Member
    kyliejo83 wrote: »
    I'm trying to track my macros. Is there a setting to show net carbs? At the moment I'm seeing total carbs. So it's throwing my limits out.

I cannot figure this out either!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Keto is not like throwing a switch and done. It takes some time to adapt and you may need to tinker around with the mix of carbs, fat and protein. I felt a bit off or sluggish at times but after a month I feel great. Just do't expect instant results other than the rapid water weight reduction.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,844 Member
    SomeMorr wrote: »
    kyliejo83 wrote: »
    I'm trying to track my macros. Is there a setting to show net carbs? At the moment I'm seeing total carbs. So it's throwing my limits out.

The best way to do this is change your macros to show Carbs and then Fiber.. You will have to mentally subtract the fiber from the total carbs but it is the easiest way to do it on the non-premium version.

Premium doesn't show net carbs either. Net carbs are not required on labels in the US, and so this info is not available in either database as a standard.
  • ZeroSugarSte
    ZeroSugarSte Posts: 39 Member
    I've just started...today!! Any help is appreciated guys...particularly foods which can be made to go...like in the car or going to work etc. Thanks
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I've just started...today!! Any help is appreciated guys...particularly foods which can be made to go...like in the car or going to work etc. Thanks

I never really thought about this but carb less foods seem like they are kind of messy and greasy. Its not like a pack of crackers, fries or a burger. I mean I know it is not possible to eat burger without the bun in a car. I suppose celery with cheese or peanut butter or beef jerky could work. I am a eat breakfast and dinner at the house person and lunch (packed from home) at my desk.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2018
    rsclause wrote: »

I never really thought about this but carb less foods seem like they are kind of messy and greasy. Its not like a pack of crackers, fries or a burger. I mean I know it is not possible to eat burger without the bun in a car. I suppose celery with cheese or peanut butter or beef jerky could work. I am a eat breakfast and dinner at the house person and lunch (packed from home) at my desk.

I would go with something like energy bars made with almond flour - here's some recipes. Note: I'm not keto but since I have celiac disease, some of the keto bakery-type foods work for me.

eta: https://paleokitchen.tv/blog/easy-ketogenic-energy-bars-paleo-high-fat-low-carb/
  • gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    tyrantduck wrote: »
    Hey, I just started keto on 8/11. As of this morning I'm down 7.6lbs, all water weight. I'm taking in at least 120oz of water (or Powerade Zero) every day. Keeping my carb count under 20g has been my goal but if I go one or two over I don't stress too much. I've been at a calorie deficit every day since I started and have either hit or come very close to hitting my fat/protein macros. Day 1 I had bulletproof coffee in the morning and didn't really eat at all again until dinner, I did try making half a zucchini into zoodles but I really had no energy so I just tossed a small amount of avocado ranch dressing on it and picked at it for a bit. Day 2 I had a bit more energy and could feel that my joints were less inflamed from fluid retention. Yesterday I had a TON of energy until about 2pm then hit a wall. This morning I'm still feeling a bit physically exhausted but I'm still sticking to it. If anyone on this post wants to be my keto accountability buddy, I'd love to have you around.

Feel free to send me a friend request
  • gcooper7

For me I eat bacon and eggs, I'll go to fast food joints like burger King and get a burger MI us the bun. It's more simple than Complicated to me because I don't try to over think it. Feel. Free to friend request me
  • gcooper7
    rsclause wrote: »

Careful with beef jerkey.
  • gcooper7
    I have been on Keto for 3 months with a few slip ups but am down 30lbs.

That's awesome
  • gcooper7
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    gcooper7 wrote: »
    Update: I am down 50 lbs since I started back in February. I have not counted any calories besides I a few times. I eat until I am full and if I'm hungry I eat again. I feel more energetic and don't crave anything I used to crave. Definitely going to keep this up.

Congrats! :)

Are you planning to continue once you hit maintenance too? Some do, some don't.

I plan on continuing even after hitting my goal
  • gcooper7
    Thank you for sharing your experience outside of weight loss. I was recently recommended a keto style "diet" for the other health benefits. And have been curious of the feedback from others as to whether or not such an extreme lifestyle change would be worth it the effort.

Perso ally I feel so much better on keto. I feel. More alert and energetic and aside from the weight loss benefits my over all health has been so much better
  • gcooper7
    Anyone else doing the Keto diet? How are your results if you are?

I noticed someone else linked the LC group for you to check out. There's also a keto group. Here's the link to that one: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

I've lost 92 lbs with Keto/IF in 6.3 months: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10678145/80-pounds-lost-in-21-weeks/p1

Thanks!!!!!!
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    I have being doing it for about 4 months. I also do IF as well. I love it. When I incorporated IF I really started seeing the benefits of keto and IF. Not only have I lost weight but it has taken the pain away in my knee and I have no inflammation.
  • gcooper7
    jessykab74 wrote: »
    I have being doing it for about 4 months. I also do IF as well. I love it. When I incorporated IF I really started seeing the benefits of keto and IF. Not only have I lost weight but it has taken the pain away in my knee and I have no inflammation.

That's great. I've started doing intermittent fasting as well. Mostly without trying. I don't get hungry as much as I used to.
  • paulag1955
    paulag1955 Posts: 19 Member
    Update: I am down 50 lbs since I started back in February. I have not counted any calories besides I a few times. I eat until I am full and if I'm hungry I eat again. I feel more energetic and don't crave anything I used to crave. Definitely going to keep this up.

Awesome results. I'm down 51 pounds, but it's taken me just over a year to do it. Hoping to lose 10 or so more.