August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,884 Member
    I'm curious. Does anyone else have an active hobby besides running? I play tennis whenever weather permits and I can find someone to play with. I find that is hindering me from achieving my mileage goal for the month. If I become serious about training for a race, like the 10K I am planning next year, will I need to drop tennis? I sure hope not, but not sure how to do both with only 24 hours in a day. LOL
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I'm curious. Does anyone else have an active hobby besides running? I play tennis whenever weather permits and I can find someone to play with. I find that is hindering me from achieving my mileage goal for the month. If I become serious about training for a race, like the 10K I am planning next year, will I need to drop tennis? I sure hope not, but not sure how to do both with only 24 hours in a day. LOL

I weight lift when I'm not training for a marathon. I think anything under a marathon you have more time for other activities. I think other people can do more than me during marathon training too. Running + work take all my spoons.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited August 2018
    Tried to take the Myers Briggs and the Pottermore tests but I refuse to sign up for anything (or give my email to random websites), what does that say about me??

That is what 10 minute email is for :)
    https://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    re other hobbies: I do a lot of crafts, quilting, cross stitch, knitting. Keeps my fingers occupied while I watch tv lol.

So I didnt get out this morning because the youngest daughter was up every 30 minutes or so until 2am - I decided sleep was more important. But I gought my running gear to work and went for a 5k run at lunch time. Lefty ankle which has given me so much grief the last 2 weeks is currently fine - though its only been an hour since the run. Righty however was feeling very tight during the run and a little achey after. I tried giving it massage but it wasn't sore to touch, so I iced it and will see how it feels tonight.

I was going to wait for a sale before buying new shoes, but I think I just have to bite the bullet and buy them anyway. sigh.
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    edited August 2018

I do yoga daily but I consider that more of a way of life than hobby. Definitely helps with the running. I also lift weights. My goal is three times a week for that but I'm lucky if I get two sessions in. If only I were independently wealthy. Working and being a responsible adult could kick rocks then I could stretch, run and lift heavy *kitten* to my heart's content. I also knit, read, and am slowly writing fiction that will probably never see anywhere other than my laptop screen Dreams......
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I will not be getting out to run today because the air quality is so bad. If it's <7 tomorrow morning I'll run in the morning. If not, gym and treadmill after work.

Ugh. I hope it isn't too smoky on Sunday. The actual weather looks perfect for a half marathon.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member

I love all things outdoors and although I work 5 12 hour days during the week, my weekends are usually spent kayaking, range time(as I like to stay proficient with my marksmanship), bowling every Saturday night(not league), I read a lot(think book a day, sometimes more), hiking, bicycling(trail and road), and fishing. Anything that keeps me off my butt and having fun(and is legal) I am usually up for trying at least once.😎
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Active hobby? Not really. Running and lifting are not hobbies to me. They are essential. My hobbies are reading, fish keeping, aquascaping, hard rock/metal concerts, and extreme deal hunting. Not much time for any of them right now, though.

I was sorted into Slytherin as well.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member

I think like anything it’s all about finding a balance. There are only so many hours in the day, and your body needs to be able to recover in between activities. So maybe you can’t do everything, but you can do some things. I started lifting weights over the winter and I love it, like, want to hire a trainer and look into powerlifting competitions love it. But when I started running again this spring, I realized that I wasnt giving my body enough time to recover, which meant both activities suffered. I decided to focus on running now while continuing to lift twice a week, and will shift my emphasis back to lifting when the weather turns bad.

In your case, I think you just need to figure out what your priorities are, what time you have available, and what goals fit within those constraints. Maybe if you split your time between running and tennis you won’t be able to put in the hours/miles to run a 10k under an hour, but I bet you could build your base up enough to finish the race.