I’ve been dieting for 1 month with no results

I’m doing it right. Watching calories, getting enough exercise! I’m 53, take a thyroid pill every day and have recently had it checked. Any ideas???

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Weighing your food?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Are you tracking all your food? Weighing solids and semi-solids, measuring liquids, and using accurate database entries?
  • dana6332
    dana6332 Posts: 5 Member
    Yes! It’s crazy!!

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,060 Member
    Are you hypo or hyperthyroid?
  • amwiggler
    amwiggler Posts: 428 Member
    54, thyroid pill every morning. Have gained @ 30 going through menopause and having a very tough time losing it, but I cannot deny that after tracking religiously everything that goes in and everything that goes out (and weighing, and researching and double-checking), my experience is that there is a correlation between my net calories and what the scale says. 9 weeks in and I’m down 6.3, which is so discouraging, but if I stick with it for 9 more weeks, who knows...I could be down another pound. That’s just what it is, slow or no.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    hhorst4910 wrote: »
    54, thyroid pill every morning. Have gained @ 30 going through menopause and having a very tough time losing it, but I cannot deny that after tracking religiously everything that goes in and everything that goes out (and weighing, and researching and double-checking), my experience is that there is a correlation between my net calories and what the scale says. 9 weeks in and I’m down 6.3, which is so discouraging, but if I stick with it for 9 more weeks, who knows...I could be down another pound. That’s just what it is, slow or no.

How is better than 6 pounds in 9 weeks discouraging? That's better than 1/2 a pound a week and a perfectly acceptable rate of loss.
  • amwiggler
    amwiggler Posts: 428 Member
    My point is “slow or no” - when I was younger, there wasn’t as much to lose and whatever I wanted to lose came off easily. Going to the thread start “No Results”, my strong recommendation is to go back to the food diary - the answer really is there. If you are following calories to result in a loss, you will lose. It takes longer when you are older. The “discouragement” is a mind game we have to get past.
  • KatePond4
    KatePond4 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2018
    Have hypothyroidism, take pill every morning, and no results, even with normal levels... Started doing research and found that normal levels doesn't mean the metabolism is strong enough to burn to lose, is just able to maintain... Thus no weight loss.
    Last week I started taking a Thyroid Support (I can give recommendations) supplement and coconut oil in the morning with my thyroid pill AND I CAN FEEL THE DIFFERENCE! My tummy is growling and I've noticed my energy level is way up (no coffee needed). I also cut out the foods that "wreck" your thyroid production (raw cruciferous veggies, spinach, soy, etc...). I used to eat so much raw broccoli, spinach, kale, brussel sprouts...they are healthy for calories but not for hypothyroidism.
    My only hurtle now is sleep- constantly battling bouts of insomnia and unrested sleep-if anyone has recommendation.
  • jbauer0010
    jbauer0010 Posts: 12 Member
    Have you tried the hypnotherapy for deep sleep recordings? I respond well to a guy on youtube named Michael Seeley (?) I think. I tend to go straight from a state of trance to deep sleep according to my monitor. Also the best investment I made was my heart rate monitor. I couldn't afford a fitbit but there are plenty of knock offs on Amazon that do almost the same thing for under 40 bucks.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    I've gained over 10 lbs since being diagnosed and treated for hypothyroid (Hashimotos) a year ago. I have eaten at a deficit for most of that time, exercised 5-6 days a week, lifting and cardio, weigh and measure food, etc. But still I gain whilst at a deficit. I was reading recently about it, and it seems that even with treatment some people are just not able to lose. The balance is so delicate that eating too little, or exercising too much can even have the opposite effect for some.

Recently I've been maintaining, even though theoretically I am eating at a 300-400 calorie deficit most days. I guess theoretically I could lose, but it would mean taking my calories to around 1100 a day total. I've not tried going that low, since that seems to be dangerous too. (I currently weigh 152 lbs and I'm maintaining on 1450ish calories a day. I work out for an hour most days. There is no logic in those numbers.)
  • AyameShimitsu
    AyameShimitsu Posts: 25 Member
    I have hypothyroidism as well. It does become harder to lose weight. At your age, losing weight will be more difficult so half a pound a week is pretty good. Here are a few tips that may help you further.

Drink water and/or green tea. Both will assist in speeding up your metabolism naturally. If you need to drink try to choose water over other substances.

Make sure to through in some high intensity interval training a couple times a week. It will improve overall fitness and make your metabolism higher for about 48 hours.

Switch up your workout routine after a month or two. Your body will get used to workouts if you do them enough. Switching it up will through your body in a state of confusion and help you avoid plateaus.

Look into speaking to a dietician. Some health insurance will cover this. They may help you get a better idea of what you’re eating, what you should be eating, and give better tips better suited for you and your lifestyle.

Log everything! From what you eat to condiments to cooking oils or butter. Especially what you drink. A lot of calories can be added from what you drink.

Look into a heart rate or activity monitor. They may give you a better idea of how many calories you’re burning during your exercises and some come with apps to help guide your workouts.

Lastly, make sure you get the right amount of sleep. Sleeping helps your body recover and is proven to help when it comes to weight loss.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    vnhn050lj9f9.jpg