Weight Loss Plateau Linked to Less Water?

Hi all,

I have seemed to hit a bit of a plateau over the previous couple of weeks, from loosing around 2lbs a week regularly since January to now sticking around 11 stone (sometimes 11.2 and the lowest being 10.13) I have looked to review any changes over the past couple of weeks.

I have upped my exercise so I am doing a 20/25 minute HIIT session in the morning straight after I get up before breakfast, I go for a 50 minute walk at a brisk pace at lunchtime after I have eaten my lunch and then after dinner and before bed I am doing 20 minutes of strength training (core work and lifting).

This increase from just walking seems to have stalled my weight loss which I appreciate maybe an increase in muscle but the other thing I noticed was my water intake is a lot less, this is mainly down to the weather changing and rather than water I'm drinking more black coffee or green tea but could this be a reason, does drinking 8 glasses of water contribute to weight loss? Or do you think it is entirely down to the increase in exercise? I have given an example of a typical day for me below:

6:40am HIIT workout 25 minutes
7am Porridge and a yogurt for breakfast with a green tea
9am Black Coffee
10am Snack of blueberries / strawberries and rice cakes with a black coffee
12pm Lunch chicken breast, spinach, tomato, cucumber with a black coffee
1pm Brisk walk - 4.5/5km at a brisk pace
2pm Green Tea
4pm Green Tea
6pm Dinner of Chicken (or some form of meat), vegetables and a yogurt
8pm Green Tea
10pm Strength workout 20 minutes
11pm Bed

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    It could be anything, but I do think drinking more water will keep you more satisfied and flush things out. Drinking it for me is more of a behavioral thing--I'm "in the zone," drinking my water, just doing all the things I need to do to stay on point.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You have been doing this for a while and say you have been losing 2 pounds per week up until plateauing. Just wondering how accurately you are weighing your food? Assuming you have been tracking foods accurately, it’s only been a couple of weeks, so I would guess you just need to be patient, give it more time. The liquids (water, green tea, coffee) are probably not the cause.
  • 6raham
    6raham Posts: 147 Member
    Thanks all, just to answer some of your points:

1. Measurements are taken with a scale so I know exactly what I am eating (unless it is something like 1 tomato then I use MFP's option of 1 tomato).
    2. No the muscle gain is what I would consider being built from strength training every evening, not cardio work done in the morning and during the day.
    3. Is it worth noting with every green tea log I put a log of water down too so I can ensure the accuracy in the amount of water I am having?
    4. No I dont think the coffee, green tea is the cause as such but whether an increase to 8 glasses plus the amount I already drink would help.

I very, very, very rarely go over my sodium intake but with an increase in exercise do you think that is the cause?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    May I just clarify- you've been consistently losing 2 lbs/week since January? And are currently about 154 lbs? (maybe I'm not converting it right).

2 lbs/week is only for those who are very obese. Assuming you even have anything left to lose, you should not expect, nor pursue, anything greater than .5 lb/week. Most people find the final 10 lbs of weight loss painfully slow and it requires real precision and consistency with your calorie counting.

Have you had a diet break in all this time? You really should have one, as you have been at this many months and your rate of loss has been very aggressive.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10481830/the-diet-break/p1
  • 6raham
    try2again wrote: »
    May I just clarify- you've been consistently losing 2 lbs/week since January? And are currently about 154 lbs? (maybe I'm not converting it right).

2 lbs/week is only for those who are very obese. Assuming you even have anything left to lose, you should not expect, nor pursue, anything greater than .5 lb/week. Most people find the final 10 lbs of weight loss painfully slow and it requires real precision and consistency with your calorie counting.

Have you had a diet break in all this time? You really should have one, as you have been at this many months and your rate of loss has been very aggressive.

Yes, so in January I was 17stone 4lbs, my current weight is 10stone 13lbs. The start of my diet was quicker so my calculation of 2lbs per week is slightly out but Ive lost 89lbs so far. My GW is 10stone 7lbs but the last 7lbs like you say has been the hardest.

No I havent had a diet break as such, maybe apart from a weekend on my stag do but I still kept track of calories and went over my diet intake by 2000 in a day but that was it.
  • 6raham
    6raham wrote: »

Yes, so in January I was 17stone 4lbs, my current weight is 10stone 13lbs. The start of my diet was quicker so my calculation of 2lbs per week is slightly out but Ive lost 89lbs so far. My GW is 10stone 7lbs but the last 7lbs like you say has been the hardest.

No I havent had a diet break as such, maybe apart from a weekend on my stag do but I still kept track of calories and went over my diet intake by 2000 in a day but that was it.

So that's 89 lbs in about 7 months time? That's averaging more like 3 lbs/week (I understand the rate was greater in the beginning). There's nothing to be done about it now, but you've been putting your body under a tremendous amount of stress and have likely cost yourself a lot of lean muscle mass. Please read that link about diet breaks and consider eating at maintenance for a while (not just a day or 2) to give your body a chance to recover.

Just an FYI for others who come along and wonder what the concern is:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

Just reading through it now, thanks
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    6raham wrote: »

I am not even sure how it is possible you have maintained a 1500 calorie deficit for so long from that starting weight. You have to be eating a very low calorie diet. That is pretty reckless.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Since you just increased your workouts that is the likely culprit as you retain water when increasing exercise.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Congrats on your progress to date man! As per the above the last last few kg / lbs is always the hardest.
    Stay the course with your consistent approach, make a few tweaks then assess and log accuratley.
    Dont forget adequate sleep.
    Good luck mate.
  • 6raham
    Congrats on your progress to date man! As per the above the last last few kg / lbs is always the hardest.
    Stay the course with your consistent approach, make a few tweaks then assess and log accuratley.
    Dont forget adequate sleep.
    Good luck mate.

Thank you
  • phoebe1975
    phoebe1975 Posts: 55 Member
    Wow- your weight loss so far is impressive and inspiring! You should feel very proud of yourself!! I know from experience that those last few pounds are definitely the hardest to take off so just keep at it and don't expect a lb a week or even 1/2 lb a week- it might even be like a lb a month...but it will come off eventually!!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    I've been around enough dieting in my life to know that pretty much everybody hits plateaus, and there isn't necessarily a cause that you can correct. Just hang in there, do the right stuff, and weight loss will resume.