WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2018

Replies

• lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Lynn - Thank you - it's been a struggle - might post my before and after (or in between) the before and where I am at this point in time I'm beginning to think that my body has decided to hover around 160lbs. I want my BMI to be within the 'normal' scale.

Lanette - I love avocados, too, are you saying you also eat the skin? I eat a baked potato with the skin on it, Louis got me started on that. Now that he wears dentures, he can't chew them, so I get them to go into my 'doggie bag'.

Just made reservations for trip to beach. We're going to let Trey keep Cracker. The spa has gone up to $25 a day and we'll be gone from a Friday through 2 weekends. I just hope that Luna (Trey's lab) doesn't get irritated about her and grabs her by the neck. If they let that stupid Boston Bull terrier out, no telling where they might end up. I think Luna takes he exploring, hoping he will get lost and die. I worry about Cracker; but, Trey loves her and our cat, so I don't think we'll have to worry. He'll let her get out of her crate and stay outside; then he will bring her in at some point before they go to bed. I just don't want him to put her up too early in the crate; and, I definitely do not want her to stay outside at night. Too many things go bump in the dark and she has a squealy bark when she is afraid.

Lenora
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,750 Member
    Barbara “coaster” do you have room for an RV until after Labor Day?

RV Rita
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,283 Member
    edited August 2018
    Katla - thanks for the idea, I checked Google yes there are a lot of food pyramids as you described. I see the old USDA food pyramid has been replaced with "My pyramid" -- which is very confusing. They are still emphasizing low fat and high carbs from what I can tell. And the "My Plate" focuses on high carbs as well. Fat the enemy.

Heather
    - I don't think I've ever seen your "before" picture. Your "after" photo is a testament to your healthy eating and exercise, you are in great shape! It's interesting that many of us were led to strength training because of physical injury-the need to have stronger muscles. With me, it was terrible bursitis in my knee. The doc offered me no suggestions so one of you mentioned strength training and the light bulb went on.

Barbie - today is MRI day. Thank goodness you can have the test in bliss, lol. Hoping for an answer to your pain and an easy fix. Your before and after photos are also fabulous.

Rye - glad you finally made it to Chicago by the way! Hope all continues to go well with family. Other than O'Hare I haven't been downtown in oh, maybe 40 years, lol. Used to live 150 miles from there so it wasn't unusual to bop up with a girlfriend for a day.

Running out of ideas on what to cook for DH as usual, so we've settled on getting a pizza. I reckon he'll get a couple meals and that's it - supper tonight and tomorrow. I can eat most of the toppings (he likes Hawaiian), all I have to do is leave the crust and pineapple alone and that's not a problem. Will still have my huge salad with avocado.

KarenNY, give me the word and I'll have a big salad ready for you! Hope your DH is on the mend. That's one of the things I dislike about flying... all those new germs. :s

Our pupster Rosie gets her yearly vet visit this morning. Rabies vaccination (they've found a rabid bat just a few miles from us plus it's the law in this state) and something else. I am going to inquire about running a titer next year instead of automatically giving vaccination boosters every year. There are vets in the area which are OK with it. Might be more expensive but from an overall health standpoint it might be better right now, will see what he says.

OK ladies, that's a wrap!

Lanette
    Cool and refreshing SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    Lynn - Thank you - it's been a struggle - might post my before and after (or in between) the before and where I am at this point in time I'm beginning to think that my body has decided to hover around 160lbs. I want my BMI to be within the 'normal' scale.

Lanette - I love avocados, too, are you saying you also eat the skin? I eat a baked potato with the skin on it, Louis got me started on that. Now that he wears dentures, he can't chew them, so I get them to go into my 'doggie bag'.

Lenora

Lenora - I don't eat avocado skin OR the seed (tho I guess it's edible?? NO thanks!). I just peel it and chunk up the flesh. I love potato skins too. Some folks spoon out the tater part and just eat the skins. Sounds yummy!

Lanette

• brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Katla -

Our pupster Rosie gets her yearly vet visit this morning. Rabies vaccination (they've found a rabid bat just a few miles from us plus it's the law in this state) and something else. I am going to inquire about running a titer next year instead of automatically giving vaccination boosters every year. There are vets in the area which are OK with it. Might be more expensive but from an overall health standpoint it might be better right now, will see what he says.

Lanette

I am curious about titers as well. My 6 month old pup had to just get a booster one month after she got her regular one because she found a bat and decided to play with it before i knew what was happening. Vet suggested booster asap and sent bat for testing. Was negative so poor Maggie is rabied up big time. Wonder about that decision but too late now.
    Pip - beautiful dog. Golden?
    Lynn in WI

• SophieRosieMom
    edited August 2018
    brennerjlb wrote: »
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Katla -

Lanette

I am curious about titers as well. My 6 month old pup had to just get a booster one month after she got her regular one because she found a bat and decided to play with it before i knew what was happening. Vet suggested booster asap and sent bat for testing. Was negative so poor Maggie is rabied up big time. Wonder about that decision but too late now.
    Pip - beautiful dog. Golden?
    Lynn in WI

Lynn - We are back from the vet. Found out the Rabies law in WA state changed so that if your dog goes like 5 days over the "due date" for rabies revaccination, the dog can only get a one year one and not a three-year! I was miffed - I told them had I known I certainly could have brought her in a month ago to get the three year shot. It wasn't that expensive, just the principle of the thing. Anyhow seems like it's $45 to walk in the vet's door anymore. And they are good at "do you want us to do a baseline blood test?" He has a new building and a very large staff so I'm sure he needs all the income he can get, lol.

Also he mentioned the one-year shot just kind of in passing when I said "she's OK for three years now" and he told me no. Had I not said anything, I don't think I would have been the wiser.

I asked about titers. He said the main drawback is expense, it runs around $50 for each disease they are checking antibodies for so can get up to $250 or $300 pretty quickly compared to the cost of the vaccine which is a fraction of that.

In some states, pet owners are allowed to buy the rabies vaccine and inoculate their own pets. Looks like the Rabies vaccine makers were successful at lobbying in WA State this spring - I wonder what next.

Lanette
    Hopefully done with the vet for a long time in sunny and cool WA State
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    S

Trip so far: Very good in between some travel almost disasters. lol

Rye vacationing in Minoqua WI
    I just saw they shut down part of 43 due to torrential rain. you had a long drive today. I live in East Central WI - GO Packers! beautiful day here - a bit humid, but it'll do. Minoqua is great - a bit busy on weekends. Be sure to check out some of the local artisan shops. Probably some better cheese up there too (: Enjoy the lake!
    Lynn in WI

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    I am in Washington State also, east of Seattle near the foothills of the Cascades. Thankfully the worst of the smoke is gone today. We have clouds instead! 😪
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Welcome Trucker 743 ~ This is a very supportive group of ladies! Please let us know what you would like to be called when you post.

Carol in GA
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Welcome Trucker 743 ~ This is a very supportive group of ladies! Please let us know what you would like to be called when you post.

Carol in GA

I usually just use Trucker. There are so very many Sharons in our age bracket!

I'm wondering how I join the group. I did apply to join Women Over 50, but I guess this doesn't make me a part of the month-to-month discussions.

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    You joined by posting. Keep on coming back and you will find us a welcoming group of ladies.
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Hi Trucker and welcome here. You don't actually have to join this group as it is not a closed group, but open to anyone. You can just read and post, nice and easy. You can save the link though, so that it's easy to find the group again. You SAVE by clicking on the little gray star at the top, above the search icon. It will turn gold and then you can click on the gray star at the very very top anytime you want to pop in for a visit.

Barbie, thanks for the before and after pic. You have done amazing at keeping the weight off for such a long time. Did you walk much before, I know you walk a lot now. Did you just change what food you ate, or how much you ate, or did you change your exercise habits too?

It poured with rain all night. I am just heading out in grey duck weather to give everyone breakfast. <3 Wendy
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Hi Ladies

Good weigh in today. I have managed to gain 4 lbs since my low. I’m still 3 lbs below my maintenance range, but back up to a normal BMI range. I’m happy!

Welcome to all the new ladies. Trucker - you joined us just by posting.

Barbie - I hope the MRI went well.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    I know I’ve mentioned it before, but since the topic has come up again I will say I’m very fortunate, my hub will eat whatever I want to make. He just gets a bigger portion than me (most of the time). If I make cauliflower fried rice, I keep half. I love it!!

Okie