I just started CrossFit any advice

I just started last week,took off the training wheels and now I can do the classes on my own.
Any advice on am vs pm?
Is doing it twice a day over kill?
Clothing needed (already ordered cross training shoes)
Thanks!

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    High 5! I joined 5 weeks ago and love it.

I have no real advice. The veterans will for sure be more helpful. But one thing I will tell you is to put every single piece of equipment away! Today I walked in and found myself in the penalty box because apparently Wed. I forgot to put my box away.

30 burpees got me out if the penalty box. Lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    AM or PM doesn't matter...personal preference

IMO twice per day would be overkill...you also need rest days

I just wore whatever I wear to workout in any capacity.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Twice a day is overkill, unless you are doing open gym sessions. But that is more so for someone already in pretty decent shape and knows what they are doing/has programming set up. If you are just starting out, I would definitely not recommend doing open gym on top of a class. Two crossfit classes a day would not be beneficial.

No special clothing required. Just whatever you feel comfortable working out in. You may find you want a few different pairs of shoes (trainers, runners, lifters, etc.) but that is not necessary.

As far as AM vs. PM, that is really personal preference and what works best in your schedule.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Ease into any exercise if you arent used to it.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Don't compromise form for higher weight. Go at your own pace and have fun.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Go hard for one session instead of taking it easy in each of two sessions. My trainer says if I can do a second class in the same day, I’m not working hard enough in the first.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    8ww46q343paz.jpg
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Am or pm doesn’t matter. Whenever you feel best training.

Twice a day is overkill if you are just starting out

Always listen to your coach. Push yourself but not at the expense of good technique. Cheer for the last person. Put your stuff away.

Clothing - whatever you feel comfortable working out in.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I learned this week that CrossFit is like Fight Club: the first rule of CrossFit is don't talk about CrossFit.

My friends who do it say the first rule of Crossfit is to always talk about Crossfit. :D

Haha was gonna say this. How do you know someone does Crossfit? Oh they'll tell you.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Wear short shorts and knee high socks and clap loudly. You got this! #WOT
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    High five here too! Started a few months ago, and loving it...
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great suggestions, am thinking of doing this!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Don't go twice a day. Depending on your history of exercise, I probably wouldn't even go 5x a week as a beginner.
    AM vs PM just matters on what fits your schedule better, one is not better than the other.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Short answer find a new box. After 1 week (assuming 3 1 hour classes) you have not mastered the olympic lifts enough to be allowed to throw around a lot of weight in a class situation. Look for a box that has some form of beginners program or has a good system for scaling your wod to something that is reasonable for you to do.

AM PM just whatever fits your life.

clothes something you can move in.
  • Michael_Collier
    Michael_Collier Posts: 7 Member
    The cross fit didn't go so well. I am/was 30 lbs over weight @ 230. I loved the physical activities however it wore down my body and things hurt so I had to take 2-3 days off and come back (counter productive). It did make me eat heatlh and loved the workouts. I did talk to other cross fit people who were also over weight and I aksed how long they have been doing it "a couple of years" I wa shocked. I am a result type of person. The owner only got involved when I wasn't going to renew the 3 month memberhship. It was $777 for 3 months, ouch! Today 6/2019 I am back on Myfitness Pal and using a Fitbit and down 11 lbs, this is my pace and direction now.