Hungry, but nothing is appetizing.

Replies

• the9thdoctor89
    the9thdoctor89 Posts: 31 Member
    KFC

I don't eat meat.

Are you vegan? More info would be helpful at this point.

Not vegan. Just vegetarian. And, "junk" is junk food, and anything gross like yogurt, whipped cream, jello, mousse, etc.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    KFC

I don't eat meat.

Are you vegan? More info would be helpful at this point.

Not vegan. Just vegetarian. And, "junk" is junk food, and anything gross like yogurt, whipped cream, jello, mousse, etc.
    But to me, that is not junk. It’s a texture thing. Do you like savory over sweet?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    You sound like you're getting sick. Focus on feeling better, ignore diet. Recovery is more important than a day or two of poor eating.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    This happens to me often. I find food to be a bit of a hassle when I'm busy with other things. The hungrier I get, the more my appetite goes away. Sometimes I find that once I make the choice to eat something and start eating, my appetite comes back a bit. Some safe foods that I gravitate towards-

hardboiled eggs
    plain veggie burger patty
    protein bar (Clif Builder Bars are good)
    banana
    peanut butter and jelly sandwich
    hummus sandwich
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    This happens to me sometimes.. but then I think about my goals and it quickly goes away and make sure I am fueling adequately and getting enough protein. Last thing I need is to lose my hard earned muscle, that snaps me out if it really quick.

What about a smoothie.. just add some calories and down it.
  • the9thdoctor89
    I know this isn't a long term solution, but would chugging a meal replacement drink help just to get food out of the way? There are ways to prepare your own meal replacement shake
    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes?sort=favoritesCount

Suggesting meals is pointless because we don't know your preferences, and if you yourself don't know what would sound appealing, how would we? I could personally go for a lentil stuffed eggplant right now.

Are you stressed? Depressed? Anxious? Listlessness? Can you smell foods alright? Are you sick and don't know it? Are you on any medications? Sometimes it's psychological or physical, not necessarily an eating disorder, but there may be issues to work on. I would see a doctor to rule out physical causes, and then schedule for a more thorough psychological assessment.

What you're experiencing is called "anorexia", not to be confused with the eating disorder. It simply means loss of appetite for whatever reason.

I don't do shakes or smoothies of any kind. It's a texture thing. I have no sense of smell, and my sense of taste is seriously impeded. So, texture is big for me. Not sick. And, yes recently my life has kinda gone to the crap hole. Stressed, depressed, and anxious are definitely words I would use. Also, no insurance. So, the doctor is not in the budget unfortunately.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,626 Member
    I get this way sometimes - so hungry I can't think straight. Eat anything to deal with the immediate hunger (apple, muesli bar, a few crackers, peanuts) and you'll find it easier to chose a "real" meal.
  • the9thdoctor89
    edited August 2018
    I know this isn't a long term solution, but would chugging a meal replacement drink help just to get food out of the way? There are ways to prepare your own meal replacement shake
    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes?sort=favoritesCount

Suggesting meals is pointless because we don't know your preferences, and if you yourself don't know what would sound appealing, how would we? I could personally go for a lentil stuffed eggplant right now.

Are you stressed? Depressed? Anxious? Listlessness? Can you smell foods alright? Are you sick and don't know it? Are you on any medications? Sometimes it's psychological or physical, not necessarily an eating disorder, but there may be issues to work on. I would see a doctor to rule out physical causes, and then schedule for a more thorough psychological assessment.

What you're experiencing is called "anorexia", not to be confused with the eating disorder. It simply means loss of appetite for whatever reason.

I don't do shakes or smoothies of any kind. It's a texture thing. I have no sense of smell, and my sense of taste is seriously impeded. So, texture is big for me. Not sick. And, yes recently my life has kinda gone to the crap hole. Stressed, depressed, and anxious are definitely words I would use. Also, no insurance. So, the doctor is not in the budget unfortunately.

No sense of smell or taste explains a lot, and your mental state isn't helping. If shakes are not an option I would sit and make a list of things you can tolerate. Not necessarily like or want, just tolerate enough to get your nutrition in. Open your fridge and pantry and start checking foods on or off the list. Once you have your list, it would be easier to start building your meals around these foods. Add to your list whenever you're at the grocery store and see something you feel you might be able to force eat with less discomfort.

ETA: batch prep helps. You'll only have to worry about food a couple of times a week.

That's actually helpful. I fear that list would be short though. There's not much i can force eat. I've gotten into the habit of only eating things that are satisfying or "make me happy". If that makes sense.
  • the9thdoctor89
    I get this way sometimes - so hungry I can't think straight. Eat anything to deal with the immediate hunger (apple, muesli bar, a few crackers, peanuts) and you'll find it easier to chose a "real" meal.

That's the problem. I can't just "eat anything".

You can, you're just choosing not to.

Maybe, but if I could force eat... I would have done it already.
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    As a grown up, I don't always like what I eat but it has vitamins and crap so I eat it.
    If you physically can't eat, you need a doctor.
    If you physically can't eat, how will shooting down a bunch of advice help you at all lol.