WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2018

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Morning all!

I don’t have to much to say just keeping caught up on posts. Another smoky day here so no walk again today. I can’t believe how much I am missing them.

I fear summer will be gone and we will be into Fall before these fires are under control. There is no rain in the forecast until next Sunday! The families displaced out of their homes, on evacuation notices, and the selfless exhausted firefighters are in my thoughts.

Going to do some cleaning and laundry today, my outside jobs I had planned will have to wait.

Tracey in edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    M thanks for that info. It was very interesting. It makes me think how does your body rid itself of pesticides and heavy metals. Chelation therapy I know is one for the heavy metals, but what about pesticides?

I didn't realize how important respiration is in weight loss.

:heart: Margaret

Do a search on the role of your liver and kidneys. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Loving the before and after pictures ladies. It just is inspiring to see. We can do this together <3

Janetr OKC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,750 Member
    Feeling under the weather today. Not sure but it feels like a cold, not allergies or the smoke. Retaining water too, 3 pounds over 3 days.

Gonna take it easy today. Going back to bed.

RV Rita in Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lanette: google "Fat Friendly Food Pyramid." There are several that will pop right up. :smiley: My vet has never asked for a baseline blood test. It sounds like a scam to me, but I really have no understanding of why it would be done. :grumble:

Sharon aka Trucker743: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Some of the women here have been through the bypass surgery and will likely offer good advice. My advice is simple, post often to get and give encouragement and advice. Start using the MFP calorie tracker now, and plan to continue forever. It is a great way to keep track of your food intake and health. I bought food scales and restaurant style food dishers to measure my portions. I still use them. The food scales were a moderate price and I got them from amazon. The dishers were from a restaurant supply store and were more costly. They look like ice cream scoops. I have three of them, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1/2 cup. They're great for portion control and work well on dry and moist foods. :heart: Click on the blank star at the top of the page. It will turn yellow and afterwards you'll be able to find us easily by clicking on the star on the MFP page. :smiley:

Okie: You are gorgeous! :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I'm glad that you were able to tolerate the MRI and hope that it leads to useful information that will help you feel better. :star:

Michele: What is WLS? :huh:

Machka: Great workout for you and DH! :bigsmile:

Allie: You've had a stressful couple of years. I hope you'll be able to get back on track soon, starting with the basics of logging every bite and swallow. :star:

Margaret: We have switched all of our lights to daylight temperature bulbs. We live in an area known for long dark winters and gray winter days. The change in lights has been transformative. The bulbs we've bought have long lives and are worth every penny we spent on them. I would recommend them to anyone who lives outside the tropical zone. The further north or south of the equator, the more they will help. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Rita: We had better air quality day yesterday, but it is hazy again today. I hope you are able to rest and the air quality improves for all of us. (((HUGS)))

Our homeowner's association is having our parking lot and inner driveways resealed this weekend, We are spending the day at home most of both days. Tomorrow I will sneak out for a riding lesson using a route suggested by a friend. Next week DS, DDIL and our grandson will be here. Yay!!!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • maxandmina
    maxandmina Posts: 2 Member
    Sorry, I think I posted my first message as a reply to someone else's post.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,283 Member
    kevrit wrote: »
    Feeling under the weather today. Not sure but it feels like a cold, not allergies or the smoke. Retaining water too, 3 pounds over 3 days.

RV Rita in Oregon

Rita - Feel better soon!! I think there's something in the smoke that's not in our allergy shots. Last night the smoke started creeping back slightly and I had the worst allergy symptoms I've had in a long time (prior to shots which started this spring). Got a walk in early this morning but see a smoky haze settling in the valley. Headache, runny nose, sneezing and exhaustion=just plain old under the weather also. Amazing it got into the mid 40's this morning tho. Come on fall and rain!

Tracey - do folks in your area have to wear face masks if they are sensitive and out for any length of time? I agree, many things we want to do outside but are restricted now. :s

Katla
    - that "baseline" blood test was pushed when Rosie went in for her spay last year at 6 months, and later last fall when she caught the bug Sophie had - loose stools. Both times I said "NO". After Sophie had her dental last month, they sent home a packet of pain killers - $45 when I later checked the bill. The vet tech said "if she needs them now or sometime later, you'll have them on hand". I asked her how I'd know if Sophie was in pain? She shrugged her shoulders. I really like this vet - thinking he's having some financial challenges with all the staff he has and his new building/surgery center.

Rye - loving those photos! Thank you for sharing them - good you are enjoying yourself. Does it make you want to move back to the Midwest?

Have a good Saturday ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited August 2018
    Just a hint of wildfire smoke scent in the air this morning, breezes bringing down from the north. Thanks, Katla and Lanette ;}

Went to the local farm supply looking for garlic sets, none yet, not til Sept or Oct. Dang it. On the way in saw a dwarf mandarin/clementine tree. Just what I need, a citrus to complete my mini orchard! Just what I don't need, another hole to dig! I waffled and debated, and looked at it closer, the sneaky thing has a tiny fruit on it. You know the rest. It's sitting on the sunniest stump in the side yard waiting to inherit the apple's big pot. Won't try to get it into the ground this year, but will baby it under mini plastic greenhouse through the winter. What WAS I thinking???
    Wasabi-san has not been happy in the breezeway shade so carried her down to the cistern glade. Planted her in the sandy bottom of the creek, surrounded by stones, next to the skunk cabbage, shaded by the ferns. Hoping she'll be fruitful and multiply. Joe really doesn't like me to go down to the cistern glade. He's afraid if my clumsiness doesn't cause me to fall, a bear or cougar will get me. No doubt he's right, but I love it there and feel that if I would walk down (and back UP) every day it could only be good for my aerobic conditioning.
    https://youtu.be/jJVUVGSNbos

Lenora "Will be walking on the beach on the Gulf in a week! YEAH!!!!!" Makes me smile to read it. Safe travels. :)
    Heather, Barbie, Okie, Machka, Janetr, Kay, you all are and continue to be inspirations! Kylia too from her pics earlier this month.
    Wendy Would love to see you in your hobbit getup in my magic secret cistern spot.
    Rita What's your RV like? A big rig couldn't make it up our lane and drive, nor turn around. What route are you taking from NM to the coast? The smoke has driven many who live in the Rogue Valley and N. Calif to the coast so vacancies are scarce. I'll ask the gals at T'ai Chi and Line Dancing to see who has accessible space.
    Katla, which brand daylight bulbs?
    Lanette our vets always recommend baseline bloodwork before any surgery, especially as our dogs age. There is always risk in general anesthesia. As for the pain pills, wish you'd been given the option for fewer, maybe a day or two's worth. Starting to sound like Big Pharm has its tentacles into pet health care too.
    pip Smooch those Pooches!
    Welcome Linda, let us know roughly where you are so we can keep you straight. Welcome WA Trucker and Kathleen in FL!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 15/17, meditate 8/17, walk one more step 7/17, knee exercises 8/17, core 5/12, walk Tumble 8/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0/1, AF 11/17
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Thank you Kayla! You’re too kind.

Pip - I love the big black dog!!!!

I bought a bunch of hatch Chile’s at the farmers market and had them roasted. I need to go peel the burnt flesh off and vacuum seal them for a future batch of pork Chile verde.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    edited August 2018
    Great before and after pictures. I'll be taking some pictures of my family at our Reunion on September 8th.

Today Madison and the girls came over to print out the 1st 12 pages of her history book. Get this, they are supposed to be "free"; but, the college does not want to pay for them. DO WHAT????? She had to download it. I think she is having a bit of 'combined classes' high school/college. Doesn't like the HS teacher; but, not sure how she'll do in history on 'college' level. I told her that one thing she needed to do is read the Constitution and Bill of Rights; especially since she will be voting age in December. I was glad that her Daddy was in the kitchen when I handed it to her. He agreed; and, said that he was going to re-read it, too. That way he could help explain it to her. He is a history buff - especially when it comes to the Civil War. Very political and very strong convictions. Thankfully, when the 3 girls get together, we have agreed that 'politics' will be a subject that we will not get into - at all. I had 'snoozed' middle sister for 2 months in a row. I guess when she started showing up; she had reactivated her FB account. Today is day 4; and, I have not really missed it.

Premier Protein Shakes from GNC are very good. My favorite is strawberry; I do NOT like the Shamrock or Orange Dream Cycle. The Shamrock is a 'vanilla' with mint. I had to put chocolate into mine, to get it to taste more like an Olive Garden mint. Glad I am finished with those two. Shamrock and Orange Dream Cycle are 'specials'. I'll stick with the vanilla, strawberry, and banana. Strawberry is, by far, my favorite.

Looking forward to having my first fast food hamburger for supper tonight.

Lenora
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Sorry Katla, spell check got me and I missed it.

Okie
  • Snowflake1968

RV Rita in Oregon

I somehow ended up watching a tv show last night where it is people buying RV’s. I thought of you as I watched it. Wow they have some nice ones!

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Snowflake1968
    lhscapil wrote: »

RV Rita in Oregon

Rita - Feel better soon!! I think there's something in the smoke that's not in our allergy shots. Last night the smoke started creeping back slightly and I had the worst allergy symptoms I've had in a long time (prior to shots which started this spring). Got a walk in early this morning but see a smoky haze settling in the valley. Headache, runny nose, sneezing and exhaustion=just plain old under the weather also. Amazing it got into the mid 40's this morning tho. Come on fall and rain!

Tracey - do folks in your area have to wear face masks if they are sensitive and out for any length of time? I agree, many things we want to do outside but are restricted now. :s

Katla
    - that "baseline" blood test was pushed when Rosie went in for her spay last year at 6 months, and later last fall when she caught the bug Sophie had - loose stools. Both times I said "NO". After Sophie had her dental last month, they sent home a packet of pain killers - $45 when I later checked the bill. The vet tech said "if she needs them now or sometime later, you'll have them on hand". I asked her how I'd know if Sophie was in pain? She shrugged her shoulders. I really like this vet - thinking he's having some financial challenges with all the staff he has and his new building/surgery center.

Rye - loving those photos! Thank you for sharing them - good you are enjoying yourself. Does it make you want to move back to the Midwest?

Have a good Saturday ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

I haven’t seen anyone actually wearing masks, but they have warned people with asthma, respiratory conditions, etc to stay inside with windows closed. Most businesses that work outside are limiting their days or allowing employees to go home. My husband works outside and has had a headache most of the last two weeks.

It has cleared a bit this afternoon so I am going to mow the lawn.
    Tracey in Edmonton