Eating whatever you want?

2»

Replies

• LeacyPeacy
    LeacyPeacy Posts: 11 Member
    I pretty much do the same thing. Like you, I consider it a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sure, lots of people eat the cupcake. They are moderators. Other people don't have the cupcake, as that will trigger them to overeat. They are abstainers. Either is an equally valid option.

I moderate some foods, like pizza, and abstain from others, like Oreos.

I'm struggling to moderate ice cream. I do ok with low fat or froyo or single serve items, but still have difficulty moderating pints of full fat Ben & Jerry's, so it's better for me to just not buy them.

https://gretchenrubin.com/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

...When dealing with temptation, I often see the advice, “Be moderate. Don’t have ice cream every night, but if you try to deny yourself altogether, you’ll fall off the wagon. Allow yourself to have the occasional treat, it will help you stick to your plan.”

I’ve come to believe that this is good advice for some people: the “moderators.” They do better when they avoid absolutes and strict rules.

For a long time, I kept trying this strategy of moderation–and failing. Then I read a line from Samuel Johnson, who said, when someone offered him wine: “Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult.”

Ah ha! Like Dr. Johnson, I’m an “abstainer.”

I find it far easier to give something up altogether than to indulge moderately. When I admitted to myself that I was eating my favorite frozen yogurt treat very often—two and even three times a day—I gave it up cold turkey. That was far easier for me to do than to eat it twice a week. If I try to be moderate, I exhaust myself debating, “Today, tomorrow?” “Does this time ‘count’?” "Don't I deserve this?" etc. If I never do something, it requires no self-control for me; if I do something sometimes, it requires enormous self-control.

There’s no right way or wrong way—it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.

This. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    I eat the full #1 meal at McDonald’s, and even get an ice cream cone for desert. I lost 65 lbs doing that while maintaining a calorie deficit! I’m now maintaining my weight at 175 lbs which was my goal weight, went from a 44 waist to a 34 waist. Why are we still having to explain this. Yes you can eat whatever you want and still loose or maintain your weight!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Yes. I do that. I also eat McDonald’s full meal when I want it and when I plan for it (plus a McFlurry in some cases). I'm down 109 pounds.

Speaking of McDonald’s. They launched a new McFlurry here lately (with Lotus biscuits) and I decided to try it. I've always logged McFlurry at 556 calories because that's what google told me the "smaller" size had. Today, for some reason, I paid attention to the weight listed in that google nutrition sidebar and I thought "no way this weighs more than 300 grams" I weighed it, and our only default size weighs 170 grams. Turns out I've been overcounting the calories by a lot and the actual calories by weight is 303! This made me happy because now I can fit this into my diet more often.

I was so happy when I found that! I was also logging the higher amount and, yeah, they're significantly lower than 556. I like to have one every week.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Yes. I do that. I also eat McDonald’s full meal when I want it and when I plan for it (plus a McFlurry in some cases). I'm down 109 pounds.

Speaking of McDonald’s. They launched a new McFlurry here lately (with Lotus biscuits) and I decided to try it. I've always logged McFlurry at 556 calories because that's what google told me the "smaller" size had. Today, for some reason, I paid attention to the weight listed in that google nutrition sidebar and I thought "no way this weighs more than 300 grams" I weighed it, and our only default size weighs 170 grams. Turns out I've been overcounting the calories by a lot and the actual calories by weight is 303! This made me happy because now I can fit this into my diet more often.

I was so happy when I found that! I was also logging the higher amount and, yeah, they're significantly lower than 556. I like to have one every week.

Yeah, and I even used an entry that lists them at 170 something per 100 g just to be safe (google says 165), so it's likely even lower than 300 calories.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Bread and pasta are great foods. If wholewheat doesn't agree with you there's nothing wrong with sticking to the versions you enjoy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    slossia wrote: »
    I eat the full #1 meal at McDonald’s, and even get an ice cream cone for desert. I lost 65 lbs doing that while maintaining a calorie deficit! I’m now maintaining my weight at 175 lbs which was my goal weight, went from a 44 waist to a 34 waist. Why are we still having to explain this. Yes you can eat whatever you want and still loose or maintain your weight!

Nobody was asking for you to explain anything. OP was looking for other people who fit 'regular' foods into their diet.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    There are some lower calorie things I have started eating since joining here, but I only eat things I like, and I havent given up anything. I just make it fit by decreasing portion size, exercising more, or finding space by eating under my goal for a couple of days. I've only been working on this for the summer but I've been losing at the rate I had hoped for.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Nope you're not the only one. Yes its perfectly fine.

This ^^

That's how it works. :)
  • Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2018
    I tried doing that and gained 5lbs. (This when I was 5lbs away from my goal weight.) I’m so pissed. Now I’m back to eliminating simple carbs. Like the other poster said it’s easier for me to just abstain. Otherwise I would cupcakes everyday— all day. 😂 Good for you though! Definitely easier to lose weight if you can do it that way.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    I basically eat everything I want - I certainly eat bread and pasta, OP - but in order to not go hungry I did change some things.
    Not just the portions, the actual things.

eg swapped regular soda for diet coke. And aimed to eat more fruit and veg.