Having Stomach Issues, trying lactose free diet anyone

Hi there, I’m new to posting here and looking for anyone with similar issues and experience.... I went to London for 10 days in July and when I returned I was a bloated mess - couldn’t have any clothing touching my belly on the flight home! While I was there, near the end of the trip I started feeling overly full as I remember thinking I’m never hungry here.

I returned to the US and resumed my regular diet, the belly went away and I felt normal. Then we just went to Canada for 5 days and had same issue - not hungry, bloated distended belly but it hasn’t gone away and I’ve been back for 5 days. It seems calmer today but still sore. My brother is lactose intolerant and I cut out all milk products on Sunday.... most of the stuff I read seems to say that it only takes a couple of days max for it to work but if that’s the case, it hasn’t. Any similar situations?

Replies

• leetrautman
    leetrautman Posts: 2 Member
    I can’t do dairy. I just started having trouble a couple years ago. But am much better if I switch to almond milk. I avoid yogurt altogether. I can tolerate cheese as long as I don’t ingest too much.

Wonder if yours if related partially to the travel?
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    It can take up to 3 weeks for the effect of dairy to leave your system. I have IBD and have been feeling amazing since I went vegan last year :) as long as I don’t overdue it on the beans! Give it some time :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Did you drink a lot of milk in the UK and in Canada? Were there any other significant changes in the diet compared to what you eat at home? I'd look to the foods you actually consumed; see if there are any correlations to the UK and Canadian offerings. Try eliminating THOSE from your diet.

I used a similar technique to narrow down an almond allergy.
  • SammyW103
    SammyW103 Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks, yes a lot of foods I don’t typically drink or eat. Lots of creamers and cheese which I don’t eat much of at home. I am feeling better today, 1 week into lactose free but I blew up my calories eating french fries because I’m also vegetarian and there was literally nothing else for me to eat. I need to plan ahead to be able to do this!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    If the pain turns out to be related to fat, get your gall bladder checked.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    edited August 2018
    I recently (6 months ago) went dairy free (for certain reasons) it wasn’t actually for me but I noticed I feel WAY better since I have, so even when I don’t ‘have’ to anymore I think I’m going to stay dairy free. It’s a little hard at first (there is dairy in ALOT of stuff) but once you get the hang of it and know where it is and where to find alternatives it becomes a lot easier.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    So eliminate dairy for a few weeks, if everything clears up you know what the issue is. If not, make an appointment with your doctor.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    I've been dairy free for nearly 5 years and feel so much better now.
    I find yogurt being easier to digest, but it's not the same for everyone.
    I'd say go dairy free for at least a month and see if you benefit from it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    So eliminate dairy for a few weeks, if everything clears up you know what the issue is. If not, make an appointment with your doctor.

Not really, since OP also embarked on this dairy-free experiment immediately upon returning home from traveling, and both times OP had the problem, OP was traveling. You can't eliminate two variables and assume the results are from eliminating variable A and that variable B has nothing to do with it.
  • SammyW103
    SammyW103 Posts: 45 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

That is another thought I had because when I travel or otherwise eat out a lot I don’t feel great but this weeklong issue was beyond my normal discomfort.

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @jgnatca might be on to something but I think they mean eating fatty foods. If you have pain after eating fatty foods you might have some gal stones.

(Edit: I see understood jgnatca's comment.)
    Talk to your doctor, he might get you an ultrasound of your gal bladder. They can sometimes remove the stones, and if they have to remove the gal bladder it isn't a serious operation.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It could be that you ate different kind of food when traveling. Or a different schedule. If you flew, it could be that. Even if it's dairy, it's not necessarily lactose, it could be A2 protein that many are intolerant of.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Could it just be as the result of overindulgence? I just got back from a trip to the canary Islands and I am mega bloated but its due to eating lots of high sodium foods I don't usually eat.