The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Too Funny!! When I awoke this morn there was a message from a friend who works at the Wine store letting me know that she's been collecting wines for us to sample...For some reason I thought I had told her about going AF, but it would have been in the initial stages of my sobriety & she's used to me stopping & starting. I just think her timing is interesting in view of my recent realization in my above comment.

@Orphia can you expand on your comment about your definition of yourself not being cliche. I think that's an interesting expression but I'm not certain of exactly what you mean. I think I need to look up the word cliche LOL
    @Orphia Never mind, I looked up the word cliche!! But you can still expand on it.

I want to express my sympathies to you on the death of your "Tomorrow You" friend <3 The last time I was on the Less Alcohol thread I had seen your comment about her death, but I was too busy getting my stick out of the hornet's nest & got a little bit self asbsorbed.

It sounds like you are taking care of yourself through this, yet, I know how difficult losing a good friend can be. My BFF died after a year long battle with ovarian cancer a few months ago. So, my heart goes out to you :'(

@lorrainequiche59 Thank you so much! So sorry about your BFF. :heart:

I'm still thinking through what I mean by not being a cliché but the general idea is that I've always wanted to be original, in my artwork, in my clothing, in my thinking.

Not necessarily "alternative", because that has its own clichés.

I try to think things through.

I don't like following fads or following the herd. I prefer to follow the evidence.

That requires thinking things through, going into detail, and also looking at the bigger picture.

I have a photo of myself drinking champagne a few years before I discovered MFP.

MFP gave me the tools to lose weight, but that picture made me want to lose weight.

I wonder if the people who define themselves by their drinking are concerned about their image deep down, but try to justify their daily drinking by the fact that so many others do it. As if jumping off a bridge is OK because everyone does it.

I kind of rambled on a bit there, sorry! :smiley:

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Thanks for your kind support, friends. I was reading up on depression and quitting alcohol and saw the intro to a blog that probably expresses what I’m feeing this week.
    obs2qcxdgib8.png
  • RubyRed427
    blog continued:
    bupe9xibbo8t.png
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    Thanks, @RubyRed427. That helps explain these little wee "depressions" that have come and gone for me in the last 28 (!) days.

I truly love being alcohol free, but just last night, Saturday, I said to my husband at about 7:30, "Wow, we used to not wonder 'What shall we do?' at 7:30 on a Saturday when we were drinking." (He stopped drinking when I did, although his intention is not to remain AF forever because he truly can moderate). He said, "When we were drinking we weren't doing any more than we're doing now." I said, "Yeah, but it at least FELT like we were doing something." Isn't that weird???? I actually felt like drinking was an "activity," even if I was just drinking and vegging in front of the TV. Now, I realize vegging in front of the TV is really boring . . . so it's time to find real things to do because drinking doesn't mask the boringness. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else.

The good news is, this week weight started to fall off. It's taken a month. I've been eating super clean and not drinking, but it took 3 weeks for the scale to start moving.

Have a great, relaxing Sunday everyone.

Makes TOTAL sense to me!! "...at least I FELT like I was doing something...I actually felt like drinking was an 'activity'." The only thing that alcohol does is mess with our reality like you said & keeps us from changing what we NEED to change. It keeps us stuck in the muck!!!

YAY on the scale moving!! My quit drinking app says after 4 months most people experience weight loss JUST from stopping drinking, so obviously it's more than just less calories consumed. I'm thinking it may be because alcohol messes with how our body processes stuff on a deeper level than just calories in calories out.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @jeannemarie333, glad you are here! I'm sure you have a lot of wisdom to share with those of us who are new on this journey.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    quiet here,,Hope everyone had a nice weekend <3
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am on vacation but wanted to check in and say WELCOME to the new faces! We are a very supportive group and you will find lots of ideas for maintaining your sobriety here.

Hope you're enjoying your vacation! <3
  • RubyRed427
    xrsize4dad wrote: »
    Day 1 for me. I've lost weight and gained some back and a contributing factor has been drinking.

Yep, alcohol is all sugar. I read the body goes to work digesting it first and then the food second. Also, alcohol gives us dopamine kick so sometimes it’s ok if you have a little sweet treat handy to substitute. But that may not help your weight loss goals.
  • RubyRed427
    joha5603 wrote: »
    Welcome @melissa24 and @xrsize4dad ! I'm only on day 16 AF but loving every minute of it. If you're really struggling with addiction, I think the first week is the hardest. Drop in here as often as you can -- it will likely help! These seem like really good people with a ton of insight and encouragement. Be well, people. :)

I think around day 10, I started to feel much better. I enjoy reading your posts. Xo