Hit goal but want more.

I had my 3rd baby at 42 years old. He he 20 months now. I will be 44 in april. I have been working out since I was 16 years old. I started lifting weights at 18

In my 20s i was in "my best shape". Size 2, 3 hours a day of exercise, diet pills, not eating, weight was 135-140 im 5'8"
But i had headaches everyday, depression, stomach issues.

In my 30s i was able to get off antidepressants through exercise but i suffered 4 miscarriages, 3 rounds of ivf, 2 amazing kids and my lowest weight was 150. By eating real food, portion control, lifting weights, tabata training, and yoga. No more headaches.
Now at 43, 20 months after my 3rd surprise baby. I am now in the best shape of my life. I feel better than I did in my 20s. More energy, lifting heavier than I did before, running/sprint training, tabata training, and yoga.
No magic pills, no special diet. Just eating 3 balanced meals of real food.

I took a biggest loser challange at work almost 3 months ago and hit my goal i originally set. I wanted to hit 145 started at 155. Now im 143.
But i think i want to change my goal to 135. I havent been 135 since my 20s. Im not even sure its possible. Im still breastfeeding, im on point with food, and exercise

Question, how do you know you hit your goal?

I think i could lose a little more. I want to see what else my body can do. Can I lift a little more? Lose a little more? Sprint a little faster? These are questions i ask myself. Im determined to see.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    My goal is no longer a weight goal, I couldn't care less what the scale says. Instead, I go for a look I'm happy with - I also find performance based goals give me a different focus and stop the importance being on my look if I get too caught up in my physique.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Congrats on your progress!

I never had a weight goal. I was focused on my body composition and measurements when I was losing and I pretty much stopped losing weight once I was happy with my body in clothes.

I still had lots of work to do to be happy with my body out of clothes, so I changed up my workouts.

After a couple of years of maintenance I was happy and called it a final goal.

Years later I'm still maintaining what I've worked so hard for. However, I'm not done and I still work hard and stay vigilant everyday.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    You know you hit you goal when you quit trying to change......which for many of us can be a slippery slope at best. You think you know what you want until you have it, then decide you want something else. Stir, repeat, set new goal.

If you want to drop a little more weight then try it. Personally though I think you should be cautious about the speed of loss while you are still breastfeeding. A number of women have reported loss of milk if they make the deficit too large. It might be wise to focus more on performance type goals rather than the weight loss until you quit breastfeeding.

As for finding that ultimate end goal, sometimes it's elusive.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2018
    Congrats on your loss and your great fitness routine! I encourage you focus on your fitness goals now rather than the scale.
    3 hours a day of exercise, diet pills, not eating, weight was 135-140 im 5'8"

After reading how you described your physical and mental health when you were at 135, I'm not sure why you feel that's the ideal place to be. You are at a very healthy weight for your height. Losing another 10 could actually detract from your weight lifting and running goals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats on your loss and your great fitness routine! I encourage you focus on your fitness goals now rather than the scale.
    3 hours a day of exercise, diet pills, not eating, weight was 135-140 im 5'8"

After reading how you described your physical and mental health when you were at 135, I'm not sure why you feel that's the ideal place to be. You are at a very healthy weight for your height. Losing another 10 could actually detract from your weight lifting and running goals.

Agreed, I found it really sad that you described that as your 'best'
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Thats why i put it in quotes. "My best shape". I looked on the outside in the best shape but wasnt at all.

Now at 43 im in the best shape mentally and physically. . I have more energy, no depression in 10plus years, no headaches, no stomach issues, no body image issues, no need to workout hours a day, one hour is my time that i enjoy and love and with 3 kids its just a mood booster. I am happy with where i am. I thought when i started 145 was my goal now at 143 i feel like i want to reach a new goal. Get stronger, leaner, faster in sprinting,even in yoga im more flexible have more balance. I want to reach 135 but keep on doing it in a healthy way. I guess i want to prove to myself i can do it healthy and not how it was before.

I guess goals can change. Not only the number on the scale but my physical goals i was to achieve. I want to keep lifting more, keep running faster, keep getting more flexiable and work on balanced poses.

And im happy im doing it in the most healthy way. Not cutting any food groups, eating 3 balanced meals homemade,not feeling like im dieting just a way of life.

As for breastfeeding never cutting out calories to low either. Hes more morning, night, and before nap now and at almost 2 its a comfort thing not his main source of nutrition.