Toe position while squatting?

happytree923
happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Quick question about squat form, is it ok to have my toes out at about a 30-45 degree angle? Angling my toes feels natural and allows me to squat deeper but a trainer told me I have to keep my toes straight. I'm getting a lot of mixed information on the internet.

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Your trainer is wrong.

More important for form in terms of your feet is heels down (use small weight plates underneath if you need to).
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Your trainer would hate to work with my husband then. He can't point his toes perfectly straight. He naturally stands with his toes in a 30-45 degree angle.

Your trainer is incorrect.
    shaf238 wrote: »
    More important for form in terms of your feet is heels down (use small weight plates underneath if you need to).

^This. Heels down. I've always been told that you should be able to wiggle your toes slightly when you're doing a squat.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    I've always been told in BodyPump to turn feet outwards slightly when squatting.........to the 30 degree type angle......feet straight forward feels weird now
  • happytree923
    Great to know I’m not crazy! I thought there was something wrong with my mobility but stretching/practicing was not making straight toes easier. I’m not working with that trainer anymore, there were a few other things she said that I knew were off.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    My trainer told me that either way is OK, just make sure to keep the heels down and don't let the knees go inward. I angle my feet about 30 degrees, I can go deeper into the squat that way.
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    Everyone is different, you are different
    Try to do a variation with light weights and see what feels comfortable,
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    No reputable coach/trainer will tell you there is only one way to squat. I squat with a wide stance with my feet slightly angled out, I've seen stances so wide they look sumo, narrow stance and the weirdest was narrow stance with feet angled out, it looked like a plie, but she got depth, so good for her.
  • happytree923
    Cascadae wrote: »

I’ve tried body weight, goblet squats, light barbell squats and the only one that feels ok with straight toes is goblet squats. I guess because having the weight in front helps me balance.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Cascadae wrote: »

Agreed. A lot of this comes down to individual anatomy and mobility. Do whatever keeps you stable and controlled.
  • UKWildcatDave
    UKWildcatDave Posts: 15 Member
    Angle them so that your knees naturally travel over your toes and also keeps your knees from collapsing on the ascent.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Dan John recommended jumping up and landing. You will usually land with your toes pointed in a good direction for squatting.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Toes forward is perfectly fine. Though a good initial starting position for squats as well as deadlifts will be toes out about 15-20 degrees with feet shoulder width and adjust from there to the individual.

For somebody like myself I need my toes out to allow my torso to drop between my thighs since I have a generally narrow stance. Otherwise I could never hit below parallel.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    30-45 degrees might be a little extreme, but 5-15 degrees is fine. If you need to go out that far, you probably have some underlying ankle mobility or core stability issues.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Quick question about squat form, is it ok to have my toes out at about a 30-45 degree angle? Angling my toes feels natural and allows me to squat deeper but a trainer told me I have to keep my toes straight. I'm getting a lot of mixed information on the internet.

Get a new trainer