Kinesiology tape

Has anyone tried kinesiology tape? I have heard conflicting views on it. Some say that it supports injury others say its placebo effect. I have an achilles injury and been advised to try it

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I used it for knee ligament damage
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I used it in a half-marathon after I had injured a hamstring. It worked for me because it kept me from extending my leg past the pain point, but it was pretty obvious I was favoring one leg. It had no magic healing properties.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    i was dubious but i've used it for training and running two half marathons-also ran 2 without.
    i was in less pain after the ones i taped. (i get peroneal tendonitis)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Achilles injury?
    I guess you would have to know exactly what your injury is and how extensive it is.
    A torn Achilles is a serious matter -- too serious for tape.
    Here's my take on kinesiology tape: I have to think that the idea of anchoring the skin to protect and support the muscles and/or tendons makes no sense. The connections between the two are just not that great.
    That said, I see all kinds of professional athletes using it. I am going to guess that if anybody would know whether it works or not, it would be an athlete with tons of experience. They would know.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I used it consistently for plantar fasciitis, after PT & treatment, and only on my runs. It worked well enough for me to consistently pay for it. I haven’t used it in about a year, but I’ve kept up with my PR plan.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    I’ve used it when I’ve run out Goat tape on my thumbs for when I hook. Works okay, but not recommended.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    I've used it since I had a bad case of peroneal tendonosis. It really helped me get through the injury until I was healed. I could actually walk without pain while taped or when using a compression sleeve.
    I use it now for the occasional shin splint and for knee support when they bother me (arthritis).
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    I use it for long running events. I previously broke my ankle and there is some permanent soft tissue damage.

My physio will tape it up with KT tape for support and so that I can't roll my ankle.

It works for me but does depend what you use it for
  • mojo4717
    mojo4717 Posts: 256 Member
    Definitely supporting and less pain
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited August 2018
    I've used it for mostly niggles and for running while still injured (don't try this at home!), as well as to prevent blisters. Works awesome to a point. Still, listen to your body always.

Edit: oh, and to prevent injuries during races. For example I tend to tape my knees before long trails, or up ITB for marathons as a preventive measure.
  • drewettheidi
    drewettheidi Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone, I might give it a try, it’s not a serious injury but it bothers me when I train, wearing an ankle support is too restrictive.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thanks everyone, I might give it a try, it’s not a serious injury but it bothers me when I train, wearing an ankle support is too restrictive.

I was recommended to use it by a physio. Have you had your injury diagnosed?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2018

I was recommended to use it by a physio. Have you had your injury diagnosed?
    Right. My question was who is giving OP this advice? A medical professional or ...???
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    yep, I have a shoulder that is prone to fold up like cheap origami.

the tape helps a lot.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    I currently have a case of peroneal tendonitis. I tried an ankle brace, but it immobilized my ankle too much and I couldn't skate with it. I was skeptical about kinesio tape, but a physio suggested it to me. I didn't see how it would help, but I figured I would try it. I was shocked at how well it worked. I can now skate pain free, but still have movement in my ankle. The strain is getting better, but I will keep the tape in my bag for the future!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    I currently have a case of peroneal tendonitis. I tried an ankle brace, but it immobilized my ankle too much and I couldn't skate with it. I was skeptical about kinesio tape, but a physio suggested it to me. I didn't see how it would help, but I figured I would try it. I was shocked at how well it worked. I can now skate pain free, but still have movement in my ankle. The strain is getting better, but I will keep the tape in my bag for the future!

It's awesome for that. I also have an ankle compression sleeve that helped a lot too. By Tommie Copper. Very thin and light but really helped.
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    Helped with the pain I was having in my inner knee.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    I have used it for my knee and elbow it has helped.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I have never seen so many people in one place with peroneal tendonitis before, I thought I'd never meet one person who had it let alone 3!

I have used it in the past for peroneal tendonitis. Funny the peroneal tendonitis is part of the reason I started on my journey to a healthier lifestyle.

I have also used it when I strained my extensor tendons on my other foot with aggressive use of the arc trainer. Helped tremendously with that. It was a much shorter term injury.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    I've used it on my knees, does it offer as much support as a neoprene knee wrap, no, but it's nice in that middle of the road, where my knees don't need the full support of the neoprene wrap, but there not quite pain free enough to go naked.
    I've read where they are suppose to increase circulation, that I don't believe, but I do like the support it gives.