Intermittent fasting!

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting since Sunday while remaining in a caloric deficit! So far I’m really enjoying it! It works great for my lifestyle & makes my relationship with food SO MUCH BETTER.

I feel like I’m leaning out but the scale isn’t moving much which is to be expected but I’m wondering how long it takes for your body to adjust to IF?!

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Your liver stores enough glycogen to keep your blood sugar even for at least 24 hours. Therefore you have adjusted. IF is not magic. I think it helps with maintaining the caloric deficit because you are limiting when you are eating. For me I'm very busy in the morning anyway and I don't get hungry until lunch. Then I'm not hungry again all day. However, you are losing weight because of a caloric deficit.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If you are talking about your hunger lessening in the morning time I have heard it takes 2 weeks for some people and I have heard for some people it never happens.

I don't remember ever actually choosing to skip breakfast. For me this is natural and has been for a very long time. I wish it were not so natural on the weekends but for me there are consequences to eating in the morning that are best avoided.
  • mouthynme2
    mouthynme2 Posts: 1 Member
    I haven't eaten breakfast since I was in my teens. It seems like if I eat in the morning I feel hungry all day long and then end up eating way too much later. I'm a back once again because of the steriods I had to take for my lungs. Now that my lungs are better here I am with 35 xtra pounds...UGH! What I do know for sure is I have a 52 mile backpacking hike coming up on September 10th and I need to get this weight off before the hike. I haven't stepped on a scale since I started cutting back. It would just discourage me. Maybe tomorrow will be the big weigh in day. Right now want to think up a good nickname for my page here...
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    If you feel leaner than that is all that matters, rock on. I have been IF for several months now and keto for a year and a half prior. I may be in the minority here but I do think there is an adjustment period. I skip breakfast to allow for an overnight fast of 16-18 hours and initially it was tough some days, now it is super easy and I eat when I'm hungry instead of following a clock to know it is lunch or dinner.
  • LauraSrock18
    LauraSrock18 Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2018
    To clarify, I was referring to hunger in the mornings & the eating window feeling natural, for the adjustment. not a sudden drop in weight!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    To clarify, I was referring to hunger in the mornings & the eating window feeling natural, for the adjustment. not a sudden drop in weight!

I wouldn't force IF - it's something I'd do if it felt natural to do it. If you are forcing it, i think it could lead to overeating when you actually get to eat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

I wouldn't force IF - it's something I'd do if it felt natural to do it. If you are forcing it, i think it could lead to overeating when you actually get to eat.

^ This is a valid point worthy of consideration. I do IF because it does feel natural to me. I'm not particularly hungry in the morning and I'm very hungry in the evening, so it works for me to skip breakfast, have a decent lunch and a big dinner/dessert.

Experiment with what feels best to you in terms of satiety. Some people do best on multiple small meals spread throughout the day, some do better with 2-3 meals, some get along just fine on one meal a day. There's no wrong answer - whichever one fits your preferences the best is the one which will be most successful for you. Don't force yourself into an eating pattern you struggle with.